Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Its strange I looked at the model and had a flash back to "History of Building Construction" with a Prof Miles Lewis and a comment that the biggest sheet of glass that could be blown/spun before float glass came on was 3ftx 2ft. Its strange to look at any "glazed roof" and think about the limits that manufacture created. Try Wikipedia for more useless knowledge. (I have since hit the largest sheets of glass that can be installed in buildings since... and have forgotten the dimensions... it is something like 2700x 3000 you can go taller and narrower but not both ways....   :no:

there were certainly larger panes that 3' x 2' in my youth - shop windows being an obvious example - and as a child of the 50's, I am more or less contemporaneous with the float glass process. 

There were a number of processes for production of larger sheets - it appears that the "Fourcault Process" was perhaps the main one in the 20th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourcault_process  -  not sure why the editors of Wikipedia don't like the article.

best

Simon

Totally agree with you Simon. Technology did change quite rapidly. I recall the crystal palace building had glass of the standard size of the 3ftx2ft then again Uni was 20 odd years ago. One interesting fact is the crystal palace building materials were recycled as a GWR station or 2 (to sort of get this back to railways again)

Twelve HUNDRED panes of glass???!!???

My head is spinning now.

Sorry, for your pain, but appreciate your comment

The 1200 panes refers to the present two canopy bays and the two to which they abut (dimensioned drawing almost complete) - it is more time efficient to cut the panes in one session whilst completing the drawing. The two canopies being glazed will use around 500 panes, and the other two approx 700 panes

After these four bays are completed. The remaining nine bays - all of identical span but differing lengths - comprising the covered goods area will consume an estimated 3500 panes, but that is a build for later in the year

Will post drawings for information

Ron

PS. The numbers are only mentioned so as to give a scale of the work involved between the various stages of each separate construction

Pictures of metre upon metre of 10 thou & 20 thou fabricated styrene L sections and T sections wouldn't be appreciated, nor the piles of the cut lengths, but this is work that has to be done before actual construction takes place, and pictures of the build are posted

actually, Ron

you could post a picture of the metres of pre-prepared L and T sections - I know it wouldn't invoke "craftsmanship / clever" votes, but we would get an even deeper insight into the magnitude of the task you have set yourself

btw are you cutting the glazing on the Silhouette too?

best

Simon

actually, Ron

you could post a picture of the metres of pre-prepared L and T sections - I know it wouldn't invoke "craftsmanship / clever" votes, but we would get an even deeper insight into the magnitude of the task you have set yourself

btw are you cutting the glazing on the Silhouette too?

best

Simon

Have to fabricate the L & T sections for the next two bays, so will attempt a picture

The glazing is cut on the Silhouette from 17.5 thou clear overhead sheets (chinese bazaar special pack 50 sheets for €2.75). The pane size of 7.75mm x 19mm means 418 panes per sheet. Using the cutter ensures every pane is identical in size, and no accidents with the steel rule and craft knife slipping

Changed methodology for fixing the panes. Now fixing them in lines of four i.e. three overlapped joints of 0.75mm each, flat and inline against a steel rule. Then fixing each line of four panes between the glazing bars. All in batches of 10 to reduce tedium

• Like 1

... you could post a picture of the metres of pre-prepared L and T sections - I know it wouldn't invoke "craftsmanship / clever" votes, but we would get an even deeper insight into the magnitude of the task...

Absolutely agree with Simon. I have enjoyed this thread for a few years now and find your pictures of raw materials and prepared parts, with your accompanying commentary, just as fascinating as completed products. Please don't worry about boring us with photos of acres of materials, Ron!

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

The last few days have been filled with a rebuild of the canopy and the adjacent CLC warehouse along Windmill Street. This is due to relying on two different dated OS maps causing dimensional and angular differences of the site before and after the items were buildings constructed. Not knowing which was the nearest to the more likely correct, I was eventually able to find a direct overhead aerial photograph of the area dated 1947. Comparing the scaled dimensions between the three have now confirmed an acceptable set of dimensions and angular arrangements

The warehouse needed extending at the south east corner, and the angle of eastern end increasing to 46 deg from the previous 38 deg

In a similar way the angle of the eastern ends of the canopies require changing

Another couple of days should see the changes completed. Will then post pictures of the structures in place  

Absolutely agree with Simon. I have enjoyed this thread for a few years now and find your pictures of raw materials and prepared parts, with your accompanying commentary, just as fascinating as completed products. Please don't worry about boring us with photos of acres of materials, Ron!

Cheers

Phil

Have noted your comments and will post as work proceeds

Thanks

Ron

• Like 2

(I have since hit the largest sheets of glass that can be installed in buildings since... and have forgotten the dimensions... it is something like 2700x 3000 you can go taller and narrower but not both ways.... :no:

That's in mm? We have a window in our house which is 3000 x 3400, 3m x 3.4m, and that is a single piece of glass which would fit with one limit on 3000mm.

Edit: Having thought about it that's a very odd spec. for a maximum dimension. 2700 x 3000 but you can increase one and not the other.

My take on that is a max of 3000 x some unspecified dimension.

Edited by Arthur

Ron

That is the problem with OS maps they are not surveys and inaccurate I often use them for early work on construction projects but you need some check dimensions and even then if you correctly scale one part another section will be incorrect. I seem to,recall you have been using CAD .

It may be worth drawing up the room and positioning the key items on the layout and overlaying OS maps and aerial photos you could then fit in the gaps on the computer before committing to cutting plastic.

• RMweb Premium

If the buildings are still extant, you could use google satelite, take a couple of dimensions using the ruler tool, then take a screen shot and paste it into Autocad and then scale the picture using the known dimensions. When I have used photos to draw up buildings I draw a box to the scale dimension of a door and then scale the picture to fit the door to the box, it may not be dead accurate, but everything is in the same proportions so it looks right and no need to measure or count bricks etc.

Ron

That is the problem with OS maps they are not surveys and inaccurate I often use them for early work on construction projects but you need some check dimensions and even then if you correctly scale one part another section will be incorrect. I seem to,recall you have been using CAD .

It may be worth drawing up the room and positioning the key items on the layout and overlaying OS maps and aerial photos you could then fit in the gaps on the computer before committing to cutting plastic.

If the buildings are still extant, you could use google satelite, take a couple of dimensions using the ruler tool, then take a screen shot and paste it into Autocad and then scale the picture using the known dimensions. When I have used photos to draw up buildings I draw a box to the scale dimension of a door and then scale the picture to fit the door to the box, it may not be dead accurate, but everything is in the same proportions so it looks right and no need to measure or count bricks etc.

Thanks for your comments which as ever are much appreciated

The overall layout of the major buildings and structures was accomplished relatively easily, as all the viaducts still exist and site measurements, google maps, pictures, etc. have all been used to achieve a reasonably accurate dimensional positioning

If all the structures were rectangular and at right angles to one another then the task would be much easier. However, the whole area was developed with the structures at odd angles to match the then existing road layouts very few of which now exist on the same alignments

This particular problem has only just raised its head because some of the buildings/structures no longer exist. Therefore dependent on OS maps and aerial photos, all of which give distorted views. The only way to achieve any sort of reasonable dimensions is by counting bricks from the few pictures available. Of course where there are large areas of steel structures that method is not available. In some cases no photos have been found, and a few cannot be used with any sort of confidence

This is where juggling the structures around in CAD is helpful in highlighting some angular and dimensional inconsistencies. The smaller and non-rectangular the structure the more the inconsistencies appear. It is in deciding on which is the least inconsistent and has the least knock-on effect that is slowing the project build at present. It is inevitable that some small rebuilds will be necessary - which is no problem in itself. As the number of these minor structures still outstanding are reducing rapidly, I cannot foresee any further problems

Of course 'modifying' existing buildings which were constructed over 10 years ago is a delicate task, ensuring that the least invasive method is employed and a good match can be achieved. The desire to upgrade the finish of the earlier builds has to be suppressed somewhat

Ron

• Like 2

I've had some success with Google maps and TurboCAD

You do, of course, need something to generate a scale.

I think the first or second post of my Porth Dinllaen thread has a view of the area with the imaginary railway overlaid

HTH

Simon

• Like 1

In my essay on Aberystwyth loco shed, I copied the photos I took into the free image editor, Gimp, https://www.gimp.org, and measured a brick in pixels. It was then relatively easy to set up an excel spreadsheet to scale any dimension on that photo. You can then set up scale dimensions directly.

Caveats

You need to allow for perspective. Gimp has some tools for this but I'm no expert here!

If you measure ten bricks and take an average, or simpler, measure the overall length of ten bricks and divide by ten, your "length of a brick" is likely to be more reliable. And a hundred would be better still!

I reckon you could import Google Earth photos into it too. You can measure distance and angle. And if you have a known measurement, you could scale from that, thus saving brick counting tedium.

It seems to do all sorts of other useful stuff too. Usual disclaimer, just a happy user!

HTH

Simon