Tillig v Peco

Calimero

Hi Guys,

here is the link to tilling point kit assembly (thanks Doug, Model Rail Forum, 2007) 

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2253

Interestingly the Tillig 85446 and 85447 are selling in Australia for $68.95, about 45.78 euro, compared to 39.88 euro currently your best price, hardly worth the postage effort so I bought a couple of points (85446/7) locally today, and wouldn't you know it, one of the switch rail tabs (the bit that attaches to the tie or stretcher bar) was broken/missing. I took it back and Fred (Orient Express, Adelaide) changed it over straight away, but it has got me thinking about long term durability, so I think it's a spot of Araldite (two part epoxy) at the tie bar to switch rail tabs just in case in future. 

Please don't take this as a weakness, when you inspect the Tillig 85446 and 85447 tabs, they are a robust arrangement, but  lets say it's a flag to ensure full life cycle reliability.

best regards

Stanley

couple of shots of healthy tabs

post-11084-0-37575200-1439637711_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-42412200-1439637715_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden

• 11 months later...

Not seen many recent postings on Tillig points - presumably everyone who uses them is still satisfied with their performance. Thinking of turning a 15ft long scenic section of an exhibition layout into a home based layout in a 9ft x 9ft room. Obviously will need the middle 5ft board scrapped and replaced by a new one turning through 90 degrees. Using Anyrail I have worked out that to keep the layout operationally similar to the existing arrangement it will entail the use of 3 Tillig curved points of the 9 and 12 degree 778mm and 484mm radius type (refs 85313 and 85314) and a 484mm radius double slip (85390). Presumably these should not cause problems with modern UK stock. From memory of a Tillig point I had some years back they are slightly flexible so I imagine the 778mm radius of the curved point can be tightened up slightly if needed.

• Like 1

I've just had four Tillig 85327 361mm LH points delivered from Conrad in Germany and like 1BCamden (above) the tabs on two of them broken. In fact they're missing completely. Not that I fancied trying to solder something that small anyway. They'll need to go back. I find that Tillig points are fragile until laid, but once laid, they're absolutely fine. Although not correct for UK layouts (neither are Peco, to be fair), once laid and ballasted, the look is streets ahead of Peco Code 75. The large choice of radius and sheer variety also appeals. Yes, Peco is robust before and after laying, but not for me, alas. I've no desire to go down the "handbuilt" route... the pfaffing about just doesn't appeal. Tillig still win by a mile imho.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Very useful thread on peco vs tillig .... We're currently planning our new layout and are looking to get one of these brands. Peco is robust, but tillig is more prototypical for a European layout. 

Just a question: are there some example point layouts with the tillig track available somewhere? 

Grts

Dennis 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2016 at 18:38, Guest said:

I've just had four Tillig 85327 361mm LH points delivered from Conrad in Germany and like 1BCamden (above) the tabs on two of them broken. In fact they're missing completely. Not that I fancied trying to solder something that small anyway. They'll need to go back. I find that Tillig points are fragile until laid, but once laid, they're absolutely fine. Although not correct for UK layouts (neither are Peco, to be fair), once laid and ballasted, the look is streets ahead of Peco Code 75. The large choice of radius and sheer variety also appeals. Yes, Peco is robust before and after laying, but not for me, alas. I've no desire to go down the "handbuilt" route... the pfaffing about just doesn't appeal. Tillig still win by a mile imho.

totally agree, they definitely look the part

• Agree 1

I'm having a very haphazard play with Tillig track at the moment, mainly because of their mixed gauge (HO with HOe) range. It's like all projects, started off with enthusiasm but then reality of time and space kicked in. The track is very cool though, quite different to the standard UK offerings. 

I've make a few observations in this blog: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/blog/2566-why-dcc-not/

I hope it's of use..

Edited by metijg
  • Like 1