Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glad to hear that you're still with us and some progress is being made, however small it may be.  Several of my friends are also suffering from arthritis one of which has had a bone removed from each thumb, next to the wrist. It has for the time being allowed him to get back to modelling again,  but he now struggles to carry two pints of beer without spilling or dropping one.

With the warmer weather coming, I hope it will ease the problems for awhile.

• Friendly/supportive 5

17 hours ago, Ron Heggs said:

Hi,

Thanks for your continuing interest

I have ongoing problems with arthritis in both of the third and fourth fingers of both hands. Although I do get some occasional respite, any prolonged time modelling causes almost a shutdown. Any progress on the build in progress is exceptionally slow. However I haven't stopped and intend to now post when I can show some real progress, rather than a blow by blow account

I have had to give up driving my Ford Mustang as although my reaction times are still good, I have no confidence in my ability to retain a good grip on the steering wheel if an incident should occur or when driving around all the vicious bends on the local mountain roads

Ron

You can buy a fixture-a knob-to attach to the steering wheel, and turn the wheel.  Try not to give up driving the Mustang-a great car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

He does,  the 2nd one is mine, so needs to be very careful with it!

12 hours ago, Gilbert said:

You might want to bid for pint 1....

No thanks, he takes a big swig out of it, to avoid spilling it!

• Informative/Useful 1

• 9 months later...

Oh my goodness- never before has a model of such bare bones, I suppose, moved me in such a way that it has conveyed the sheer grandure and beauty of railway infrastructure. I have to say this is definitely my new favourite RMWeb thread, only a few hours ago discovering your magical microcosm of 50s Manchester recreated in Spain. 

On deciding a place to base my main layout, I knew it had to be pre grouping, and I was fascinated about the sort of ying and yang  metaphor these many old different pre grouping railways portrayed around Scotland, Lancashire, and my home county Yorkshire. I live not a ten minute walk away from Queensbury tunnel, and after deciding on Glasgow Central, them Waverley, then another 50 other grand termini to model, I decided to make a small bookshelf diorama for the time being, being able to replicate quite accurately a station with a single span arch roof such as Bradford Exchange, or St Pancras, or Manchester Exchange. I have been looking for a thread on one of these stations such as this for weeks, and was astounded when I found it out of the blue earlier. It shows an amazing quality words can only just describe. 

I stayed up hours to reach the end of this thread and was very sorry to hear about your arthritis and the sacrifices you have had to make - being a young modeller relatively new to the hobby it's hard to imagine, but as the bottom of all your posts say, you have to keep optimistic; what a great message to carry through the year we have all had. 

Im sorry for rambling on for a long time but I just want to know that this is beautiful and also very inspirational- you've proved that a bookcase diorama of this station would be stupid, but for my big project the brown north British locos at Waverley are becoming Brunswick green and maroon....

James

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Simond,

agree but it’s mostly done by machine, not quite the same as measuring cutting and fixing together,  my wife could probably do that kind of modelling but she’s no modeller if you see what I mean.

Having said that, it is up to the individual, how he wants to produce his model.

Peter A L.

Edited by Gravy Train

My loco shed (see Porth Dinllaen, link below) is all laser cut and fixed together too, though I did survey the prototype and prepare the cad.  

and most of my stock is built from kits, though rarely built according to the instructions, and I simply glue/solder them together & paint them.  Pretty obviously I didn’t do anything to generate the kits!

so, I don’t see it as in anyway negative if he builds it from machine cut bits that he made or someone else did, and I certainly don’t see it as in any way “better” if he were to cut it out by hand - though it’s a different skill set, of course.  

He’s got a vision, he’s making it real, and good on him.

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...