BAA Steel Coil Carrier Wagon

WhiteRoseRambler

Thanks for pointing these out, they're looking good, hopefully the loads and cradles will be removeable so that they can be mixed in with BBA's to model slab trains,such as lackenby - llanwern/margam that ran up until a few years ago. The coils certainly look more convincing than the weird things that came with Dapols covered coil carrier.

Quite agree, Cardiff bluebird, steel traffic is starting to become quite well represented in RTR, i'd love to see a JSA covered coil carrier though.

Chris

By the look of the wagon, the caddles look not to be secured to the wagon. So you will be able to use the vehicle for slab work as well. My only concern with this is that the caddle wont be secure on the wagon when shunting etc and might slip off Llanwern style !.

I will drop Bachmann a line and ask, if that is poss?

Bluebird.

hopefully the loads and cradles will be removeable

Chris

The Bachmann site does mention the following:

'Five-part steel coil load with cradles compatible with BDA bogie bolster wagons'

From that I summise that they are indeed removeable. It would save having to buy a rake of empties for the return working!

Cheers,

Chris

By the look of the wagon, the caddles look not to be secured to the wagon. So you will be able to use the vehicle for slab work as well. My only concern with this is that the caddle wont be secure on the wagon when shunting etc and might slip off Llanwern style !.

I think you'd probably need to decide whether you were modelling a BAA (which doesn't have cradles) or a BZA which uses that cradle style - and if you're modelling a BZA then add the cradles on!

There seems to be a "base" under the cradle which doesn't feature on the real thing, and there seems to be lots of coils there (most i've shot show only two big coils or three smaller ones) - but provided you can "customise" the load parts it should be pretty good. :)

They shouldnt come off either when they are loaded, but they do !!! :D . Margam Lackenby via Llanwern en route between Severn Tunnel Junction and Lydney a loaded steel coil train lost a coil at close to 60mph !!!! The erent coil was left in situ down the embankment for several months after the incident !.

That gives me an idea for a little cameo !!! :D .

Ive email Bachmann asking the situatution, so when/if they get back I'll post on here.

Bluebird.

I think you'd probably need to decide whether you were modelling a BAA (which doesn't have cradles) or a BZA which uses that cradle style - and if you're modelling a BZA then add the cradles on!

There seems to be a "base" under the cradle which doesn't feature on the real thing, and there seems to be lots of coils there (most i've shot show only two big coils or three smaller ones) - but provided you can "customise" the load parts it should be pretty good. :)

Dear

:unsure: Apologies but you have to be far more careful in using TOPS codes as descriptors, and these BAA are one of the best example of this. BZA is a recent code (mid 1990s I believe) and my collection "BAA, BKA, Steel carriers" (C#1284673) – 165 photographs http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1284673.html shows that most BAA adapted for coil carrying retained the BAA code.

We will have to wait and see what Bachmann does in detail with these models. They have already said they will do three ends; whether the cradles will vary remains unknown. However, these are incredibly complex wagons, the cradles being removable they could be swapped, removed, replaced... and the variety of cradles is considerable. Hardly surprising as these wagons are nearly 40 years old. This BZA http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p42410735.html appears to be very similar to the model picture released by Bachmann. Just be pleased that such an interesting and useful wagon is being released.

Paul Bartlett

WhiteRoseRamblewr, Thanks for mentioning about the image on the Bachmann website I have just had a look and it certainly does look very nice indeed. I think that may well be my favourite wagon!

I can see my rake of Cambrian ones being replaced at the end of the year!!!

I too used to love the old Tubeliner and they will look superb behind a pair of Bachmann 37/5s or a nice Metals class 60!.....Bring it on!!

I wonder if they will do any wagons with solid brake handles?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All three of the first release are now shown on their site.

Original of 38-350 here http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/baa/h3fd64b28#h3fd64b28

Original of 38-351 at http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/baa/h3fd64b28#h3b8f931d

I cannot read the number of 352.

Paul Bartlett

• 2 weeks later...