The Titfield Thunderbolt, background details...

Rugd1022

On 23/01/2011 at 13:03, The Stationmaster said:

The traincrew for the filming were Westbury men. I don't know who the Driver was but the Fireman was 'Moocher' Green - who later became a Driver at Westbury - and is fairly clearly visible in one of the shots of 'Lion' working the Inspector's train, albeit he's dressed up to look like the Bishop.

Way back, in Steam World - probably 1990s, I interviewed the driver who brought Lion from Westbury every day. Afraid to say I can't remember his name but Simon Carstens knows who it was and has noted it elsewhere on RMweb on one of the many threads relating to this movie. The digitally enhanced version now available on Prime is well worth a look. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dibber25 said:

Way back, in Steam World - probably 1990s, I interviewed the driver who brought Lion from Westbury every day. Afraid to say I can't remember his name but Simon Carstens knows who it was and has noted it elsewhere on RMweb on one of the many threads relating to this movie. The digitally enhanced version now available on Prime is well worth a look. (CJL)

Chris, take a look at your post on the previous page.

Edited by Pannier Tank
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Yes, old age - memory isn't what it was. (CJL)

But hang on, "the previous page" was nearly eight years ago!!!

I think you're doing great Chris.

Today I managed to lose a drill bit, completely forget who a customer was, be mystified by a credit card receipt I had printed off and leave my reading glasses and best cordless drill at my sister's place (I think) - and the day isn't over completely yet...

Relph BTM.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2011 at 09:42, Tim Hale said:

Hi,

Everyone viewing the Thunderbolt takes a different memory away with them, my 'moment' was the realisation that the opening shot featured a light Pacific with a cut-down tender and must have been one of the very first as the film was shot in '52 and released in '53 (source BFI archive)

DesA.

Interesting that the first outtake shot of the Bullied pacific crossing the viaduct the loco has an original tender, in the second take the loco has the cut down tender.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, figworthy said:

A Titfield related question if I may.

Does anyone know what the vehicle is that the police are using for transporting the prisoners ?

Adrian

Its a Ford WO1 ex army with a post war Black Maria body.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/12/2021 at 11:41, faulcon1 said:

Here's another video of the filming of the movie

Monkton Combe 'on the Welsh border?' They moved a whole village to make a movie? (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2022 at 01:06, dibber25 said:

Monkton Combe 'on the Welsh border?' They moved a whole village to make a movie? (CJL)

Well perhaps the script writer of the video was London based and had never been out of London or heard of Monkton Combe and therefore thought nobody else had either. I've also heard it said that Combe is Devonian for valley. Naturally the narrator just reads what the script says and doesn't question it because if he does, then another narrator can be found.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1