BAA Steel Coil Carrier Wagon

WhiteRoseRambler

I think you are right John, seriously loaded! The wagon was definitely earning its keep.

Griff, yes the coils must be smaller ones.

If you look at Flickr and search for 6M47 Lakenby to Corby you can see how it was loaded. The larger coils seem to be carried in threes and when there are five coils they appear to be much smaller/lighter.

This is just quality, right up my street!

9129586626_5a17ec8ca6.jpg60023 6M47 Lackenby-Corby, Heanor Junction 15.04.91 by rroadmick, on Flickr

I used to love this train!

Oh, just found this one too!

9129588748_fe01a4dc3f.jpg60004 6M47 Lackenby-Corby, Barrow Hill 19.05.92 by rroadmick, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

It didn't seem worth starting a whole new thread just to mention this, so apologies for resurrecting this one.  It seems as good a place as any.  I just happened to discover that the Model Railway Scenery download-and-print steel coil loads fit pretty much exactly on the Bachmann steel coils.  The inside diameter needs trimming a little but the width is spot on.  I didn't fancy painting them all, so that's a big bonus for me.  OK, they'll never be as good as others have shown here, but certainly an improvement on the bare plastic, and a bit more varied.  That's the load sorted, just need to weather the rest of the wagons now...

With the usual disclaimer, no connection apart from being a satisfied customer, the link can be found here:

http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/2014/11/steel-coil-wagon-loads-ax008-oo4mm176/

• Like 1

If you decide to paint the Bachmann steel coils:

I airbrushed them with Humbrol RAF blue enamel. Allow this to dry thoroughly and then shade with an HB pencil. This must be done gently to avoid scratching the paint. Rub with tissue to give a steel like sheen. Finish with very thin strips of black or blue electrical tape to simulate the banding. Worked for me....

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

They look great. I fancy making some smaller ones like that so that I can load 4 onto some BAA wagons. BAA wagons very difficult to find at the moment.

John

I bought most of my baa many years ago , mostly the railfreight ones , will be doing 5 BXA , 5 BSA , 4 BZA all with Stenson models etched cradles and at least one with wooden cradles, I may post if I get time , a overview of the recoded BAA to the various configurations of cradles etc..

Bazpost-19557-0-76531500-1515444989_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have started building Cambrian BBAs using the excellent Stenson Models brass bogie inners. Kept putting this off in the hope that a RTR one would appear. First one completed. Have strengthened the body with aluminium rods which also add weight. post-18858-0-55111000-1515445314_thumb.jpegpost-18858-0-55111000-1515445314_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

If there is interest I will post all the Tops pools for the BAA wagons from 1988 which I still have (this covers every baa in the fleet as was) except the odd few ie ... The one FOA flask carrier as there was only one in 1988 (900115) and the structure flex covered wagon 900160

The paper-based coils are a vast improvement on some of the plastic ones, which look as though they're meant to be Swiss Rolls, made of 4" deck plate. The Signode banding adds the final touch.

I don't know if they exist any more, but the paper rolls from calculators with built-in printers were quite good for coils.

The paper-based coils are a vast improvement on some of the plastic ones, which look as though they're meant to be Swiss Rolls, made of 4" deck plate. The Signode banding adds the final touch.

I don't know if they exist any more, but the paper rolls from calculators with built-in printers were quite good for coils.

More coils made from thin card , as i require a fair few coils for our layout this is a cheap option  , very cheap as i get the thin card from work !

post-19557-0-03567500-1515521886_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...

I couldn't find any photos on Paul Bartlett's site showing examples with only three cradles. I did find one of 900140 with four cradles arranged for 'eye to side', though the most common set-up appeared to be five arranged for the coils to be loaded in 'gun-barrel' fashion . Stenson Models do alternative types of cradle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, branchie said:

Did BAAs and BBAs get mixed together in rakes? 

Yes, but it depended on the traffic. The trains from South Wales to the Midlands (Round Oak and Wolverhampton) often contained both types, often alongside other types when covered vehicles were used to protect Cold-Rolled Coil. The Teesside- Workington slab workings seemed to be almost always BBAs, whilst the coil workings from Lackenby to Corby  were BAAs.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Yes, but it depended on the traffic. The trains from South Wales to the Midlands (Round Oak and Wolverhampton) often contained both types, often alongside other types when covered vehicles were used to protect Cold-Rolled Coil. The Teesside- Workington slab workings seemed to be almost always BBAs, whilst the coil workings from Lackenby to Corby  were BAAs.

What about flows on the WCML? I'm assuming they were mixed as well?