Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Ron

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but I got side tracked. Sorry it's a bit rough  and ready, but I hope that using the different colours for the polarity of the rails it's self explanatory.

attachicon.gifturnout sketch.png

SS

Thanks. I missed that obvious solution. A case of 'can't see the wood for the trees'

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

One of my Xmas presents has arrived early - Well it was my present to myself

The replacement camera, a Canon EOS 1300D has been delivered direct from the UK. Even with the delivery charges it was still cheaper than buying in Spain

So now the pictures should be to a better resolution and sharpness, especially the close-ups

• Like 3

Whilst waiting for the copperclad to arrive, I have been going through the list of items still to build/construct, and one the most important is the Castlefield Viaduct section for linking to outside. The etchings were finally delivered back in December 2014, and a start was made with the build, but stalled with trackwork builds and the installation of the Trainshed taking priority

Restarted the build of the viaduct from the brass etches -

post-10633-0-30565000-1512600539_thumb.jpg

First of three sections of the viaduct deck. Further track support beams to be fitted/completed, along with beam end supports, etc.

post-10633-0-03371200-1512600680_thumb.jpg

Another view of the same section

post-10633-0-02916300-1512601670_thumb.jpg

Typical view of existing deck built in styrene

The viaduct will be located here, extending the right hand viaduct through into the garden -

post-10633-0-97728300-1512603213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 5

As always Ron, top quality modelling. I take it that there is a need for a more robust structure than the styrene sheet can provide.

Thanks. Tests carried out a few years back proved that a styrene build shatters within two weeks when left outside even in a continuously shaded area ..... it shows there would a great deal of UV attack

The decision was made rather than not run the track around part of the garden in a loop and back into the station enviroment, that all the external structures would be produced using non-ferrous metals, mainly brass and aluminium. Wood is definitely out - early garden usage of protected timber was a disaster. Replacement after just two seasons was necessary. Re-designed and built in aluminium

Etched brass for the viaduct would be the most appropriate material. Overall costwise it is running at 40 times the cost of a styrene build, but then it saves a continuing replacement of a styrene build, and will go towards allowing a better operating regime for the layout

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs

The First and Second sections of the deck have been assembled with the transverse deck beam webs and the inter-beam rail-load support RSJs -

post-10633-0-27191900-1512923511_thumb.jpg

The third section which will complete the deck is a mirror of the left hand first section, and is under construction at the moment

post-10633-0-57007700-1512923626_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-48543700-1512923940_thumb.jpg

First and second sections joined

The overall length of the three section deck is 600mm. The deck and span beams will be fully detailed as it is easier to provide the detail with the brass etches 

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 6

The brass work is looking good Ron.  It's nice to see the riveting tool has been put to good use.   

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

The original riveting tool has been retired, as it was a little inconsistent in producing identical embossing. Have all the materials to hand to construct a replacement tool which should be better at repeat embossed rivets, the tool being more compact and easier to adjust

Ron

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Jamie

The original riveting tool has been retired, as it was a little inconsistent in producing identical embossing. Have all the materials to hand to construct a replacement tool which should be better at repeat embossed rivets, the tool being more compact and easier to adjust

Ron

, and Ron has the time and skills to build his own tools, bloody hell!

Mike.

You can say anything you like. Select one letter in the middle of the word, and set its colour to black.

It's the mod's job to remove offensive posts, not a nannying American "bad word filter".

Martin.

Whilst I am a totally paid up member of the politically incorrect society, that does not mean I can disregard others feelings. On the other hand one must be careful that words cannot be taken out of context and offend. A very fine line both ways

In this case had the word been used and not flagged up, would we have had several replies, I think not.  Would everyone have understood what the poster was saying, I think so. Would any one take offence, I guess only those who would look for any excuse to be offended

I have to say I am mightily impressed by those rivetted soffits to the main deck beam.flanges. They are truly in the category of the tiniest (usually hidden) detail our Welsh architecture tutor Dewy Prys Thomas would look gravely over his horn rim spectacles at before remaring on approvingly

"God will be well aware of their presence"

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Without getting theological as well as etymological (or scatalogical), if we’re talking “the real thing” then it would be as well that gravity was well aware of their presence too

:)

Now you've brought gravity into it, allow me a little indulgence with my favourite quote from my favourite film series.

Mike.

Apologies to Ron for thread drift.

As the deck construction continues. I have been sorting out the components for the two latticed span beams. Disaster !! There is an etched 20thou brass sheet missing holding 129 items for the major portion of the lattice work. An extensive search through drawers and boxes has drawn a blank, a new sheet will have to be ordered with delivery some time in the New Year

Yet another pause is in the offing after the deck is completed, or alternatively I could slow down and enjoy the festive season without fear of a tipple or two causing too much modeller's finger shake and/or blurred vision

• RMweb Premium

As the deck construction continues. I have been sorting out the components for the two latticed span beams. Disaster !! There is an etched 20thou brass sheet missing holding 129 items for the major portion of the lattice work. An extensive search through drawers and boxes has drawn a blank, a new sheet will have to be ordered with delivery some time in the New Year

Yet another pause is in the offing after the deck is completed, or alternatively I could slow down and enjoy the festive season without fear of a tipple or two causing too much modeller's finger shake and/or blurred vision

Ron, enjoy the tipple, I think it's well deserved after your output this year, particularly the Sri Lankan stuff.