Turkish 8Fs about to move from Portbury

Captain Kernow

My recollection of the rules for moving shunting locos dead-in-train on BR is that they were limited to 20 or 25 mph (about the equivalent of the 40 kph the Turkish convoy was meant to be moved at) and they had to be stopped for examination every hour or so.

One other reason they always went slowly is that usually at least the connecting rod is removed. This means the wheels are out of balance and will hammer the track if moved at a higher speed.

Tom

That was what was said at first, later comments by the team seem to suggest electrical failure.

Very likely that a traction motor overheated and caused the loco to fail, but the shower of sparks was from the wheel rail interface, you don't see anything from an overheated traction motor, its all enclosed and would be shut down by the protection circuits before there's anything to see. If its a DC traction motor failure could have occurred in the brushgear or in the windings depending on their condition before the overload, or if they were lucky it might have shut down before there was serious damage.

Regards

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Very likely that a traction motor overheated and caused the loco to fail,

Regards

Keith

It was certainly getting a bit of a hammering. The engine note suggested a lot of power was being applied but it wasn't going anywhere fast!

Over all the Turkish railway authorities seem to have a bit of a cavalier attitude to moving the locos. Even the faulty air brake pipes were fixed with a bodge! I can't see Network rail letting anything like that happen.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

45166 was WD 341 and 45170 WD 554, built by NBL in 1941 and 1942 respectively for the WD.

Thanks for that.

I assume therefore that the one already repatriated from Turkey was also a WD ordered loco and the "built GWR" plate was just to tie in with it's sometime false identity as an LMS 84XX series loco.

Keith

Thanks for that.

I assume therefore that the one already repatriated from Turkey was also a WD ordered loco and the "built GWR" plate was just to tie in with it's sometime false identity as an LMS 84XX series loco.

Keith

45160 was WD 348 built by NBL in 1941

According to this web page there are two more dumped in Turkey along with one in a museum and one on a plinth.

• 6 months later...

Credit to the guys who made this happen, I've seen pictures of the dumped ones that remain there one is in a bad way with no tender the other is in a compound with other locos and rolling stock I've also seen the one in the camilak museum but I couldn't find any pictures of the plinthed one? But i know there is one. Let's hope they bring some more back as mentioned Eleyer they are virtually complete locos all fittings and pipework etc alot easier to restore than a Barry wreck, while Im here does anyone know what happened to the others that were sent there and I don't mean the ones in the sea, I mean the ones that ran there during the war, did they get scrapped over there or did they return after the war? Cheers ad

• RMweb Premium

There are some photos of sidings at Alasehir linked in Google Earth. One appears to show an 8F on the outermost siding to the right of the picture. The loco is at 38°21'24.79" N 28°30'59.80" E

That would, according to sources on line, be 45165.

• 9 months later...

I really hope one of these locos are restored to as built WD condition complete with westinghouse air brake gear and the big cylinders on the running plate all in WD black or grey complete with there WD identity, instead of a next in line BR number.

It would form and represent an important part of the class history and the large roll the Railways played in the war.

would certainly look the part at any war time gala along with a WD 2.8.0. and an s160.

I really hope one of these locos are restored to as built WD condition complete with westinghouse air brake gear and the big cylinders on the running plate all in WD black or grey complete with there WD identity, instead of a next in line BR number.

It would form and represent an important part of the class history and the large roll the Railways played in the war.

would certainly look the part at any war time gala along with a WD 2.8.0. and an s160.

I think the numbers quoted are the Turkish numbers rather than the next in line BR number.

Regards

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived