NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

7 hours ago, ArthurK said:

I have thought long and hard about the best way to build a 2-4-2 Chassis. This has to be flexible enough to traverse track radii encountered in the 4mm model. The ‘A class’ (LNER F8) which has a wheelbase of 7’ 6” + 8’ 1 ½” + 7’ 6”, total 23’ 1 ½”. The original had straight frames and relied on radial trucks front and back. These were centred on a point at the centre of the driving axles. The frames were 4’ apart and 1” thick. With the tyres at 4’ 5 5/8” this allowed a side-play only little more than 1 1/2 “.

On the model, this wheel arrangement has problems in that If there are swinging trucks front and rear then. without some form of spring restraint the model will tend to waddle along the track. We can use radial trucks on the model but, they will certainly need some form of centre spring. 

You could use a minimalist 'radial' truck. This can be supported by either single wire, so it rocks, or by twin spring wires. They are useful on radial locos where the pivot of a pony truck would be in a inconvenient place. 

They can really confuse builders though...

1521850473_LFF1201instrp2.png.11e2f39bca900ea8fe9be43d3f99aac0.png

I'm another one in the '0-6-2 style setup' camp. It's better for stability than the GEM method in George's LNWR 2-4-2T that I built some 46 years ago! From memory that one definitely 'waddled'! As I recall, it was basically an 0-4-0 arrangement for the drivers with large castings to represent the frames as pony trucks at each end.

Mark

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Daddyman said:

How does that work with frame cutouts, Mike? I'd rather avoid them, and Arthur may want to too, given that he's speaking about narrowing the frames as per the prototype.  

Narrowed frames work, at least down to 28" radius, for all the radial axles I've done.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Narrowed frames work, at least down to 28" radius, for all the radial axles I've done.

Thanks, Mike. Just to be clear, when you say work, you mean they make frame cut-outs unnecessary? 

The design for the LNWR 4'6" 2-4-2T from London Road Models has radial trucks (as per the prototype) and narrowed frames. It was designed for 24" radius in 00 or 30" in EM/P4 although clearances are extremely tight at those radii. The truck is centralised and sprung with a wire spring as shown. Any more narrowing of the frames didn't look good.

Chassis completed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks, Mike. Just to be clear, when you say work, you mean they make frame cut-outs unnecessary? 

No cut outs at all on the C14 4-4-2T I've built recently, including behind the bogie wheels. I did mark the frames there for cut outs in case they were necessary though. That one has the frame plan exactly as the GC built it, just narrowed for 00 gauge, other railways may well have had different frame widths and joggles. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Paul Cram said:

I would prefer radial trucks for and aft.

Could I ask why, Paul? Is it for prototype fidelity, or because in your experience these work well? Don't you think the 0-6-2 idea would be simpler? 

Mike, when you say you have had no success with radials, have you built them with centralising springs as on Jol's model? 

Edited by Daddyman

20 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Could I ask why, Paul? Is it for prototype fidelity, or because in your experience these work well? Don't you think the 0-6-2 idea would be simpler? 

Mike, when you say you have had no success with radials, have you built them with centralising springs as on Jol's model? 

Yes for prototype fideleiity and having operated London Road I can say that Jol's work well.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/10/2020 at 09:27, Jol Wilkinson said:

The design for the LNWR 4'6" 2-4-2T from London Road Models has radial trucks (as per the prototype) and narrowed frames. It was designed for 24" radius in 00 or 30" in EM/P4 although clearances are extremely tight at those radii. The truck is centralised and sprung with a wire spring as shown. Any more narrowing of the frames didn't look good.

@Jol Wilkinson The photo you posted - does that show the model with P4 gauging?

14 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

@Jol Wilkinson The photo you posted - does that show the model with P4 gauging?

Yes it does. That's of my own P4 LNWR 2-4-2T, but I built both OO and P4 gauges version from the test etches to check them. The kit also has EM frame spacers.

One of the first P4 locos I built (many years ago) was of the LNWR 5' 6" 2-4-2T from a M&L kit. I built that with a set of Gibson milled frames, in an 0-6-2T configuration, which has been fine on London Road where the tightest curve is an A5 point although the majority are B6.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2020 at 08:16, Daddyman said:

Yes, in the Finney A3 kit etc. but it always gave trouble with sticky slides in practice.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, just read through this thread and I’m really interested if any of the 2-4-0, 0-6-0 or 0-6-2 engines are available currently? Long term plan to build an NER layout and aware that until the G5 and railcar arrive, kit-built engines are all I will find to keep my J72 company. Thanks!

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

Hi, just read through this thread and I’m really interested if any of the 2-4-0, 0-6-0 or 0-6-2 engines are available currently? Long term plan to build an NER layout and aware that until the G5 and railcar arrive, kit-built engines are all I will find to keep my J72 company. Thanks!

Stocks are pretty low at the moment. i think that I have a couple of  J73s, also six J71s awaiting packing.  The N10s that arrived last week are all reserved. The Tennant 2-4-0  and J24 0-6-0 are out of stock. The J25 should,  at last, will be available early in the New Year.  There is a long list of those wanting that.

ArthurK

• Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Stocks are pretty low at the moment. i think that I have a couple of  J73s, also six J71s awaiting packing.  The N10s that arrived last week are all reserved. The Tennant 2-4-0  and J24 0-6-0 are out of stock. The J25 should,  at last, will be available early in the New Year.  There is a long list of those wanting that.

ArthurK

The J77’s, are they fletcher round or worsdell square cabs? 

44 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Sorry I don't have any J77s But  the Fletcher cab is the round-top one. 

ArthurK

:blush: bit of a failure in my part to RTFQ (but in this case, the answer to my question). When they come back in I’d be interested to know, or should I put my name down for the next batch?

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

:blush: bit of a failure in my part to RTFQ (but in this case, the answer to my question). When they come back in I’d be interested to know, or should I put my name down for the next batch?

I have two others who want the Fletcher cab version.  I order these in batches of six, so if I add you to the list I am half way there. Delivery will take at least three months and Xmas  is looming.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

Arthur,

Sorry to interupt the flow!

Do you have etches for a G5 0-4-4T? Sorry if you have been asked this too many times already. I plan to build one for a MR Club. I am aware of the London Road Models version but thought I'd ask you too.

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium

Arthur,

Please ignore my message - I have downloaded your brochure and this gives full info.

My excuse is still recovering from our move to Buxton - last Wednesday - no time for doing anything except unpack boxes!

Kind regards and keep up the excellent work,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Arthur,

Please ignore my message - I have downloaded your brochure and this gives full info.

Please forgive my ignorance, as I'm just a lurker on this thread, but where does one download a brochure for Northeastern Kits?  I would be very interested in seeing one!

Regards

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Spelling

16 minutes ago, RichardT said:

Please forgive my ignorance, as I'm just a lurker on this thread, but where does one download a brochure for Northeastern Kits?  I would be very interested in seeing one!

Regards

Richard T

Look on page 11 halfway down. Arthur also sells castings from the kits ,very good service

• Agree 1