Farish Cl. 47

HealeyMills

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if Bachmann would confirm the earlier versions have also been modified. I'm reluctant to buy a 47 until I know for certain that the fault has been rectified. Retailers obviously want to sell their early allocation to the not-so-fussy. What about some Dapol-style openness, Bachmann?

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

At the N Gauge International show in September there were display models of the upcoming 47s that are expected soon in BR parcels, Large Logo and Intercity liveries. These clearly featured a modified chassis with a much closer to scale gap between bogies and body. If further production runs of BR Blue or Green locos were to be produced, it seems to me inconceivable that the models would not be specified to have the improved appearance chassis.

cheers

Ben A.

At the N Gauge International show in September there were display models of the upcoming 47s that are expected soon in BR parcels, Large Logo and Intercity liveries.

They looked really nice and the livery choice and finish was superb - the best for a long time. The website seems to indicate that the launch date for them has slipped a little to what was said at TINGS. Fingers crossed they airfrieght some in for Warley.

G.

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice if Bachmann would confirm the earlier versions have also been modified. I'm reluctant to buy a 47 until I know for certain that the fault has been rectified. Retailers obviously want to sell their early allocation to the not-so-fussy. What about some Dapol-style openness, Bachmann?

Hi

The earlier versions in the shops are still the unmodified version (my wife bought me one for my Birthday last week). If Bachmann were going to modify these models then they would have been recalled a long time ago.

I am going to have a look at the lowering information posted on the old RMWEB and see if I can get an acceptable result. Mine also rubs on the underside of the bogie (a quick filing session has sorted that).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33437&p=577508&hilit=lowering+farish+47#p577508

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, according to Dennis at Warley, the new Farish class 47s had arrived (along with the class 24s) in this country. Just a matter of getting through customes, being delivered to Barwell and re-distributed to the shops - so it shouldn't be long before they're available.

I must say that I'm looking forward to these and will want one of each of the three liveries - they really look the biz and suit my current modelling era spot on.

G.

My understanding was that the issues on the first batch (ride height and bogie grounding - although it seems that the bogie grounding did't affect all models) would be resolved for subsequent releases - I cant remember where I read this, but I believe it may have been Model Rail?

Lucky then that 47035 which I bought last week won't have many points to accommodate on my new layout. A blue 70's layout would look a little odd without least one 47 and as the next batch are post 1983 I might have a wait before Farish get around to more blues as they have a lot of post 1990 liveries to work through first.

Interestingly enough it says on the Farish website the 535 has arrived EDIT and now in at Hattons. 474 was the first to arrive in OO.

I think 535 was flush at one end so it is not a obvious renumber. However 474 will be a definate for me. And maybe Titan

My guess given the usual Bachmann method is that they are 4-5 weeks away. The air freight batches seem to leave around the same time as the ship, but obviously get here sooner. The large logo Duff does look nice though!

cheers

jo

Grahame, as you have an example of the 47 with the ride height and bogie grounding issues, are the two chassis interchangeable? What modifications have been made to the workings?

The ride height appears to have been addressed. The body is certainly lower than the previous versions althouhgh it could perhaps do with going down a tad more. However, that's probably being a bit picky as from normal viewing it looks perfectly okay, and the side view pic below is from an extreme low angle that you wouldn't normaly see. The grounding issue also appears to have been addessed as the gear covers now have flat bottom sections, although I've not yet run the loco to test. I see little point in swapping the chassis with the older version body - as I'll end up with the wrong body on the wrong bellytanks/underframe - so I haven't bothered to try that.

post-33-12598489318379_thumb.jpg

G.

Other ones are in at Hattons :D

Just have to wait to christmas day to see mine if Royal mail do the business!

I saw a few of the old style Intercity 47 and the Parcels 47 at Alton Models this afternoon - I want the Intercity one B)

I saw a few of the old style Intercity 47 and the Parcels 47 at Alton Models this afternoon - I want the Intercity one B)

Don't tempt me!

My girlfriend ordered one today for the christmas / or birthday present. I fly to the Uk tomorrow and my nan lives in Farnham. i am tempted to pop in there, but I might get in trouble :rolleyes:

I've just obtained one and in addition to the modifications to fix the ride height, Bachmann have also fixed the lesser reported wheel drop issue with the bogies :).

So another thumbs up for this model - it looks to be the definitive 47.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived