Farish Cl. 47

HealeyMills

• RMweb Premium

Returning to the Class 47/7. Does anyone make a cast or etched part to represent the omitted trombone pipes in N gauge? If not, anyone able to point me in the direction of a close up picture of the pipes in question so I can try and scratch build my own.

I made similar when I did a 59 a few years back. I put a couple of pins in some wood as a jig, bent the wire around it and soldered a couple of verticals to what would become the rear. 10 mins work I think.

Although it's a pain they haven't modelled it, at least the model is the correct shape and it's a reasonably easy part to fabricate

jo

• RMweb Premium

My ScotRail 47 has arrived. I will try and sort out a couple of pics tomorrow if I can. Meanwhile I can safely say it looks good although I reckon the ScotRail names are a tad heavy/thick I reckon.

Nothing to worry about though.

• RMweb Premium

Having seen the advert on the inside front cover of July BRM which was on the doormat when I got home tonight I have just one question.

When did class 47 diesels get tenders? As Farish claim that the 6 pin DCC is located in the tender!

• RMweb Premium

Mine has just been out for its first run on my (very early days!) Scottish Highland layout.  It took its first trip there and back on the branch line (the main line is closed - large hole in it!!) where it will not normally run and it was noticeable that some of the tight curves it really didn't like (unlike 37407 which sails along through these no problem).

One thing I did notice was how dark and almost old school Lima muck covered the wheels were.  A little cleaning may be required...

post-6910-0-72442900-1434203260_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-73929600-1434203267_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-28600700-1434203276_thumb.jpg

This reply is image heavy

Cross-posted with other model railway forums

Collected all my ScotRail Class 47/7 locos from C&M Models today

I was debating whether to purchase the BR Blue and Large Logo Blue, or just (two of) the Large Logo Blue

Whilst at C & M Models I opened up 47711 to allow a closer inspection

After this close inspection decided to continue with my original decision

The number of ScotRail livery was increased from three to eight

It was noted there are two different bodyshells

Early 47/7 :

47701 and 47711 share the same body shell

There is no cab shore radio antenna

Later 47/7 :

47710 differs and has a cab shore radio antenna (and presumably 47715 will be identical)

Oddly, given there are two different bodyshell it raises the question why Farish didn't repeat this for the air pipe, but that debate is now dead

There is a detailing bag included

It was noted there is a hole for fitting the ETH socket

However, within the bag the socket itself is black

The earlier 37/4 had a similar socket, but at least it was yellow

So sadly this is another flaw with this model

The final inspection and main reason for Farish producing this model are the RCH cables

These are well reproduced and are raised fixed mouldings

Sadly with so many models these are all going to look the same, but anyone with just one Class 47/7 on their layout won't notice

Graham Farish 372-243

Class 47/7 47701 BR Blue

47701-A-side-resize.jpg

47701-B-side-resize.jpg

47701-No1-end-resize.jpg

47701-No2-end-resize.jpg

Graham Farish 372-244

Class 47/7 47711 Large Logo Blue

47711-A-side-resize.jpg

47711-B-side-resize.jpg

47711-No2-end-01-resize.jpg

47711-No2-end-02-resize.jpg

Graham Farish 372-345

Class 47/7 47710 ScotRail

47710-A-side-resize.jpg

47710-B-side-resize.jpg

47710-No2-end-resize.jpg

Having seen the advert on the inside front cover of July BRM which was on the doormat when I got home tonight I have just one question.

When did class 47 diesels get tenders? As Farish claim that the 6 pin DCC is located in the tender!

Now, now, anyone can make a mistake and if you leave off the brake cooling pipes that just adds another error.

Personally I wouldn't consider that a 'flaw with the model' - just another niggling error: a missing bit of paint. Fortunately nothing wrongly shaped or not included. At least it's something that is easy to rectify. And I guess there will be many purchasers who don't even add that separately supplied bit to their model, let alone add some paint to it.

G.

It was noted there are two different bodyshells

Early 47/7 :

47701 and 47711 share the same body shell

There is no cab shore radio antenna

Later 47/7 :

47710 differs and has a cab shore radio antenna (and presumably 47715 will be identical)

Oddly, given there are two different bodyshell it raises the question why Farish didn't repeat this for the air pipe, but that debate is now dead

There is a detailing bag included

It was noted there is a hole for fitting the ETH socket

The final inspection and main reason for Farish producing this model are the RCH cables

These are well reproduced and are raised fixed mouldings

Sadly with so many models these are all going to look the same, but anyone with just one Class 47/7 on their layout won't notice

Looks like the paintwork on the roofs of the blue models is a bit rough in places and the surface finish on the cab fronts looks a bit grainy also. Not quite the clean bill of health I was hoping for. I also take your point about the jumper cables. Makes you wonder if these couldn't have been plug in extras like the ETH socket. Ah well maybe it was all done to keep the cost down.

Looks like the paintwork on the roofs of the blue models is a bit rough in places and the surface finish on the cab fronts looks a bit grainy also

It's amazing what a closeup photo shows

However, bear in mind these are extreme closeups with ISO 1600

I noticed these flaws when I edited the images

The only noticeable one is the slight missing grey on 47701

However, after weathering this should disappear

I had a similar issue with a Farish Class 43 (HST Power Car) and a large mark on the roof, but again weathering made this disappear

• RMweb Gold

Hello there,

Those photographs are extremely enlarged. I am not sure any model would stand up at such magnification.  The paint finish on the blue one I have is perfectly acceptable.

And you're right, all the "problems" mentioned - unpainted detail parts, moulded jumper cables* and missing cooling pipes are a function of Farish desperately trying to keep costs down for the notoriously price-sensitive British market.

* There is an argument to say that the real RCH cables are so fine that if they were separately fitted parts they would look horribly overscale, and delicately painting the mouldings is the best solution.

cheers

Ben A.

None of the bufferbeam fitted pipework has paint on them so why would they add it to the eth connector? They dont on their other 47s. Its a very easy 'fix' to paint a dab of orange on there. My word do 'some' modelling guys. As for the moulded RCH connectors I have no issue with these being moulded. The benefit of seperately fitted parts are to allow daylight to be seen behind things. The real cables as so close to the cab front that in N there is really no need and the moulded on and painted version arguably looks better and finer than any seperate fitting. I would much sooner champion seperate front handrails on the farish 47. Those moulded on are a dissappointment. Oddly the door handrails that are recessed and show no daylight are seperate wire fittings. Logic beggars belief sometimes

Those photographs are extremely enlarged. I am not sure any model would stand up at such magnification.  The paint finish on the blue one I have is perfectly acceptable.

Agree to a point, I have performed similar such closeups (they are not enlarged, it is just the dimensions otherwise cropping would apply) on my other N gauge models

I mainly wanted to show the holes for the detailing, especially the ETH sockets something I was not aware of, and RCH cables

None of the bufferbeam fitted pipework has paint on them so why would they add it to the eth connector?

The previous Class 37/4 has similar detailing, and the ETH socket is supplied in yellow plastic rather than black plastic

interesting livery variation with arrows either before of after Scotrail.

710 is correct as modelled, 711 has arrows after on both sides and 708 can be found in both variations!

Re-numberers beware!

Alan.

post-23554-0-23469500-1434278498.jpg

I have reference photos of all the Class 47/7 locos, in ScotRail livery

There are a few possibilities for basic renumbering 47710

The main issue is the size of the nameplate, as most of the others are quite small

Equally, you need to take into account some of the Class 47/7 have one flush end

Noted also that farish have never painted the window surrounds black, in either InterCity or ScotRail livery

One final discrepancy is 47717, which had dark grey RCH cable mountings and NO warning flashes, and the later cab shore radio antenna (T shaped)!

• RMweb Gold

Not at the moment

Someone produced a transfer, and I still have one :

Class47-airpipe-transfer.jpg

That was me! I still have the artwork for these pipes, so please drop me a line if you would like another run made. They will be on shiny self-adhesive vinyl but can be matted and weathered with acrylics.

That was me! I still have the artwork for these pipes, so please drop me a line if you would like another run made. They will be on shiny self-adhesive vinyl but can be matted and weathered with acrylics.

I have been comparing this vinyl to the actual item

It needs updating as the pipes are actually different lengths!

I will put together some reference photos, and send these to you in due course

interesting livery variation with arrows either before of after Scotrail.

710 is correct as modelled, 711 has arrows after on both sides and 708 can be found in both variations!

I have been looking into this a bit more

The InterCity and ScotRail livery was initially specified with the logo at the Number 2 end and BR double arrow at the No 1 end of a locomotive, unless the nameplate was at the Number 2 end

This was later changed with no need to position the double arrow relative to the Number 2 end, hence why some ScotRail locos had both version

Oddly, I cannot find any InterCity locos which had both versions

It needs updating as the pipes are actually different lengths!

I will put together some reference photos, and send these to you in due course

These are probably the best in a quick search :

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5524/10150593145_8bc4c76935_b.jpg

http://www.tosh-railways.com/Railways/70-uk-railway-photography/Class-47-7-diesel-locomotive-1/i-mFBzLmW/1/L/47705%20Chester%2099-L.jpg

Archived