NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

J25

A short delay as I have been back to the Northeast for a short break but the first batch of twelve J25s are definitely ready to go.

ArthurK

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

My P1 kit arrived on Monday but it might be a while before I make a start on it as my son also arrived! I've managed to have a quick look through the box and instructions in the brief moments when there's been a lull in the new fatherly duties! I was most impressed with the pre rolled tender raves, a lovely touch, as they've always been a pain on other NER locos I've built!

Looking forward to making a start, but also happy that it could be a while!

Cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

My P1 kit arrived on Monday but it might be a while before I make a start on it as my son also arrived! I've managed to have a quick look through the box and instructions in the brief moments when there's been a lull in the new fatherly duties! I was most impressed with the pre rolled tender raves, a lovely touch, as they've always been a pain on other NER locos I've built!

Looking forward to making a start, but also happy that it could be a while!

Cheers

J

Congratulations :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

My P1 kit arrived on Monday but it might be a while before I make a start on it as my son also arrived! I've managed to have a quick look through the box and instructions...

I didn't realise new borns came with instructions :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, ArthurK said:

Today, another birthday! Time to sit back and reflect on how I got here.

My interest in railways began in my very early years. In WW1 my father was a Sapper. After a spell on the NW frontier he was sent to Mesopotamia (now Iraq). He spent time building pontoon bridges at Basra but was later deployed on the armoured trains operating in that area. During his stay in India he acquired a Kodak 116 camera (which I still have) and took many photos during his deployment.

Afterwards he returned to his family at Swalwell. His mother had a shop on Cross Street. He followed family tradition and had a Newsagents/General dealer on Market Lane. I don’t think that he ever lost his interest in railways because after I came along, I wasn’t very old when I was taken to see Silver Jubilee at Newcastle. Later a present of the Hornby replica (?) arrived. It was their standard 0-4-0 with stream-lined clothing towing matching tender and a pair of articulated coaches. My Tinplate collection was added to each birthday and Xmas culminating in the “Flying Scotsman” It was a 4-4-2 with Belpair firebox. Things like that didn’t matter then.

My uncle Walter was a loco fireman. He learned his job at Blaydon Burn colliery and later the LNER shed at Blaydon his next move was to Tweedmouth. I visited on school holidays. They lived in railway housing from which trains at the southern end of the Royal Border Bridge were clearly visible. I recall seeing the “Coronation” on its journey to and from Edinburgh. Another memory was a Sentinel railcar “Royal Charlotte”, resplendent in green and cream livery.

In the late thirties aunts and children gathered for a communal holiday at Seahouses on the Northumberland coast. That involved an early train from the station at Swalwell to Newcastle, then up the mainline to Chathill. The last leg was on the North Sunderland Railway. At that time there was only one engine operating, a Vickers Armstrong diesel named “Lady Armstrong”. The carriages were a motley collection of ancient GER and NER origin. One I recall had its seats along the sides and table in the centre,

By that time the war was upon us, Things changed. My uncle and family moved from Tweedmouth to Hull. Holidays were put on hold until 1943/44 after which I spent many happy hours trainspotting at Tyneside, York and Hull. I was hooked! There is a lot more to tell but that’s it for now.

In case you haven’t worked it out I have just entered my ninetieth year.

For those of you waiting for announcements of new kits, you wont have long to wait, The F8 is close to release plus another not far behind.

ArthurK

Many Happy Returns Sir!

• Agree 2

A belated very happy birthday Arthur!

Some great reminiscences there - you've actually seen what most of us only wish we'd seen!  As you probably know, the Sentinel railcar "Royal Charlotte" worked the Kelso branch for several years before moving away from Tweedmouth in (I think) the early 40s.

Unlike Riverside's post above, I'm just getting ready to start one of my D20s (only been in the cupboard about 5 years), but I'm also looking forward to the Q7 and the C6!

Happy Birthday again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Arthur will probably kill me for this, buy it’s important. Matthew has taken over Arthur’s whitemetal casting and he has asked for some tender axlebox/spring castings. We are not happy with the quality we’re getting.  We are quite happy to make a new mould and start again so I rang Arthur and asked for the patterns. I understand they were from David Geen kits. We looked at our Q6 mould, but they aren’t the same. I am therefore asking have any of you got a set of these castings that are of high enough quality that you would be happy for us to duplicate. 

Arthur is a friend of long standing who worked with me and who I hold in great affection. He started Northeastern kits when he was about 4 years older than I am now!

Roger Chivers

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2021 at 11:51, ArthurK said:

Today, another birthday! Time to sit back and reflect on how I got here.

My interest in railways began in my very early years. In WW1 my father was a Sapper. After a spell on the NW frontier he was sent to Mesopotamia (now Iraq). He spent time building pontoon bridges at Basra but was later deployed on the armoured trains operating in that area. During his stay in India he acquired a Kodak 116 camera (which I still have) and took many photos during his deployment.

Afterwards he returned to his family at Swalwell. His mother had a shop on Cross Street. He followed family tradition and had a Newsagents/General dealer on Market Lane. I don’t think that he ever lost his interest in railways because after I came along, I wasn’t very old when I was taken to see Silver Jubilee at Newcastle. Later a present of the Hornby replica (?) arrived. It was their standard 0-4-0 with stream-lined clothing towing matching tender and a pair of articulated coaches. My Tinplate collection was added to each birthday and Xmas culminating in the “Flying Scotsman” It was a 4-4-2 with Belpair firebox. Things like that didn’t matter then.

My uncle Walter was a loco fireman. He learned his job at Blaydon Burn colliery and later the LNER shed at Blaydon his next move was to Tweedmouth. I visited on school holidays. They lived in railway housing from which trains at the southern end of the Royal Border Bridge were clearly visible. I recall seeing the “Coronation” on its journey to and from Edinburgh. Another memory was a Sentinel railcar “Royal Charlotte”, resplendent in green and cream livery.

In the late thirties aunts and children gathered for a communal holiday at Seahouses on the Northumberland coast. That involved an early train from the station at Swalwell to Newcastle, then up the mainline to Chathill. The last leg was on the North Sunderland Railway. At that time there was only one engine operating, a Vickers Armstrong diesel named “Lady Armstrong”. The carriages were a motley collection of ancient GER and NER origin. One I recall had its seats along the sides and table in the centre,

By that time the war was upon us, Things changed. My uncle and family moved from Tweedmouth to Hull. Holidays were put on hold until 1943/44 after which I spent many happy hours trainspotting at Tyneside, York and Hull. I was hooked! There is a lot more to tell but that’s it for now.

In case you haven’t worked it out I have just entered my ninetieth year.

For those of you waiting for announcements of new kits, you wont have long to wait, The F8 is close to release plus another not far behind.

ArthurK

Hello Arthur,

Rather late on this one, but surely 'just entered my 90th year' means you were celebrating reaching 89?

Please put me on the list for an F8 kit if you have not done already so.

Very best wishes,

John

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Arthur I hope you are keeping well, 

Is there any update on when we might see the Q7 or on the fittings for the C6 (which I will use on the C7's) Also is there an up to date list of the fittings which are available please?

Many thanks

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, micklner said:

Plus the F8, and the J21, are you taking orders for the J21 ?

Things are progressing very slowly at the moment. I have N10s,F8s and J25s  being  packed also some Tennants. the first J21 etches are also to to hand, The major hold up is rolling boilers. I have to ask if the lack of a  rolled boiler is a  serious deterrent to buying  my kits? I would be more than willing to supply them flat. I find the task of rolling very laborious today. Tender flares are less of a problem but again I would rather supply these in the flat. 

In answer to Micklner, Yes, I am taking orders for the J21

There have been enquiries about progress of the Q7. This is stalled at the moment, but I  am being pressurised into pushingg on with this. I am still haven't decided what goes between the frames. There are rear ends of the valve guides and the middle cylinder/con-rod to source.

That leaves the C6. Again the hold-up is the castings (chimney, dome, safety valves etc.) but the one things that will take the most time  are the outside springs/axleboxes. These will laminated from etches then assembled and fettled. There are two sizes for these. The tender axleboxes were latterly fitted with an unusual rubber dampers, Just another task. Fortunately, unlike the Q7, there are no internals obvious visible on this one.

Plenty to be going on with.

ArthurK

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium
On 22/11/2021 at 22:48, John Smart said:

Hello Arthur,

Rather late on this one, but surely 'just entered my 90th year' means you were celebrating reaching 89?

Please put me on the list for an F8 kit if you have not done already so.

Very best wishes,

John

NO! should have said 91st

• Like 3