BAA Steel Coil Carrier Wagon

WhiteRoseRambler

Hi Nick, very nice. Lovely collection of wagons you have. Do I spy some RRAs to go with your BDAs?

Do you have any photos of them in action? What traction do you have for hauling them?

I agree the Colin Craig brake inserts do make a difference and look very nice indeed. I think you have convinced me to do mine!

GrimleyGrid - The two 2-axles are RNAs which I have to confess buying from that leading auction site. The 4 bolsters are the old mainline ones - BDA predecessors I think. I've done a good few proper BDAs too..... will stick a picture up in the weathering section.

RNAs - I've just weathered them and fitted brake disc inserts.

Traction wise I haven't run the BAA/BZAs yet - maybe this weekend - and I'll try to get a picture or two with some tasty traction. Learning on the weathering front, for these I've hand painted the wheels before fitting the brake discs and I've lubricated the pin points in the hope of being able to get them running nicely.

David aka d winpenny - thank you. I will stick some more weathering pics in the right section rather than hijack this thread !

Regards

Nick

GrimleyGrid - The two 2-axles are RNAs which I have to confess buying from that leading auction site. The 4 bolsters are the old mainline ones - BDA predecessors I think. I've done a good few proper BDAs too..... will stick a picture up in the weathering section.

Regards

Nick

Did I sell you the RNA's ??? I sold a couple off sometime back. Which size brake disc inserts did you use? Nice grimey BAA'S

Steve

Hi Steve

Think the guy was 37906 slug.... Could be you ? Either way I must say the RNAs are superb.

Discs: cc07w

Saved me a huge amount of work with them being "ready to glue" - no snapping out of the fret and filing the lugs !

I've put some pics in the weathering thread now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

How many of these would I need to make a realistic rake?

Sorry forgot to say I model N gauge and can only find this thread.

I was looking at getting 14 railfreight red,

Cheers

Porkie

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I finally painted the cradles at last, The wagon needed a bit more work on it to finish the deck of it off, more sanded needed to flatten, once that was done I painted the cradle, I used a rust colour for them as most of the ones I've seen at Cardiff were rusted with the outline of the coil on the outside. I've not added the centre divider on the cradles over the bogies as I'm adding long coils for this wagon.

post-8106-0-24434000-1374226388_thumb.jpg

I've got a bit more work of the wagon with adding new tops codes and numbers, plus adding the numbers to the cradles and adding electric flashes. It's not a perfect copy but it does look the part and once I've added coils and seen it behind a 66 or 60 then I've done a good job

post-8106-0-46557900-1374226624_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Nick,

The cradles are from Genesis kits and very easy to make, I glued them to fix them or you can solder them if your brave. (My last attempt was a disaster, melted it, so haven't tried again) The cradles need to be sanded down and test fitted before making, It's a long job but well worth it in the long run. The hardest part is the wagon itself, the deck needs to be sanded or hacked till it's smooth then half of the deck need cutting out, as the proper deck has large areas cut out to aid in the cooling of the coils. The wagon isn't finished as I've got to add the electronic flashes to the cradles and add wagon numbers to the sides. New tops codes to be made and then make another 5-7 for a good rake of them.

• 4 months later...

I am building the Cambrian Models kit (C23) of these as BBA. The old instructions are a bit ambiguous so some help would be appreciated : 

1. Does anybody know if there are two tanks and two cylinders fitted to the wagons on both sides or just one of each on one side ? I have been looking at the Paul Bartlett photos but it is a bit hard to tell what is going on underneath the wagons.

2. Are the two brake C/O levers both fitted to the same end ie. are they opposite each other ?

3. The buffer fittings come with two flat ''steps''. Should these be fitted facing up and down or sideways ? If there was only one flat step then I would put it on top but I am not sure what they are.

4. Can you buy the steel rolls and cradles separately from anybody ?

Edited by brian777999

The brake changeover lever is opposite each other, connected by a rod. There would be only one air brake cylinder and brake valve per wagon. The buffers iirc are stepped on the top and bottom so can be fitted to the prototype either way round. For cradles, Colin Craig does a etch now for them, different type to the genesis ones above. Colin Craig also does the disc brake inserts you will require, very easy to fit with a bit of superglue.

Colin Craig also does the disc brake inserts you will require, very easy to fit with a bit of superglue.

Thank you for the information. The Cambrian kit does come with the disc brakes ; they are designed to be glued onto three hole disc wheels.

C/O = ''change over'' . I did mean to ask what that was !

Edited by brian777999

Hi folks, newby here but thought I'd add my bit to this too. Have slowly been starting to weather and detail my rake of 14 BAA's (11 EWS, 2 Railfreight and 1 Metals Sector) 

Like rs4 I've also used Colin Craig etched wheel discs but instead of my usual sized ones had to resort to the slightly smaller CC02W discs which fit in the wheels an absolute treat.

9c.jpg9f.jpg

Once weathered up and detailed though, they look great.

Dave

• Like 13

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have recently acquired four pre-loved 38-352 (railfreight red) BAAs with only three coil cradles per wagon. My initial research shows the wagons sold as new (and the prototype when carrying coils in the linear format) have five cradles per wagon. 

I am assuming therefore that running with three cradles only would be unprototypical carrying coils in the linear format.

Am I right in thinking one way around this would be to mount the cradles and coils transverse (eye to the side) or without cradles (eye to the sky). The latter would require a cut down of the bachman coils or buying replacements. I have trawled the usual photo sites.

TIA for any advice from steel wagon afficionados.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an acknowledgement on forum of assistance recently provided to me by Nick (RS4) when I was looking for spare coil cradles for these wagons.

I model British 00 1967 - 2000s here in Brisbane and thus am without much localised modelling support, so it was great camaraderie for Nick to help out from 12,000 miles away.

One of the many benefits of this global model railway club that is RMWeb.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Grimley,

Must have been a heavy load on that BAA!  It is also interesting in that the train has coils in both linear and transverse cradles in the same train, as well as slab carrying wagons. Perhaps it was just some sort of shunting move.

John

• RMweb Gold

I found this video the other day and noticed something very interesting at 9:40, very topical and may be of interest. The first BAA has 7 coils in total on the five craddles, something that I have not seen before!

Spare cradles in the SPAs too? Not seen that either. Very interesting.

Thanks Grimley,

Must have been a heavy load on that BAA!  It is also interesting in that the train has coils in both linear and transverse cradles in the same train, as well as slab carrying wagons. Perhaps it was just some sort of shunting move.

John

4 coils on that first wagon are smaller than the first. Makes for an interesting load.

Trip move perhaps?