Gough's Yard (O Gauge Module)

Jack

OK, I've been after building an O gauge micro layout for a while, and the thought of a modular layout inspired me.

So here goes. My focus is pre-grouping and private owner, so the main stock will be a couple of ex-LBSC Terriers, an SECR P and a couple of private industrial types. Plenty of 4 wheel wagons to shunt them around.

The track plan is a Timesaver and has been worked out accordingly. I have deliberatly made the central running line straight so the module can accomodate longer stock when joined to other layouts.

The pointwork is 48" radius, the control will be my own hybrid DCC/DC box which is also in progress. This has been designed to allow me to control either layout in either DC or DCC mode. Points will be Tortoise powered. The control input to this module will be fully isolating to make joining other modules easier (a fancy way of saying i'll include an on/off switch for the controller!).

post-7154-0-52481300-1294250733_thumb.jpg

The 8'x18" folding board is 75% finished and I've got most of the components ready to start. Photos will follow in a couple of weeks when more progress is made.

Oh, and an impulse purchase of an L&M Transporter wagon, plus a fab holiday in Austria, has lead to the inclusion of the narrow gauge spur at the bottom. A special joining section will be included so this can still be used when joined to other modules.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

How is this little project coming on ? Have you had any more offers of connecting modules ?

Hi Stu,

No offers or other modules yet ... it could turn into a one man modular concept ;)

Unfortunatly nothing has progressed since posting the plan as I haven't been home yet ... I've had a very nomadic lifestyle since Christmas!! However, I'm champing at the bit to get going, so once i get home it will be full steam ahead!

Cheers

I'm kinds hoping that my O gauge project even though it's made with copperclad track will be able to dock - as long as I make my own interconnecting modules with Peco track

Sounds interesting, any further details?

• 1 month later...

A couple of pictures showing the boards in their current state, plus the laying out of the points (48" Marcway).

Firstly, the right hand board. This shows the cut-out for the narrow gauge feeder ...

post-7154-0-36151400-1300382863_thumb.jpg

... and the left hand board ...

post-7154-0-99157300-1300382894_thumb.jpg

Sadly today's carpentry time was eaten up by Phaff and Nonsense (tempting to do a PO wagon under that name) ... hopefully next week there will be some better progress ...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd better post an update what with the group stuff getting sorted ...

... the boards are nearly finished, they have backscenes, dowels, clips etc. However, they still need a couple of coats of varnish. Unfortunatly life got in the way over the past two months ... very annoying.

We've also had a string of visitors recently, so I haven't been able to set the layout up properly and work on it. However, from next week there should be some progress (famous last words)!!

The all the visitors evicted it has been full steam ahead this week. After finishing the fiddle yard for Nell's Bridge (the woodwork bit anyway), I moved on to Gough's Yard again. The day has been spent varnishing ... still about half to do and it is quite laborious. However, having had to bin one layout through damage caused by damp, I feel in the long term it will be worth it.

Pics should follow next week when I have finished ...

• 2 weeks later...

The last coat of varnish is now trying on the boards, which have finally been erected in the garage.

Although it will soon be time to get cracking, now that Gough's isn't going to Stafford I'm tempted to get Nell's Bridge refurbished first ... not sure why, but my feet have been more itchy around that lately ...

• 3 weeks later...

The last of the backscene paint is on and the corking is finished. The next job is track laying. Unfortunatly we've just been unexpectedly invaded by trainee priests and the house resembles a scene from Father Ted ...

... hopefully there will be time to take pictures tomorrow (of the layout, not the priests :drinks:).

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished laying the track. Everything is now in place, hopefully i'll start the wiring tomorrow. With the forum running so slowly atm i'm not sure how i'm going to get the pics loaded up ... nothing to do with Andy and everything to do with rubbish rural broadband

I also need to experiement with the tortoise motors on my marcway points. As others have commented on elsewhere, the points are quite stiff and I may need to replace the supplied wire with something thicker.

Hurrah! The track is laid and wired, the tortoise motors are working (now they have heavy grade wire in them) and I've just spent a good half hour playing trains.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when the light is better ...

The latest update pics showing the wiring and track ... some scenery may appear in the future, but as this is my first 7mm layout, i may have to give it a thorough 'test' first :yes:

post-7154-0-86551700-1311762413_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-77608900-1311762439_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-39665100-1311762657_thumb.jpg

post-7154-0-48314700-1311762643_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jack
Pic Rotation
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice project

I do like these 0 gauge micro layouts which demonstrate you can get a lot in a relatively small space and still have fun

Have various bits of rolling stock in boxes ready for when I make the leap

Watching with interest :yes:

• Like 1

Looking very nice Jack.

How heavy/easy to move is it, when it's all boxed up ?

Thanks

Its not too bad, pretty much the same as a set of 'coffined' boards of similar dimensions. I can certainly maneauver it on my own if i need to ... and i don't exactly have an athletic physique!!!

The only slight pain has been tracing electrical faults. Because the boards are permanently joined, to get underneath either means crawling, or folding the whole thing up. That said, setup is a lot quicker with a folding board. I'm confident enough in my wiring that i shouldn't have to root around the underside too often (famous last words) ...

Nice project

I do like these 0 gauge micro layouts which demonstrate you can get a lot in a relatively small space and still have fun

Have various bits of rolling stock in boxes ready for when I make the leap

Watching with interest :yes:

Thanks ... it is approximatly half the size of my last OO layout attempt and has a considerably smaller amount of track on it ... it has certainly made a big difference in terms of build time. I've spent a bit more getting to this stage, but not much ...

Told you I'd have a look Jack, what is the area where the track is just on chairs on a white sub-base?

John.

Thats where I'm planing on having the rails inset into cobbles, the white stuff is 2mm plasticard ... as it turns out, it would have been cheaper and easier to lay the plasticard straight onto ordinary flexitrack ... oh well, live and learn!!