NORTHEASTERN KITS

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

NER 290 CLASS (LNER J77)

Apart from sandboxes and front springs this is looking almost complete. A pretty little engine. Must glue that buffer on!

post-6751-0-79623600-1365177984_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-03352300-1365178001_thumb.jpg

Now that I have this in a presentable (but unfinished) state It is time to push ahead with my other developments. I will announce these shortly - watch this space.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Things are moving again. Following the J77 announced above we next have another which should prove popular. This has passed its test builds both by myself and by Mike Meggison. His build is the one in the photograph. Mine isn't quite so far advanced as it lacks the footplate steps.

NER Class U (LNER N10)

There were twenty locos built to this design. Initially they were fitted with Westinghouse brakes. They LNER added vacuum brakes. The reverted to steam brake only in late LNER days. Three had the vacuum brakes reinstated for pilot duties at Hull Paragon and elsewhere.

post-6751-0-48406000-1366236568_thumb.jpg

Another announcement tomorrow.

ArthurK

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

THE ONE THAT YOU REALLY WANT

NER CLASS R 4-4-0 LNER D20

I now have successful test builds of this well known class. Readers of these pages will be aware of the D20 chassis builds by Mike Meggison. We have both now built the body. We have not encountered any serious problems with this so it is now down to me producing the production artwork. As usual  Mike is ahead of me in the additions of details so again it is his build shown below. I intend to describe my own build and that of the N10 in "Arthur's Workshop"

post-6751-0-82739300-1366302001_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-40213300-1366302196_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 10

NORTHEASTERN KITS

THE ONE THAT YOU REALLY WANT

NER CLASS R 4-4-0 LNER D20

I now have successful test builds of this well known class. Readers of these pages will be aware of the D20 chassis builds by Mike Meggison. We have both now built the body. We have not encountered any serious problems with this so it is now down to me producing the production artwork. As usual  Mike is ahead of me in the additions of details so again it is his build shown below. I intend to describe my own build and that of the N10 in "Arthur's Workshop"

attachicon.gifP1130001.jpg

attachicon.gifP1080001A.jpg

ArthurK

Oh dear, more expense!  You're right: it is "the one we really want".  Despite having an unbuilt Chivers kit in the drawer (which I know Arthur designed), I could still probably do with another couple.  (And where did that N10 come from: don't really need one of those, but it does look nice!)

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

Now that I am returned from Scaleforum North It is time to sit and ponder as to where we are and where we go next. First thanks to those who took the time to come and chat. It is good to be able to put faces to names that I only know from RMWEB or from Emails.

My stock of kits has been somewhat depleted and I have been especially encouraged by the sales of the A6. Currently I have stocks of the J24 (three only), J73 (one only), Q5/1 and Q5/2 and the A6. I have placed an order for six more sets of etches for the J73. These will probably be the last so if you want one of these please let me know.

The future releases will be led by the W 4-6-0T. This has an error on the coupling rods ( the fluting was etched through). I will get a supplementary etch with these and with the reverse quadrant (that fell out of the etch as it had no tags to hold it). Then I believe we will be in business. This will be the first set of frames to have cosmetic springs as part of the frame. I have taken this decision after experience with the B15 where there is virtually no room to add subsidiary spacers to which to attach separate removable springs. EM and OO modellers will normally solder the springs to the frames so it will make their task easier. HighLevel style hornblocks can be used in the normal way but of course the axleboxes cannot be dropped out of the frames. Comments on this approach are welcomed.

Following on the Tennant 2-4-0 should not be far behind. I now have masters for the front springs and axlebox. All I need now is the screw reverse for the cab.

The B15 (S2) can now enter the production phase thanks to my own build and that of Mike Meggison. I have been developing the Q7 footplate along the lines of using a cradle similar to that used on the B15. This should ensure that the 'dropped' footplate at front and rear can be formed accurately.

Both versions of the J77 (NER 290) are progressing well. The Worsdell cab version has already been shown in these pages. I have the etches for the Fletcher cab version but have not had time to build it yet. Mike Meggison has a set of these. He may beat me to it.

Last but not least the other two scheduled for Autumn release are the N10 (U) and the D20 ®. Mike Meggison is currently writing up his builds of these. My own thread "Arthur's Workshop" has been dormant for some time but I intend to wake it up in the near future.

Beyond that - who knows. From comments at the weekend an A8 would go down well as would the C7 Atlantic. There are others who would prefer something older such as the '398' or the McDonnell '59' but I cannot do them all!

Any feedback is very welcome.

ArturK

• Like 1

the Tennant 2-4-0 should not be far behind

Hurrah!

B15 (S2) can now enter the production phase

Hurray!

scheduled for Autumn release are the N10

Encore!

It seems to me that one of the biggest gaps in the coverage of North Eastern locos is the F8. 

• RMweb Premium

Hurrah!

Hurray!

Encore!

It seems to me that one of the biggest gaps in the coverage of North Eastern locos is the F8. 

I have some sympathy for the F8. The biggest thing against it is that they didn't last long into LNER days. Having said that I do have the GA and may well consider it - some day!

ArthurK

I dunno.....I keep thinking that the B15 Stumpf Uniflow would be great, just for a laugh.....

What about the ultimate North Eastern Railway locomotive? A Raven pacific, maybe even the Gresley modified version.

It would certainly save you having to hunt around for unobtainable DJH kits.

I have to agree with most of the above proposals for loco's especially the F8 and C7. The A8 would be interesting especially if available in un-rebuilt form as the 4.4.4. But I think the Class Y (A7) looks a far better proportioned loco with its long coal bunker.
One of the earlier 4.4.0's would be nice though - either a 492 Whitby Bogie or a McDonnell class 38.

Then of course there is Blythe and Tyne Goods 0.6.0, so ugly (I am thinking cab style here)that in a perverse kind of way it is elegant.

I am sure there will be many other differing views of what Arthur should consider, but whatever his choice have NER modellers ever been in a better position.

Edited by Blue Max

• 2 weeks later...

Dearest Arthur

Could I please have a 1001 too.A classic ex.S&D central division locomotive.I can see one romping through my model moorland already.

I tell you what I wouldn't mind one of the N10's either.

Edited by iainp

• RMweb Premium

Dearest Arthur

Could I please have a 1001 too.A classic ex.S&D central division locomotive.I can see one romping through my model moorland already.

I tell you what I wouldn't mind one of the N10's either.

I have to agree with most of the above proposals for loco's especially the F8 and C7. The A8 would be interesting especially if available in un-rebuilt form as the 4.4.4. But I think the Class Y (A7)      looks a far better proportioned loco with its long coal bunker.
One of the earlier 4.4.0's would be   nice  though - either a 492 Whitby Bogie or a McDonnell class 38.

Then of course there is Blythe and   Tyne    Goods 0.6.0, so ugly (I am thinking cab style here)that in a perverse kind of way it is       elegant.

I am sure there will be many other differing views of what Arthur should consider, but        whatever his choice have  NER modellers ever been in a better position.

First - sorry I cannot do them all.  My offerings so far have been the post 1883 locos and I have gone back as far as the Tennant.  There have been many requests for locos of the Fletcher and McDonnell periods. The biggest problems with these are the lack of accurate data relating to this period. Recent issues of the NERA Express have discussed the tenders of this era in some detail and collected data not previously available. This has been the main barrier to producing accurate kits.

Having said that I have no immediate plans for models of this era but the 1001 would fight against the 38 the 59, the 398 to list but a few, As I said I can't do them all! But thanks for the comments.

ArthurK

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

J73 - The last of the line

I have just taken delivery of six more sets  of etches for the  LNER J73 (NER Class L). I anticipate that these will be the last. Beyond those any future issue will depend on pre-paid orders. A minimum future order would be three.

post-6751-0-28493200-1369424976_thumb.jpg

Anyone wanting one of this last batch please get in touch, either by PM or Email. Price is £70 plus £5 P&P (recorded delivery)

The etches for the NER W 4-6-0T are on order. This will be a batch of six. Anticipated kit availability is Mid June

ArthurK 

unobtainable raven A2 DJH kits ,just bought 2 from DJH a month ago,was browsing looking for something ,and they had 2 listed as returned stock,as it was an English holiday weekend was on hot bricks to see if they still had them,145 quid thanks very much,couldnt believe me luck ,filled in the lotto 649 that week

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

A6 4-6-2T (NER Class W -Rebuilt)

There are only two remaining of the first batch of these kits. If you want one of these please contact me by PM or Email.

post-6751-0-54538300-1370533221_thumb.jpg

All of these kits are produced in small batches (usually six or twelve). Please let me know if you are interested in purchasing one of these so that I can judge the next batch size required.

NER Class W -4-6-0T

This kit is only requires the completion of the instructions. The etches and castings are to hand. This particular kit will only be produced as an initial batch of six. Further batches will only be produced if there are firm orders for more.

post-6751-0-57031800-1370532647.jpg

If you want one of these sign up now! 

Delivery late June 2013

NER Class 1463 (Tennant) 2-4-0 LNER Class E5

I am about to order the production etches of this loco. Both loco and tender are in batches of a multiple of four. I intend the first order to be twelve in all.

post-6751-0-99842800-1370532280_thumb.jpg

Please let me know if you would like one to be reserved. I do have a number of names of those that have expressed an interest in this one but confirmation would be appreciated.

Delivery is expected early in July.

ArthuK

• RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

NER 3940 Gallon Tender underframes

During the design of the Q5 and tender I made a change to the design of the tender underframe to incorporate a CSB springing system using the small HighLevel hornblocks. I have a number of the original design left over. These are very suitable for rigid chassis in EM and OO. The wheel spacing on  NER tenders was 6'4" + 6'4" with a front overhang of 4' 2" and a rear overhang of 4'5". If you are prepared to accept the 3940 well tank these underframes are also suitable for the 4125 gallon tender and with a little shortening (1mm) at the rear could also be used for the 3038 gallon tender.

If using these on a cast body the easy option is to raise the axle holes to compensate for the footplate thickness.

Instructions included. Price £15.

ArthurK

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NORTHEASTERN KITS

FUTURE RELEASES

Next kit to be released will be the Tennant 2-4-0. The initial batch will be eighteen. To date most of these are spoken for. I you think that you might not be on the reserved list or would like your name to be added then please let me know via PM or Email.

I am also making a list  of requests for others in the range. In particular the D20 ®, N10 (U) and the B15 (S2). Again let me know if you want one of these reserved.

Only one of the first batch of the A6 (W) is left but there will be more depending on demand. The first five of the W 4-6-0T are sold. I am planning only one more batch of these (five) then, unless there is an upsurge of interest, they will be the last.

There are still stocks of the J24 (P), J73 (L), Q5 (T/T1)and Q5/2 available.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

Anything in 7mm in the future Arthur :)

Best regards as always

The ever nagging Mick

Mick

I did play around with a 7mm J73 when someone suggested it (was that you?). I have no plans to produce any. Biggest problem is the castings. I don't plan to make any 7mm masters.

ArthurK

Mick

I did play around with a 7mm J73 when someone suggested it (was that you?). I have no plans to produce any. Biggest problem is the castings. I don't plan to make any 7mm masters.

ArthurK

Hi Arthur,

You're right it was me who mentioned it some time ago. At the minute I'm on with a scratch build of a J73 in 7mm, the body is going well and I'm just waiting to get onto a friends pantograph miller to cut out the frame plates. Once that it done it will be full steam ahead. For this build all the castings are supplied from various outlets and for me it seems O guage has a large amount of trade suppliying castings for this kind of thing. I'm also working on a John Fozzard J72, which is just supplied as ecthings only and I have sourced the castings elsewhere. So really not doing castings for 7mm etches may not be an issue. No pressure of course just a mere observation. No intention to hijack your thread here but i've attached some images of my J73 progress to show some of the castings off that are avaliable.

post-7580-0-33161600-1373659951_thumb.jpgpost-7580-0-64243300-1373659511_thumb.jpgpost-7580-0-76461300-1373659525_thumb.jpgpost-7580-0-16532300-1373659540_thumb.jpg

Best reagrds Mick