Simple DCC Question - Buying New Locos

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Recently returned to the hobby after a long layoff (30 years). Not interested in DCC - staying DC.

I am lucky to have a large stable of locos from Pre DCC days, but I fancy buying a particular new model from Hornby. Am I OK to go for something which is "DCC Ready" to run on DC?

(I did look for an idiot's guide on here but found nothing)

Thanks - won't be bothering you here in the DCC forum again - promise......

Guest dilbert

The short answer is yes - DCC Ready means the socket is present but the loco has not been chipped, so OK for DC operations...dilbert

As Dilbert has said, a socket is present ready for easy fitting of a decoder; but the loco is only able to run on DC at this stage.

i.e DCC Ready means a DC loco which has been pre-prepared for converting to DCC.

The socket will have a blanking plug in place. Changing to DCC simply entails removing the blanking plug and replacing it with a suitable decoder.

This blanking plug must remain in place if the model is to be run on DC. Without it the loco will not run.

• RMweb Premium

Dilbert and Oakydoke - thanks - I will go price comparing now.

And I promise never to darken the DCC forum's door again. (unless you tell me that my new Haljan turntable will only work on DCC....:angry: Hope not.

Archived