Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Gathering all the info. for the big push. Although still awaiting some drawing details from National Archives, which can't be obtained from site (closed access), only photographic details possible

Hi Ron,

Looking fantastic, and looking forward to the next stage of the build.

I share your pain on the National Archives stuff. I requested drawings from National Archives of Scotland on the viaduct at Fort Augustus, and was told to try the council offices in Dumbarton (why on earth they'd have them I have no idea!)...

Lovely work Ron as always.

How much more can you build before you need to move into the basement? I'm really looking forward to the overall roof for some reason. Something about that screams complete madness in 1:76 and yet it is so huge!

Can't wait for the next instalment.

Hi, Ian

In practical terms I can build everything except the station roof which as you know will be some 2200mm x 840mm. The Castlefield Viaduct is just over 4500mm but comprises 8 spans so can be built in sections between the support piers

Shouldn't be too long now

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Looking fantastic, and looking forward to the next stage of the build.

I share your pain on the National Archives stuff. I requested drawings from National Archives of Scotland on the viaduct at Fort Augustus, and was told to try the council offices in Dumbarton (why on earth they'd have them I have no idea!)...

Hi,

Thanks for your much appreciated comments

At least I know they have what I want, and I have placed the order - just waiting for them to copy the drawings, etc. and post to me. They have been quite good in the past. Usually takes two weeks to get an estimate and then a further two to three weeks before they get here

Cheers

Ron

Geniuses tend to have that much-needed streak of madness. It's what makes them different to you and me. :pleasantry:

Hi,

My motto is 'nothing is impossible, it just takes a little longer and a bit of bloody mindedness' yahoo.gif

Cheers

Ron

*** Well just a few details to keep everyone happy ***yahoo.gif

Modelling Structural Steelwork - Castlefield Viaduct

Castlefield Viaduct -1894 Midland Railway, built adjacent to and the North of the 1877 Cornbrook Viaduct, carried the lines to the West, Liverpool, Cornbrook Carriage sidings and Trafford Park locomotive shed

Used by the Up & Down Fast lines into/out of Manchester Central Station, CLC Goods Warehouse and GNR Deansgate Goods Warehouse

The 1894 viaduct is a single bridge comprising eight individual spans of differing lengths, and is presently disused

Google Maps link :

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Castlefield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=22.297654,67.456055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Castlefield,+Greater+Manchester,

+United+Kingdom&ll=53.4746,-2.256306&spn=0.00273,0.010278&t=k&z=18

The upper, most northerly viaduct is the subject of this topic (yes, the one covered in vegetation)

The complete viaduct will be over 4.5 metres long, and on a chorded curve

The Cross Bracing/Lattice Work is similar in construction to Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #2, but with slightly larger openings, and all spans being shorter

The deck beams are spaced almost 3 times further apart and are of a heavier and deeper construction

Dimensioned Plan of Bridge Spans

post-10633-0-20035800-1304973909_thumb.png

Just a few CAD drawings to show the bridge support/pier details -

There are no piers at either end of the northern and southern bridge spans

The northern spans being carried directly on the brick viaduct abutments with decorative brick/sandstone upstands

The southern spans being carried directly on the brick viaduct abutments without decorative upstands

The pier to pier dimensions vary - see Dimensioned Plan above

post-10633-0-17260600-1304974235_thumb.png

Piers N1/N2 - S1/S2 180mm centres

post-10633-0-30609300-1304974269_thumb.png

Piers N2/N3 - S2/S3 198mm centres

post-10633-0-62174000-1304974319_thumb.png

Piers N3/N4 - S3/S4 198mm centres

post-10633-0-77962400-1304974334_thumb.png

Piers N4/N5 - S4/S5 189mm centres

post-10633-0-26948900-1304974412_thumb.png

Piers N5/N6 - S5/S6 187mm centres

post-10633-0-98871200-1304974423_thumb.png

Piers N6/N7 - S6/S7 187mm centres

post-10633-0-29096500-1304974490_thumb.png

Piers N7/N8 - S7/S8 190mm centres

post-10633-0-54489000-1304975274_thumb.png

End Pier N8

post-10633-0-94923500-1304974572_thumb.png

Pier Faces

post-10633-0-99849000-1304974814_thumb.jpg

Bridge Section

The bridge span drawings will be posted in a day or two

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 4

As others have already said - wonderful work on the bridge - a real labour of love and really most impressive.

But I'm wondering how you're going to fix the track, ballast and weather it (etc).

Are parts of the bridge detachable for easy access? Or will the track be built on a slide-in-shelf or something?

The answer is probably so obvious that I can't see it - and equally, apologies if you've previously explained this and I missed the post.

As others have already said - wonderful work on the bridge - a real labour of love and really most impressive.

But I'm wondering how you're going to fix the track, ballast and weather it (etc).

Are parts of the bridge detachable for easy access? Or will the track be built on a slide-in-shelf or something?

The answer is probably so obvious that I can't see it - and equally, apologies if you've previously explained this and I missed the post.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

At present the bridge sections are a tight fit but are still demountable, and will be fixed when placed in position on the layout

The track base will be made from 1.5mm neoprene foam sheet to enable the track section to be slid into the bridge from the eastern end

1mm thick cork will be fixed to the neoprene to provide additional sound deadening, and then the trackwork fixed to the cork

The rails will be weathered, and ballasted, and weathered again to complete the section

The bridge will have been weathered separately prior to placing the track section into place

I have yet to decide whether to glue the track section into place on the bridge - this could be done afterwards if necessary

Cheers

Ron

This epic rates as one of those "How to Eat an Elephant" stories. Just Googled it and there are 78,500,000 entries!!!! My personal tastes must be different because I would build a loose plate into the track so you got that classic rumble of heavy machinery as the trains cross the bridge. Sound deadening is for whimps!!!!! yes.gif

It was an epic beyond my personal abilities waaaay back on page one - now you have just wound the creative screw that bit harder and raised the standard just that bit higher. Loving this thread - it will be a truly wonderful piece of madness when all the parts come together in your new railway room (or will you call it the Man Cave - get it? Man-chester Central?) I'll get my coat now. laugh.gif

Hi Ron,

Having followed and commented on your recent viaduct build, and seeing the cad designs for the Castlefield viaduct, this is going to be one of those that I will have to watch in awe and wonder as you progress with it :blink:

Colin

This epic rates as one of those "How to Eat an Elephant" stories. Just Googled it and there are 78,500,000 entries!!!! My personal tastes must be different because I would build a loose plate into the track so you got that classic rumble of heavy machinery as the trains cross the bridge. Sound deadening is for whimps!!!!! yes.gif

It was an epic beyond my personal abilities waaaay back on page one - now you have just wound the creative screw that bit harder and raised the standard just that bit higher. Loving this thread - it will be a truly wonderful piece of madness when all the parts come together in your new railway room (or will you call it the Man Cave - get it? Man-chester Central?) I'll get my coat now. laugh.gif

HI, Ian

Thought the latest post would tempt you back rolleyes.gif

The sound deadening is going to be a bit of a trial I think - don't want it to sound like plastic nor too quiet, as you say it got to sound like a rumble :yes:

SWMBO is already calling it the BRIDGE WORKSHOP, and personally taking charge of routeing the outdoor section cray.gifto ensure full access to the garden unsure.gif

Cheers

Ron

Great modelling work Ron .

I'm quite interested in the subject of bridges myself, & I was refered to your inspirational bridge modelling work by SouthernBoy.

Dave.

Hi, Dave

Hope you enjoyed the ride, and found something of interest yes.gif

This next bridge will be a long one unsure.gif

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Having followed and commented on your recent viaduct build, and seeing the cad designs for the Castlefield viaduct, this is going to be one of those that I will have to watch in awe and wonder as you progress with it :blink:

Colin

Hi, Colin

Thanks for your continuing interest and comments

The start up on this next bridge will be a bit prolonged, as the drawings and details will take a bit longer to prepare and check. Now awaiting delivery of all the plastic and solvent :secret_mini:

By the beginning of June I should be in a position to start the build proper yes.gif

Cheers

Ron

By the beginning of June I should be in a position to start the build proper

I am gonna be watching more of this! This is looking good. My stuff is being put on hold till i have moved home!

Ron,

I have been fascinated by the work and the sheer enormity of the detail you have put into these models. In an era where laser etching and other forms of media are taking modeling to new levels you have shown that there is no substitute for actually using available off the shelf materials and building the architecture yourself.

I have made several trips to Manchester in my lifetime, for football matches and for concerts at the GMEX during the 90's. I have seen the structures you are building up close. Watching it all come together is really driving me on to improve my architectural modeling as I fear it is the one area that I really need to work on.

Absolutely stunning work.

Richard,

Ron,

I have been fascinated by the work and the sheer enormity of the detail you have put into these models. In an era where laser etching and other forms of media are taking modeling to new levels you have shown that there is no substitute for actually using available off the shelf materials and building the architecture yourself.

I have made several trips to Manchester in my lifetime, for football matches and for concerts at the GMEX during the 90's. I have seen the structures you are building up close. Watching it all come together is really driving me on to improve my architectural modeling as I fear it is the one area that I really need to work on.

Absolutely stunning work.

Richard,

Hi, Richard

Your comments are much appreciated

I am glad to hear that viewing my work has given you the impetus to improve your modelling, and I wish you well in your endeavours

Laser etching and photo etching all have their place, but couldn't achieve the detail which I was looking to model any better, even with their higher overall costs

Cheers

Ron

I wonder if anyone can help me with obtaining some photographic details of a section of the Cornbrook Viaduct which has escaped all available archives

The viaduct/bridge section lies immediately adjacent to the western end of the Castlefield Viaduct and appears to be of steel/wrought iron construction

Appears reasonably clearly in Google Maps

Castlefield & Cornbrook Viaducts

The Street Views show something of the support structures, but not clearly or in detail

It is on the left and the middle track of the three, and appears light beige with grey parapets, and three overhead catenaries (Metrolink)

From what I can gather it is supported on maybe four steel/wrought iron structures and one central brick built structure, and the ends are supported directly on brick built viaduct abutments

Closest access is via Potato Wharf (North Side) and Blantyre Street (South Side)

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Ron

4.5 metres! You'll wipe out a branch of Oddbins when you stress test the finished article laugh1.gif

Brilliant as ever.

Steven

It's a good job the tests will be on a span by span basis :yes:, otherwise it could be more expensive than the build rolleyes.gif

You may have noticed that load tests can only be carried out before the overhead bracing beams are fixed in position because they restrict the placement of the loads cray.gif

Your comments are very much appreciated

:drinks:

Ron

I wonder if anyone can help me with obtaining some photographic details of a section of the Cornbrook Viaduct which has escaped all available archives

The viaduct/bridge section lies immediately adjacent to the western end of the Castlefield Viaduct and appears to be of steel/wrought iron construction

Cheers

Ron

I might have something - I'll dig through my photographs if I get a minute today. Lots of work on, a gas man coming and Pepper's tracking class tonight as well, so it might well be tomorrow.

I've posted some images I have from a trip up to Manchester in October 2009. At the time there was no access to the viaducts via Potato Wharf due to some construction work, and views from Blantyre Street was also quite hard due to the trees.

Anyhow, I've dropped 4 images: here

(flashy link!)

Hope they help. If you need bigger of any let me know and I can email them.

I've posted some images I have from a trip up to Manchester in October 2009. At the time there was no access to the viaducts via Potato Wharf due to some construction work, and views from Blantyre Street was also quite hard due to the trees.

Anyhow, I've dropped 4 images: here

(flashy link!)

Hope they help. If you need bigger of any let me know and I can email them.

Hi, Richard

Thanks for your photos, a lot of interesting detail of the MSJ&AR viaduct, and the Castlefield Viaduct at the western end as it crosses the approach road from Salford to the A57M

As you have indicated the access to the Cornbrook Viaduct from either the North and South sides is a bit of a problem, and the particular section I am interested in was probably not worthy of photographic expeditions, but is really a different structure in its own right

Cheers

Ron

I hoped there was some detail in the background of some of the other shots, but obviously not which is a shame.

Perhaps access might be better if/when the works near Potato Wharf have finished; although my work trips to Manchester have now finished.