Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

CORNBROOK VIADUCT - Bridge #2

Details of the design and construction of the bridge span cross-bracing

Bridge Span – West (2 off)

post-10633-0-08923900-1298050919_thumb.png

Bridge Span – East (2 off)

(the above drawings are not to the same scale)

Bridge Span – West

Black – 3.75mm width – external non-trussed bracing

Grey – 3.75mm width – internal trussed bracing

Blue – 3.00mm width – external non-trussed bracing

L.Blue – 3.00mm width – internal trussed bracing

Bridge Spans – East & West

Green – 2.00mm width – external non-trussed bracing

L.Green – 2.00mm width – internal trussed bracing

Red & Mauve – 2.00mm width – trussed bracing in sections

A practical construction problem arises with the L.Green internal cross-bracings, as the trusses are interleaved in the central section this affects 14 trusses in each span. to one degree or another

Construction proceeds with one set (North face) of the external members of the T beams laid out first, and the basic truss assemblies fixed in complete or part sections on top, and the remaining set (South face) of the external members of the T beams fixed on top of these trusses. The completed cross-braced truss assembly will then be fixed within the upper, lower and end span beams

- to be continued shortly

• Like 2

Bridge Span – West (2 off)

post-10633-0-08923900-1298050919_thumb.png

Bridge Span – East (2 off)

(the above drawings are not to the same scale)

Bridge Span – West

Black – 3.75mm width – external non-trussed bracing

Grey – 3.75mm width – internal trussed bracing

Blue – 3.00mm width – external non-trussed bracing

L.Blue – 3.00mm width – internal trussed bracing

Bridge Spans – East & West

Green – 2.00mm width – external non-trussed bracing

L.Green – 2.00mm width – internal trussed bracing

Red & Mauve – 2.00mm width – trussed bracing in sections

A practical construction problem arises with the L.Green internal cross-bracings, as the trusses are interleaved in the central section this affects 14 trusses in each span. to one degree or another

Construction proceeds with one set (North face) of the external members of the T beams laid out first, and the basic truss assemblies fixed in complete or part sections on top, and the remaining set (South face) of the external members of the T beams fixed on top of these trusses. The completed cross-braced truss assembly will then be fixed within the upper, lower and end span beams

How do you go about making one of the top ones? I am going to have to build something for a bridge i am making to replace a cardboard/wood one that i did when making the first bridge.

post-1121-0-05591200-1298055187_thumb.jpg

I have made the base part of it by using the wills girder kit and also wills brick kits. These models you have made (making) look so real (once painted and weathered)

• Like 1

Here are few photographs of the Cornbrook Viaduct - Bridge #2, as it exists today

These photographs have been provided by 65179 with my thanks

Copyright in these pictures remains with 65179

post-10633-0-04508200-1298055188_thumb.jpg

South face of central portion of bridge with upper portion of pier/stanchion. MSJ&AR viaduct in the foreground

post-10633-0-65175900-1298054944_thumb.jpg

View of North elevation of pier/stanchion from North East

post-10633-0-22389900-1298055286_thumb.jpg

View of North elevation of pier/stanchion from North West

post-10633-0-34776800-1298055459_thumb.jpg

Detail of stanchion. Chamfered portion is a later detail provide during refurbishment for the Metrolink

post-10633-0-05394600-1298055663_thumb.jpg

Detail of pier/stanchion bracing

• Like 3

How do you go about making one of the top ones? I am going to have to build something for a bridge i am making to replace a cardboard/wood one that i did when making the first bridge.

post-1121-0-05591200-1298055187_thumb.jpg

I have made the base part of it by using the wills girder kit and also wills brick kits. These models you have made (making) look so real (once painted and weathered)

Hi, Ian

My next few posts will show how the construction proceeds for these bridge structures

If you would like some more detailed info. particular to your bridge structure send me some dimensions, etc. via a PM or Email

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Some excelent work on show here.

One question if I may though; Why go to the effort of all the CAD work and then build the structures from plastistrut? Why not laser cut plastic/card/wood or etched brass?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

One question if I may though; Why go to the effort of all the CAD work and then build the structures from plastistrut? Why not laser cut plastic/card/wood or etched brass?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi, Steven

Thanks for your comments

Laser cut plastic, etc. and etched brass is very expensive compared to plastic card, etc. especially where most structures are one-offs, and there are a lot of unique structures . Setting myself up with etching or laser cutting equipment would be an investment not worth having for just a one-time model. It would be different if I was setting up a business

Plastic is relatively cheap, and with no time constraints, time is not important. To build a scale model of a prototype in any material you need an accurate drawing, and a way of establishing a method and order of construction

CAD I have had for some 30 years, but even without it I would need to produce accurate drawings for templates, etc.

Etchings I have had produced for me include 100's of window frames and turnout tie-rods, etc. None of the many similar items available are identical to the prototypes I am modelling

Ron

- Continued

Bridge Span – West

Construction of one set (North face) of the external members of the T beams, which I will call lattice work is complete, comprising

8 off at each end – 10th x 3.75mm width for the external non-trussed bracing

8 off at each end – 10th x 3.75mm width for the internal trussed bracing

8 off – 10th x 3.00mm width for the external non-trussed bracing

8 off – 10th x 3.00mm width for the internal trussed bracing

12 off in the central portion – 10th x 2.00mm width for the external non-trussed bracing

10 off in the central portion – 10th x 2.00mm width for the internal trussed bracing

A scale size print of the span bracing was used as a template to ensure the correct location and positioning was maintained during assembly

post-10633-0-53964200-1298134687_thumb.jpg

Lattice work – Overall dimensions 820mm x 86mm

post-10633-0-56041300-1298134714_thumb.jpg

10th plasticard distorts rather easily, but this will corrected when the trusses are fixed in place

• Like 2

My brain hurts just trying to get to grips with the sheer size and complexity of these models...

( are we looking at a rival to Jim S-W for dedication to the art of modelling ?)

Hi, Stuart

Thanks for all your comments, no intended competition entries here!

Ron

Hi, Look forward to seeing 6 cans on the completed bridge! Amazing work

Simon

Hi, Simon

Sorry, but just couldn't manage 6, so it had to be 8 cans (2640ml - 2.63kg)., and still no discernible distortion. That means at least two Brittannias plus coaches (The Palatine), or the occasional Brittannia piloted by a Black 5 on the bridge

post-10633-0-73699600-1298283419_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-49843800-1298283443_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ron

• Like 7

Well that is one way to see how strong that bridge is!

I will have to get beck to you when i get the dimensions on the latice work for my bridge as i am away from home where the bridge that i am working on at the min! The latice work that you have done is great!

Great stuff

I just hope it doesn't warp over time

Simon

Hi, Simon

Thanks for your comments. No warping has taken place with the Train Shed structure over 6/7 years, so I'm hoping this bodes well for the future

As they say only time will tell

Ron

Guest jim s-w

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven

If you only did a 1 off you'd be talking about £50 a sheet for an 8"x12". That includes the tool. For 2 of the same about £30 a sheet, 4 about £20, 10 sheets work out about £14 each.

HTH

Jim

• Like 1

There are simply no words to describe this project, other than "epic".

It all seems to be going along at a huge rate of knots as well, single-handed.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

I tend to model most nights for about 2/3 hours, as my days are occupied with charity work, walking group, gardening and shopping on Saturdays

Ron

Fantastic! It's taken me two years to detail a Wills retaining wall kit to my requirements - I'm going to have to speed up...:D

Hi,

Speed is not important only the outcome. But you don't need to follow your signature to the letter

Ron

• Like 1