Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Thanks Ron

They are very acute crossings. I am even more impressed. The switches are also long. Are you using a tighter EM specification or is it the normal EMGS track measurments?

Regards.

Trackwork is to 00-SF to give tighter control over track gauging through turnouts, crossings, etc. which is required when trying to replicate trackwork to scale, allbeit to a 'narrow gauge'. All the locos and rolling stock will be RTR 00 gauge since the time to build my own stock would mean I would never finish the layout and run any stock before I 'kick the bucket'

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Trackwork is to 00-SF to give tighter control over track gauging through turnouts, crossings, etc. which is required when trying to replicate trackwork to scale, allbeit to a 'narrow gauge'. All the locos and rolling stock will be RTR 00 gauge since the time to build my own stock would mean I would never finish the layout and run any stock before I 'kick the bucket'

Any gauge widening through these at all or 4-SF (16.2?) all the way through?

Any gauge widening through these at all or 4-SF (16.2?) all the way through?

No gauge widening at all on these approach trackwork sections across the viaducts into the trainshed and goods yards. May revert to 16.5 on the carriage sidings and external trackwork

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Correos delivery advice in the postbox this afternoon for package collection from Correos Offiice in the morning. Droppers here we go

We have a 30 minute window of opportunity to catch the Correos lady in the council office, 1015 - 1045, do you fare any better Ron?

Mike.

We have a 30 minute window of opportunity to catch the Correos lady in the council office, 1015 - 1045, do you fare any better Ron?

Mike.

Our postal service is a little better. The local Correos office is a sub-office of the Benissa main office, and is open 9.30 - 10.45 Monday - Friday only, except National holidays, Local Fiesta and Saints days, staffed by a single person from the Benissa office. Mail is transferred to/from Benissa at 11.00am when the local office is closed 

Postal deliveries are not made to our villa unless it is a priority signed for letter/package, because we are 2km out of town. If the packages, etc. don't fit in our local postbox then they leave a collection note instead, and we have to pick up the package from the Correos office within 14 days or 7 days if it is a signed for delivery. It works out OK when you get use to it, at least you get to know all the local postal staff personally

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Our postal service is a little better. The local Correos office is a sub-office of the Benissa main office, and is open 9.30 - 10.45 Monday - Friday only, except National holidays, Local Fiesta and Saints days, staffed by a single person from the Benissa office. Mail is transferred to/from Benissa at 11.00am when the local office is closed 

Postal deliveries are not made to our villa unless it is a priority signed for letter/package, because we are 2km out of town. If the packages, etc. don't fit in our local postbox then they leave a collection note instead, and we have to pick up the package from the Correos office within 14 days or 7 days if it is a signed for delivery. It works out OK when you get use to it, at least you get to know all the local postal staff personally

Ron

Luxury!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Luxury!

Mike.

At our French House we can see our post box from the sitting room so if the yellow 'La Poste" Van stops and the ladies' arm emerges from the drivers window it's worth going to check what's there.  It's just to far away to see whether she puts the post in the neighbours box or ours.

Luxury, watching for the post with a glass of cold pineau in hand.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• 2 months later...

Any updates coming soon Captain?

Have 8 lattice post semaphore signals to finish for the Sri Lanka project, and a large steel trussed 4 span beamed bridge on stonework piers to complete. Then it is back to the next section of the approach trackwork on Manchester Central, as I have all the materials and tools to hand, ready and waiting  :yes:

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Ron

How are you and the plastic structures bearing up in the heatwave that you're currently having in Spain?

SS

Hi,

The railway structures are just fine down in the railway room

- Over this weekend Outside Shade Temp 38/39 deg C & Rel Humidity 72%

- In Railway Room Temp. High @ 28 deg C & Rel Humidity 50% (Dehumidifier Running on Auto)

Whilst we are perspiring excessively, and in and out of the pool - Garden is suffering and Cars are filthy, as we are in an official drought and non-essential water usage ban. No rain since mid May

About to put the finishing touches to the five buses for the Sri Lanka project, then there is a pause for 5/6 months

Ron

About to put the finishing touches to the five buses for the Sri Lanka project, then there is a pause for 5/6 months

Whatever will you do with all that time back?  Though I suppose as you'll soon be entering the cooler period in Spain you will have a list of things to mend/do before you get a look at your project room.

Whilst we are perspiring excessively, and in and out of the pool - Garden is suffering and Cars are filthy, as we are in an official drought and non-essential water usage ban. No rain since mid May

Ron

Try the Aussie outback at the moment there has been about a 2 year drought and the farmers are screaming at the moment! Even this year during the middle of winter we are getting about a third of the rain we usually get IE 19mm Vs 64mm last month! 

• 7 months later...

Hi, All

Have been very busy since September last year on the design and refurbishment (fully hands on) of a handbag factory to a shop for a local charity, as well as completing work for the first stage of the Sri Lankan project

The Shop was officially opened yesterday by the British Consul from Madrid, with the Vice Consul also in attendance. I received a surprise Special Recognition Award for my work

I intend to have week off to recover and change my focus towards the layout, and decide on the next area/s to progress. So I should be back to the worktable (Dining table) very soon. Although, the charity is already looking at the refurbishment of one of their older shops. Hppefully, it will turn out to be just a re-decoration and new shelving and clothing rail units

Be back very soon

Cheers

Ron

• Like 19

• 1 month later...

I was considering that to get some trains working sometime this year that the outdoor sections of trackwork could be more easily put in place. This would mean completing the viaducts both indoors and outdoors

Have also decided that the remaining sections of the viaducts, approx. 1200mm in length will be built in styrene. The cost of brass etchings would be over £1200, against a cost of approx. £40 for styrene. To combat the problem of UV and heat degradation, and lizards, snakes and cats, the whole length of the outdoor section of the viaduct (circa 2 metres) will be protected by lift-off weatherproof covers. The covers will be left in place except when trains are in operation across the viaducts

The uncompleted brass 600mm section of the Castlefield Viaduct will be finished, with the remaining two 600mm spans of the viaduct being built in styrene. The already built second span of the Cornbrook Viaduct can then be put in place, alongside the Castlefield Viaduct through the access door into the garden, where the concrete base for the viaducts and trackwork has already been in place for some four years

So to this end I have restarted work on the brass etched Castlefield Viaduct deck with the aim to complete the deck this coming week, and also setting up the workspace for the jigs, etc. to commence the styrene builds

All these builds involve a great deal of tedious work, so it does help to be able to switch from one build to another

Will post pictures, as progress warrants

Ron

PS. Progress will not be as quick as previously achieved, as I am now more deeply involved with charity work 6 half-days a week

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5