Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

i thought i could hear thousands of jaws dropping, but i couldnt figure out why until i saw this thread :)

Hi, even I can't believe the response I've had to my thread, still away to go yet

Just completing the cross-bracing trusses for the second span - another 2-3 days before the second span beam is completed

Then I hope to make a start on the span deck beams and plating

Ron

To borrow some phraseology from Dame Edna.

We might be getting long in the tooth, and things may fade into memory - yet we still have our juices! And you, kind sir, you have stirred my pot, and my juices are flowing.

Thanks for your comments. I see you are an excellent scratchbuilder also

Cheers

Ron

Cornbrook Viaduct - Bridge #2 - Bridge Deck

.... completed the first face of lattice work and 25 cross-bracing trusses with T bracings leaving 25 more to construct

As a break from this I have built one of the 39 deck beams

.... and have now run out of plastic weld, but got note from local Correos that I had a package to pick up - that's the plastic weld + weathering powders

... here are the pics of the first deck beam - 113mm long x 7.5mm high x 2mm deep / 20 thou plastic - 38 more required for the longest span

40_230325_420000000.jpg

40_230326_020000000.jpg

there is a better view of end detail in the reflection

The package at the Correos had my 6 bottles of solvent, etc. so on we go again .....

... thought I would do a test build of part of the deck while I had a deck beam finished, and check for any construction problems

Construction uses 20 thou plastic card (all stripping is hand cut), except for arched plating which is 5 thou

40_231243_520000000.jpg

Section thro' deck showing deck beam with arched plating & inverted channel rail supports and top deck plating

(not shown here are the vertical plates at the outer edges of the deck to contain the track ballast etc.)

40_231305_450000000.jpg

The deck beams sit on top of the lower span beams of each bridge span © 65179

40_231227_030000000.jpg

The deck with arched underplating and channels at track centres, and the outer vertical deck plates

(NB: the deck is shown underside uppermost)

The deck beam is not fixed at present, but is placed in its correct position

The arched plating is supported at the edges of the channels, and fixed by T section members midway between the deck beams

(NB: the curved vertical leg of the T has yet to be fixed to the T top member shown)

40_231227_030000001.jpg

40_231227_040000002.jpg

Some of the arched plating needs to be fixed at odd places - carefully as it is only 5 thou and could be damaged by too much solvent

Otherwise, no problems with construction technique

... back to the second span construction

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 3

as someone who is rubbish at scratch building I often see a model either in a magazine, at a show or on this site and I think WOW what a great model thats amazing. but I dont even think saying that would do it justice this is the best model making i have ever seen. I cant wait to see the finished layout.

your railway room must be a bit bigger than mine. :D

as someone who is rubbish at scratch building I often see a model either in a magazine, at a show or on this site and I think WOW what a great model thats amazing. but I dont even think saying that would do it justice this is the best model making i have ever seen. I cant wait to see the finished layout.

your railway room must be a bit bigger than mine. :D

Hi, Darrel

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

your railway room must be a bit bigger than mine

... from my first post -

After 61 years as a non-modeller, I started research into modelling CLC Manchester Central Station, GN Deansgate Goods Warehouse and the Castlefield Viaducts in 4mm scale. You may guess that I am a Mancunian by birth, but I don't follow football !!

After further 6 years I have managed to build 50% of the station, goods warehouses, bridges, some of the viaducts, and 25% of the trackwork. A year ago, I moved to Spain, and now in the process of converting the villa underbuild into a railway room approx. 8 metres x 6 metres, which will just accommodate the model

The trackwork beyond the viaducts will run through the garden in a loop returning to the railway room on two levels. The first will return as the down lines A & B, and the second will return as the middle line M, which will hold the carriage sidings (Cornbrook) and locomotive depot (Trafford Park). The second level will be modelled effectively as the fiddle yard, beneath the main baseboard

.. maybe it is slightly bigger ? .. size isn't everything - it just allows you to build more !

Cheers

Ron

Cornbrook Viaduct - Bridge #2 - Second Span

... photos of the completion of the second span, suitably arranged on the support structure

40_260714_540000000.jpg

Temporary end support still in use

40_260715_220000000.jpg

Close-up showing typical position of deck beam - deck structure will sit on 39 of these beams

40_260715_390000000.jpg

End detail and approx. position of deck beam on lower span beam

40_260715_570000000.jpg

Overhead view

40_260716_110000000.jpg

View from underside

... this evenings session will continue with more deck beams, followed by the deck structure B)

**** We'll keep knitting **** :rolleyes:

.... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 5

I can't believe I've only just found this thread. This is structural modelling of the highest order. As others have said...WOW! I'm going to keep watching and learning. Thanks for posting these wonderful photos and instructional captions. Congratulations Ron, this is superb.

Mike

I can't believe I've only just found this thread. This is structural modelling of the highest order. As others have said...WOW! I'm going to keep watching and learning. Thanks for posting these wonderful photos and instructional captions. Congratulations Ron, this is superb.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your comments - I didn't expect such response from my posts

I thought just posting pictures/photos might be a bit elitist ('hey, look what I can do'), and it would be more informative and helpful to others in some way, if a few drawings, and construction and build info. was also posted

Hope you continue to enjoy this thread, there's a long way to go yet

Cheers

Ron

I really hope the paint covers the translucency of the material used in the side structures. Looking really good.

I don't envy you and your 39 supports. I have just laid about 500 hand made bricks into my 1:24 scale station area and I am about to run out!!!

This really will be a superb piece of modelling when it is all brought together. Can't wait to see the overall roof as well - now that gets an ooh and an aah from even those not even remotely interested in model trains when I show them the photos.

I really hope the paint covers the translucency of the material used in the side structures. Looking really good.

I don't envy you and your 39 supports. I have just laid about 500 hand made bricks into my 1:24 scale station area and I am about to run out!!!

This really will be a superb piece of modelling when it is all brought together. Can't wait to see the overall roof as well - now that gets an ooh and an aah from even those not even remotely interested in model trains when I show them the photos.

Thanks Ian

Halford's Grey Primer works wonders as a base coat

Have you run out of bricks or are you running out ?? B)

... yes I am looking forward to the completion of the train shed roof as well, but still waiting for the Town Hall (Ayuntamento) to grant me a building licence for the underbuild works :rolleyes:

I hope I can maintain your interest and that of others

Cheers

Ron

I have run out of bricks - this morning laying the paving floor in the entrance to The Steamy Pudding Hotel and Café. As you can tell, it's not exactly prototypical! Rivet counters look away now! Luckily I make my own but the idea of needing about another 12,000 is a little daunting at the present.

Looking forward to going ooh and aah again soon! biggrin.gif

Cornbrook Viaduct - Bridge #2 - Bridge Deck

The construction of the 39 deck beams is progressing. Jumping from one task to another to keep the brain active I have started the proper build of the deck

The deck top plating is 40thou plasticard 850mm x 90mm with 4 x 20thou x 4mm cut strips as channel webs. The central two are 23.5mm centres apart, and the outer webs are at 19.5mm centres. The locations marked previously with a knife stroke. The raised edges of the partial cut locate the strip to ensure it is fixed in a straight line

40_261945_240000000.jpg

Deck plating with channel webs in place

40_261945_510000000.jpg

Close-up of channel webs

Channel flanges of 20thou x 80thou strip are fixed to both sides of the webs

40_261946_100000000.jpg

Channel flanges fixed to webs

40_261946_270000000.jpg

Close-up of Channels

20thou x 60thou strips are added next to the 20thou x 80thou flanges as support fixings for the arched plating

The arched plating cut from 5thou plasticard is fixed in place at the long edges only

The strips are 19mm wide for the 18.5mm gap, and 15mm wide for the two 14.5mm gaps. By pressing down on the centre of the strip they click into place between adjacent flanges and held by the 60thou strips. Solvent is brushed quickly along the edges of each strip. Each arch remains held as a curved surface

40_261946_430000000.jpg

Arched plating in place

40_261947_000000000.jpg

Close-up of plating

The plating jointing strips 20thou x 80thou x 19mm are curved and fixed in place at 20.5mm centres, positions previously marked in pencil

40_261947_180000000.jpg

Central arched plating fitted with jointing strips

40_261947_330000000.jpg

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 2

All this modelling in one day - you must have a man cave like mine!

I have to say it - ooh and aah!!! biggrin.gif

All that detail that only you know will be there - but again, by doing the underside prototypically as you are, it really increases the strength of the final model. How many full cans of beer will this one hold do you think?

All this modelling in one day - you must have a man cave like mine!

I have to say it - ooh and aah!!! biggrin.gif

All that detail that only you know will be there - but again, by doing the underside prototypically as you are, it really increases the strength of the final model. How many full cans of beer will this one hold do you think?

I share the naya (sun room) with our siamese cat until the railway room is ready, and I've even been out shopping all afternoon with management which cuts into modelling time

Well if each can is 70mm diameter and the bridge is 850mm long in theory at least 12 cans, but only time will tell :rolleyes: B)

Cheers

Ron

If you see some bloke doing all kinds of strange obscure things with his hands below the belly button, it's me. Trying to lift me jaw back up, didn't you hear that thump just now? :rolleyes: :chok_mini:

:good_mini: bow-004.gifbow-004.gifbow-004.gif

Hope I'm not the instigator of unnecessary pain !! :(

Thanks for your interest

Ron

I took so much (probably 100%) of this architecture for taken for granted in my youth. It was all around and black yet, seeing your exquisite modelling, I am now looking at such things anew. I haven't walked around Manchester inner city ereas for probably 50 years and in my minds eye I can still see it as it was in the 1960's. You obviously have bags of patience and love what you are doing.

Larry