Dapol announce Western in 'N' and 'OO' and 'N'gauge Hall class

Andy Y

Dapol continue to commit investment into new products and boost production for more items in faster timescales with the addition of a third production facility in China and a stated 'aggressive stance' towards production and supply.

Dapol had previously announced that they were to produce DP2 in 'OO' which has been followed by an announcement this week from Heljan stating that they too were going to produce this class of one with two liveries. Dapol are to temporarily withdraw from producing this, even though the CAD work was 80% completed, until they have seen the quality and standard of the competitor's product. A future decision may then be made whether to feed this product back into their production process.

In addition to these announcements Dapol are working behind the scenes on even more items to be announced later in theyear when they are ready for release.

'N' Gauge

'N' gauge Hall 4-6-0 locomotive

This model is on a ‘most wanted’ list of a lot of modellers and Dapol have decided to produce it to the standards set with the Britannia.

This means it will feature the following;

5-pole skew wound ‘Super Creep’ motor, DCC NEM651 socket, NEM coupler pockets, split frame tungsten locomotive chassis with phosphor bronze axle bushes, positive contact electrical pickups, darkened profile wheels, oily steel finish connecting rods, traction tyres on both back driving wheels, etched brass cab numbers and nameplates, tender water scoop, pin point bearing tender wheels, accessory bag with spare drive shaft and traction tyres.

Hallrvd.jpg

• ND-135a 6991 “Acton Burnell Hall” BR Lined Green late logo
  • ND-135b 6996 “Blackwell Hall” BR lined Green Early logo
  • ND-135c 6962 “Soughton Hall” GWR unlined green Shirtbutton
  • ND-135d 6969 “Wraysbury Hall” GWR lined green Great Western Crest

'N' gauge Western Diesel Hydraulic locomotive

Another most wanted, was a Western locomotive built to modern manufacturing standards.

4 models will be released this year and are as follows,

• ND-202aD1005 “Western Venturer” BR Blue with full yellow warning panel
  • ND-202bD1029 “Western Legionaire” BR Maroon with small yellow warningpanel
  • ND-202cD1038 “Western Sovereign” BR Green with small yellow warningpanels
  • ND-202dD1056 “Western Sultan” BR Maroon with full yellow warning panel

Featuring a ‘super Creep’ 5-pole skew wound motor, darkened profile wheels, partial low friction mechanism, twin flywheels, directional lighting, lit yellow glow head code panels, DCC Ready NEM651 socket on board, accessory bag, fully modelled cab interior, etched name and number plates, split frame tungsten chassis and NEM coupling box

Class 26

Also released this year will the class 26 which will be available in most versions, including variants of foot steps and fuel tanks etc.

class26.jpg

Class26-2rvd.jpg

• ND-145a 26015 BR Blue full yellow end
  • ND-145b D5301 BR Green small yellow warning panel
  • ND-145c 26038 Red stripe Railfreight Grey “Scottie dog” emblem
  • ND-145d 26008 Coal sector

Class 56

This model will first appear as a Romanian built version with noticeable differences from the later Crewe and Doncaster built versions.

• ND-203a 56019 Red stripe Railfreight Grey
  • ND-203b 56013 Triple Grey coal sector
  • ND-203c 56026 BR Blue
  • ND-203d 56018 EWS Maroon

Dapol will also be releasing 86637 in PowerHaul livery, 67018 in Canadian Red DBS livery, more Hymeks, 67’s and 66’s including the new Europorte Livery for the 66.

HSTbook sets in Grand Central, First Great Western (dynamic lines livery)

HST2rvd.jpg

HST1rvd.jpg

• NMT HST power car twin pack, Class 86 Network Rail twin pack
  • B17’s will appear as Middlesbrough and Everton
  • In rolling stock the Gresley coaches get a ‘light bar ready’ makeover, and will be released in carmine and cream ( single batch of 3 types) and teak, (2 batches of 4 types).
  • Collet coaches will be re-released with new running numbers in GWR livery
  • ICA, FEA-B, and Blue spot will be re-released with new running numbers
  • JNA and IOA wagons will appear in the 3rd quarter alongside MJA and HIA wagons in Freightliner ‘HeavyHaul’ livery
  • Dapol’s new pantographs will appear on the class 86 and be available throughour spares department online to purchase.

Panto1.JPG

Panto2.JPG

'OO' Gauge

'OO' Western Diesel Hydraulic

4 models will be released this year and are as follows:

• D1003a D1005 “Western Venturer” BR Blue with full yellow warning panel
  • D1003b D1029 “Western Legionnaire” BR Maroon with small yellow warning panel
  • D1003c D1038 “Western Sovereign” BR Green with small yellow warning panels
  • D1003d D1056 “Western Sultan” BR Maroon with full yellow warning panel

Featuring Dapol's new OO gauge 5-pole skew wound motor, darkened profile wheels, partial low friction mechanism, twin flywheels, directional lighting, lit yellow glow head code panels, DCC Ready 21-pin decoder socket onboard, accessory bag, fully modelled cab interior, etched name and number plates, interior cab lighting, DCC sound speaker space within fuel tank, etched brass roof grilles with moulded fans beneath and NEM coupling box.

Class 21 / 29

Theclass 21/29 has already been announced and now Dapol announce the liveries and running numbers for the first batch (although subject to change)

Class 21

• D1001a D6112 BR Green no yellow warning panel
  • D1001b D6134 BR Green no yellow warning panel
  • D1001c D6150 BR Green no yellow warning panel

Class 29

• D1002a D6130 BR Green full yellow warning panel
  • D1002b D6114 BR Green small yellow warning panel
  • D1002c D6100 BR Blue full yellow warning panel

Specification is as per the class 22

Wagons include:

• MJA bogie twins (Freightiner HeavyHaul)
  • HIA bogie hopper (Freighliner Heavyhaul)
  • Previously announced MRA sets, Turbot, MLA and BBA

MRA.jpg

MRA1.jpg

• Megafrets will be re-released complete with Stobart/LessCo2 containers
  • KTA’s will be re-released with 40ft high cube containers

Please note these items and codes are correct at the time of going to press,and may be subject to alteration. E&OE

BUMP, this information should have been released at midday but I've been advised it's already published on Dapol's website so it would be daft to think I could keep a lid on it until then.

• RMweb Premium

A new Western in 00 will be very welcome as long as it lives up to its promise. :yahoo_mini: We are still patiently awaiting the long-overdue class 22 (not through any fault of Dapol) to see the new standard and power train so hopefully all will be well and those types following will be as good as the 22 should be.

I'm not an N-gauge person but the catalogue does seem to expand the horizons of RtR miniscule trains quite significantly so well done Dapol. And this alongside the regular procession of commissions of which there seems to be no end.

• RMweb Premium

That hall looks great, however doing a quick bit of research tells me that all the numbers announced are those of 'modified halls' but I don't know the difference between them and the normal halls so can someone confirm if the model is of an original hall or a modified hall?

Cheers, Richard

Well I wasn't expecting a Western at all, my mental wishlist had settled on a D8xx Warship! Brilliant news that will please no end of people I'm sure. It'll be interesting to see how Dave and team handle the lower skirts and bogie brake gear, I wish them all the best with this one and look forward to seeing the finished article in both scales. The news that they have had assistance from JLTRT certainly gives me confidence in the way the model will look from all the right angles.

Two things now spring to mind...

1) where the 'eck did I put my stash of Western etched nameplates?!!

and

2) which manufacture will be the first to release a ready-to-plonk model of Laira Depot in either scale...?

Nidge (well chuffed!)

Thanks Andy :D

The Hall will keep the Green Wet n' Rusty folks happy. It seems the wall is in place, Dapol have GWR/LNER vs Farish LMS/BR steam, each with the respective coaches to pull.

Can only hope Farish shrink the S&DJR 7F :rolleyes:

The N Gauge Hall is a great choice of loco and it is about time the ancient Farish one was finally put out to grass.

Much as I have been critical of a number of dimensional and detail aspects of the Dapol B1, I have to say that the EP of the "Hall" looks absolutely spot on to me - very nice indeed.

Far less "clunky" looking too and Dapol even seem to have produced finer looking driving wheels this time.

My only observation again is the use of the crosshead screws to hold the rods on. While I appreciate that this has been done to aid removal to change traction-tyres, if Dave Jones reads this thread (Which I am sure he will) could I repeat my suggestion that if you could include a little box-spanner amongst the accessories, much neater looking hex-bolts could be used instead.

Most N modellers will find an excuse to buy one of these. Well done Dapol.

Roy

Nice :) The Western in both 00 is quite telling - Dapol are willing to go head to head with Heljan if they think they've got a better product (which ties in with the DP2 hiatus...).

Hall class in N :) Sample is looking great, so can we get some more GWR 4-6-0's to follow this up please? (Castle and King in particular).

I was woried that my card would melt aswell but it wont be to bad only things i want are the powerhaul 86, and the NMT power twin pack.

Bit surprised with the westerns chosen though, I would have thought D1015 'Champion' would have come first as it can be used since introduction to present day. But if it keeps my card in my pocket for a while longer great.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

For the Westerns an interesting mix of prototypes.D1029 was built without headboard clips (several lost them during their careers due to accidents, D1025-9 were built without)D1056 had a square ventilation panel on each cab. Other Westerns had these, D1012, D1039, D1028 and D1071. The version modelled by Dapol shouldn't have the vent as it was fitted when painted blue 6/4/71.Will follow progress with interest.Neil

That hall looks great, however doing a quick bit of research tells me that all the numbers announced are those of 'modified halls' but I don't know the difference between them and the normal halls so can someone confirm if the model is of an original hall or a modified hall?

Cheers, Richard

The Hall shown above looks to me like the original 49xx type, I'm sure the later 6959 'Modified' series had extended frames below the smokebox door, as well as longer outside steam pipes, set at a different angle.

Nidge

I'm sure the Hall, 26, 56 and Western will be very popular, but just my luck - the only outstanding 'magnificent 7' model NOT announced for release this year is the one I want - the Pendolino! From my perspective, the list for 2011 isn't terribly exciting - already knew about the 86 in NR, and the HST as the NMT, both on my shopping list, but at least there's still the 142 due out at some point.

I had been hoping for a dummy 86, as they only ever haul freightliners in pairs - one in 'standard' FL livery, the other in the old RF grey with red freightliner logo would have been a nice set.

Oh well, Ring Road will have to remain Pendo-less for another year!

Looking forward to whatever 'secret' releases Dapol have planned for later in the year

David

The Hall shown above looks to me like the original 49xx type, I'm sure the later 6959 'Modified' series had extended frames below the smokebox door, as well as longer outside steam pipes, set at a different angle.

Correct - also the smokebox saddle was different on the modified halls so thats the numbers/names that need altering as well as getting rid of the, to quote Model Rail on the Britannia, toy-like chassis due chiefly to the crosshead screws.

• RMweb Premium

Correct - also the smokebox saddle was different on the modified halls so thats the numbers/names that need altering as well as getting rid of the, to quote Model Rail on the Britannia, toy-like chassis due chiefly to the crosshead screws.

That's going to mess things up then as osborn's have commissioned 6960, which is a modified hall

You beat me to it BH but thanks for the confirmation. I've just checked via Ian Allans 'Working Steam' book on the Halls. Another difference between the two types is the vertical support bracket under the boiler shown in Andy's photo above, it's not present on the later Modified Halls.

I dare say Dave will see this eventually.... if so Dave, are you aware of the mistake...?

(whichever way you go with this, it looks great!)

Nidge ;)

An excellent selection in N gauge there, thank you Dapol. Westerns and Halls of various flavours have been a big part of the SVR scene over the years, so one of each would look fantastic on my Victoria Bridge layout. Agree with Alistair over Western Champion, as it could fit in running in the sixties next to a Hall, or in a much more recent scene with some dirty silver bullets in tow, trundling past a FGW HST. Maybe an idea for a book set!

(OK, only one truck is a true 'bullet', but as an excuse for a modern image 'Freight Western', it does the trick for me!)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=288727

• RMweb Gold

Some very nice additions that will feed my need for stock for Hemerdon Bank, plus a 26 which whilst totally out of location will just have to haul a few blue coaches.

The Hall is an interesting addition and looking at the detail is a bar raiser given the current Farish model.

Archived