Farish Cl. 47

HealeyMills

• RMweb Gold

Pictures here from Bachmann stand all look to have the same fuel tank arrangement:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96641-graham-farish-announcements-for-20156/page-7 

Don't know if this helps or if these were completed bodies on a standard chassis and not the chassis they would be shipped with.

Hi there,

The pipes are only on one side on the prototype and unfortunately in the photos on p7 of that thread the locos are orientated so that the "non-piped" sides are showing...!

cheers

Ben A.

Don't know if this helps or if these were completed bodies on a standard chassis and not the chassis they would be shipped with.

I also thought it was a sample body on an existing (47612) chassis

However, that is NOT the case

If you look closely at those photos you will see it is the later type, with just the Long Range Fuel tank

Farish have since confirmed the plan was to announce some other models with this arrangement, as that is all the combinations now covered

Sadly, the 47/7 does not come with the air pipe, hence why the models were turned (oriented) No1 end on the left and No2 end on the right

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I still haven't checked them for myself, but if the "trombone" cooling pipe is missing on the later versions, then that will be a disappointment as it is visually very distinctive.  If they needed to compromise I almost think they'd have been better off using the 57 tanks with the pipe, than the 47 ones without it.

Given the lengths Farish have gone to in improving their fidelity in the last decade this seems a real shame.

cheers

Ben A.

it does surprise me,like you say they could have compromised with 57 tanks or given the long time in delivering what was effectively some jumper cables on the front of a 47 then they should have adapted the tanks to include pipes.

the trombones didn't exist on the plain blue one's

The modification wasn't made until 1983, so some BR Blue did eventually have this modification

Equally, 47711 in Large Logo Blue did eventually have this modification

So Farish have correctly modelled the early version between 1982 and 1983

That just leaves 47710 in ScotRail and 47715 in NSE

Sadly they don't

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised no one has commented on the headlight arrangement on the earlier liveries.  Looking at the mag reviews which show just a led lens shoved out through a hole in the cab front I think it is somewhat naff.

• RMweb Gold

I am surprised no one has commented on the headlight arrangement on the earlier liveries.  Looking at the mag reviews which show just a led lens shoved out through a hole in the cab front I think it is somewhat naff.

Hi John,

For the review sample I had (47701) the light on the prototype at this time was just a vehicle lamp fitted on.  I actually think the solution of the light guide emerging from the hole is a reasonable representation of this in N.  I could not think of a better solution given the size.  I can't speak for the other versions though, as I have not seen them.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

The pictures in Rail Express also seem to show the same arrangements for the headcode box with the LEDs just picking through.

• RMweb Premium

If I get one of the earlier livery ones I shall be looking at making the headlights look a bit better I think. At the moment I only have the ScotRail one on preorder.

There's a picture of 47 707 at Paignton in October 1979 in 'Diesels on the Western' by John Vaughan.

47707 was one of the first converted at Derby in May 1979

Just like any other Scottish based loco it ended up all over the place during 1979, after a short spell in Scotland in June 1979 it was surplus to requirement, but back in Scotland by March 1980 for the commencement of push-pull operations

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that when the 47/7 push pull operations came to an end they were overhauled for NSE, some being repainted at Glasgow works but one in newly repainted NSE livery escaped and worked around Scotland for a little while before transfer south.  By the same token at least one ScotRail one made it down south and ran around the south of England without being repainted.  I think it even retained its Scottie Dogs for some time.

The modification wasn't made until 1983, so some BR Blue did eventually have this modification

Equally, 47711 in Large Logo Blue did eventually have this modification

So Farish have correctly modelled the early version between 1982 and 1983

That just leaves 47710 in ScotRail and 47715 in NSE

Sadly they don't

Indeed here is 704 in 1984. I think the omission of the trombone is unforgivable as to me its one of the distintive features that make it a 7!

post-6894-0-91750200-1432637655.jpg

Don't forget that when the 47/7 push pull operations came to an end they were overhauled for NSE, some being repainted at Glasgow works but one in newly repainted NSE livery escaped and worked around Scotland for a little while before transfer south.  By the same token at least one ScotRail one made it down south and ran around the south of England without being repainted.  I think it even retained its Scottie Dogs for some time.

The transfer away of 47/7 went completely pear shaped

It was originally planned they would be released in 1989, all that were due maintenance were booked into works over that 18 month period, but they soldiered on until 1991

Three Class 47/7 ended up being overdue overhauls and had to be retained by ScotRail

47711 was slightly overdue, so in 1989 was the first completed and was the only Class 47/7 to carry the modified version of the ScotRail livery (BR logo and yellow headcode panel)

As a result 47702 was overhauled and repainted into ScotRail livery with a BR logo only

The transfer of 47706 was delayed, so it had its nameplates removed some time in advance and its logos painted out (this is the loco you are referring to), it was decided not to repaint the loco during its overhaul (as it would have been less than 12 months in ScotRail livery, but too long in NSE livery)

The final one was (can't find the photo) and spent just a few weeks in NSE livery in Scotland

Furthermore, I believe this was the only Eastfield loco to carry NSE livery

The demise of the Class 50 fleet accelerated the transfer away of the Class 47/7 locos, overhauls were deferred for a further 6 months

Such was the urgency that a cobbled together plan using Class 156 units in Scotland was used

Found the Scotrail and NSE ones available on eBay this morning!  Can't see them in the shops but surely it won't be long

Seller listed them yesterday

Retailers have confirmed their requirements, due to delay, for ScotRail and NSE liveries, and should arrive by Friday

I amended my order for 10 Class 47/7 last week, swapping one BR Blue to Large Logo Blue, and am collecting my box of ScotRail livery next week (which also includes the last of my Class 37/4

That just leaves the Large Logo Blue which should be available later this month

Sounds like it is one of the other containers, or buried at the back!

Your's is gonna be one hell of a layout!  Will it be doing the rounds on the exhibition circuit?

No, instead I am going to create several videos

I am also looking into live video feeds

However, I am currently looking for a club with N gauge DCC

I have plenty of storage boxes for transportation

The transfer away of 47/7 went completely pear shaped

It was originally planned they would be released in 1989, all that were due maintenance were booked into works over that 18 month period, but they soldiered on until 1991

Three Class 47/7 ended up being overdue overhauls and had to be retained by ScotRail

47711 was slightly overdue, so in 1989 was the first completed and was the only Class 47/7 to carry the modified version of the ScotRail livery (BR logo and yellow headcode panel)

As a result 47702 was overhauled and repainted into ScotRail livery with a BR logo only

The transfer of 47706 was delayed, so it had its nameplates removed some time in advance and its logos painted out (this is the loco you are referring to), it was decided not to repaint the loco during its overhaul (as it would have been less than 12 months in ScotRail livery, but too long in NSE livery)

The final one was (can't find the photo) and spent just a few weeks in NSE livery in Scotland

Furthermore, I believe this was the only Eastfield loco to carry NSE livery

The demise of the Class 50 fleet accelerated the transfer away of the Class 47/7 locos, overhauls were deferred for a further 6 months

Such was the urgency that a cobbled together plan using Class 156 units in Scotland was used

I suspect the one you're looking for is 47702 seen pictured at Inverness in NSE livery

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0925010359000

Just got the Whats new email from Model Railways Direct, but when you go to their website it says out of stock due 14-21 days, yeah I get that. BUT

£101.96, this hobby cant be far off getting beyond the means of most.

£101.96, this hobby cant be far off getting beyond the means of most.

Never mind the retailers out there that charge the full RRP

Furthermore, the earlier Class 37/4 has now passed the 12 week fixed price window, but most stocks were exhausted, and the latest batch was at the higher price, so the 12 week window for that has to pass

Equally, it is well more than 12 weeks for the Class 37/4 and so far I have only seen one retailer offer at less than £89.21

Archived