Farish Cl. 47

HealeyMills

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm...they do look good...I don't really need one for operations on either of my layouts at present, however, perhaps I could justify a blue one crossing Moorswater Viaduct he said talking himself into it... ;)

Very Pleased with the latest class 47's, those that pre-ordered them where very happy. Those that where left sold very quickly. I think all the large logo one's are now sold-out at Bachmann. Shame they didn't re-do the green livery as we had a lot of interested people in this model.

Kev.

Very Pleased with the latest class 47's, those that pre-ordered them where very happy. Those that where left sold very quickly. I think all the large logo one's are now sold-out at Bachmann.

Snapped up and sold out quickly eh? Sounds like the blue era and later liveries are possibly as popular as the older green ones contrary to popular belief. Perhaps Bachmann has a better understanding of demand than given credit for.

G.

Arghh, Farish loco problem, picked up 47035 from Hattons in November.

Did a test run on an incomplete layout when I got it and at first it was dead then sprung to life. Put it down to wiring on the layout but, got it out again last night and it onto the more complete layout and not a titter out of it, other locomotives run fine on the stretch of track it was on.

Will contact Hattons this morning to see if they will swap it out for another one, first time I've had a problem like this. :(

Hattons took one look at the loco confirmed it was a dud and promptly replaced it - Yay Hattons for excellent service.

But then they left me in the shop for a good five or ten minutes and I started browsing, oh dear, I had a list I swear but I ended up buying 4 MK1 blood/custard coaches that I found in a glass cabinet, they had fallen out of the stock system and no-one knew they were there. As I had a Royal Scot on my actual list I was compelled to buy them, this meant I had to cull other items off my list, but who needs another GUV or a full brake anyway.

Anyone had any problems with the pickups on the 47?

I got 47 474 for my Birthday. It runs a treat but it cuts out on nearly every joint. This results in the lights turning off, even if it does carry on. I think it may only be picking up of one pick up.

Any remedies or ideas greatfully received.

Anyone had any problems with the pickups on the 47?

I got 47 474 for my Birthday. It runs a treat but it cuts out on nearly every joint. This results in the lights turning off, even if it does carry on. I think it may only be picking up of one pick up.

Any remedies or ideas greatfully received.

Check all the pickups are making good contact on the wheel backs, and that they aren't oily or dirty (sometimes the Bachmann grease can be a bit overdone and find its way onto the backs of wheels and onto pickups).

Bogies just pull off so it's easy to check.

Also, worth adding additional pickups to the centre wheels - easy to do and adds an additional 4 wheels picking up juice.

Cheers,

Alan

Well, the grease was certainly overdone!

Anyway I found the problem and wanted to put it here in case anyone else has somehting similar. As I hadn't taken the bogies off before then it must have been like this from the factory.

Its real easy to fix.

So syptoms are that the loco gives up the ghoast (stutters) on every minor joint or frog. All other locos ran good in these areas.

It turns out one of the bogies is getting no power. How did I know, once removing the bogies and looking fom below there are the 2 brass contact strips next to the worm. Even though the loco had not been run much you can see where the contacts from the bogie rub on the contact strips in the chassis. In my case of the 2 ends (4 contacts), one of the contacts had no signs of wear :D it wasn't touching. Having examined the bogies the contacts sticking out were slightly bent.

Obviously as the chassis is generic this could happen to any of the locos but I am really pleased its sorted as it was an annoying problem that ruined the enjoyment of a great new loco.

Thanks for the advice

Russell

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

They look nice M. Im wondering if there is any special way that you have painted then as recently I fitted a similar set to my farish 37. Although very fine once fitted the fan is very hard to see below the grille even though it was only lightly sprayed. Those on your 47 look much more see through.

They look nice M. Im wondering if there is any special way that you have painted then as recently I fitted a similar set to my farish 37. Although very fine once fitted the fan is very hard to see below the grille even though it was only lightly sprayed. Those on your 47 look much more see through.

Hi RBE

The 47 grills are much easier to fit than the ones for the 37 and the holes are slightly bigger as per the prototype. With the 37 grills you just have to go very easy with the painting and use very thin layers of paint..... the real tough part is the varnishing which is the most problematic area as this can clog the grills, so again you just have to go easy and can be a case of just getting the magnifier out and use a pin to unclog some of the holes.

Pic of a 37 grill below

post-3594-0-38671800-1394359933.jpg

Cheers M. Tbh I think the initial coat of paint was a bit heavy, I tried a thin brush applied layer to being with which didnt work at all, probably my problem I reckon. I have another to do so will just go a lot easier on the paint. Good to see the 47 has a more open grille. They do look very good and I may well be tempted now.

Cheers M. Tbh I think the initial coat of paint was a bit heavy, I tried a thin brush applied layer to being with which didnt work at all, probably my problem I reckon. I have another to do so will just go a lot easier on the paint. Good to see the 47 has a more open grille. They do look very good and I may well be tempted now.

Yeah, brush painting these grills is never going to give a satisfactory result as the capillary action of the paint will thicken in all the places that you don't want it to go.... these grills are one thing that an airbrush is essential for good results.

I agree. I did remove what I intially added using thinners straight away but I think even the tiniest residual left behind was enough to reduce the openings once the spray coat was on.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The next batch of 47s are due for release in a few weeks time, and at the Bachmann trade open day today, I had the opportunity to compare the colours on the pre-production ScotRail Class 47/7 with those that Dapol used on our Mark 3 ScotRail coaches (now sold out).

The verdict - Spot On!

post-7003-0-68129500-1426803048_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Very difficult to say without having the model itself to examine, but to my eye the blue band on the Farish 47 looks a little thick; compare with this photo:

http://bit.ly/1MOnWh6

However, this is very subjective and probably a little unfair to judge on the basis of one photo.  Certainly the colours look to be a good match.

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 months later...

All the magazine reviews are saying that the 47/7's will be arriving shortly with no trombone pipe and the fuel tanks for a 47/8.

It seems Farish are saying this was for cost reasons. Personally I'd rather pay a couple of extra quid for a correct model rather than accept this.

Not happy paying over £100 for a loco that needs sorting to be right. I would cancel my order but I know we won't see them again for a long while. I feel that N gauge modellers are being treated as Second class compared to the OO guys.

Cheers

Mark 

• RMweb Gold

All the magazine reviews are saying that the 47/7's will be arriving shortly with no trombone pipe and the fuel tanks for a 47/8.

Cheers

Mark 

Hello Mark

The review sample I had for Model Rail was of 47701 in blue livery with grey roof, "original" style headlight and yellow end panels, dating it, I estimate, to the period 1982-85. 

At this time the loco did not have the "trombone pipes" so is correct, and this is mentioned in the review.  I have not seen any of the others, so the review makes no mention of them.

My understanding is that the trombone pipes were a modification to address difficulties that emerged once the 47/7s had been operating in constant push-pull mode for a while.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived