Just to take the "what if" a stage further, what if the BTC had accepted Brush's tender submitted in 1960 as part of the tender exercise for the Standard Type 4s that was a Brush built loco fitted with what proved to be a Class 50 engine. The Brush outline drawing which I have seen suggests the loco would have been "Falcon" like but with a Class 50 style bodyside grille.

Taking that idea and replace the EE lump with a Ruston-Paxman lump (which are similar in so many ways) That would make a class 56.

• 10 years later...
19 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

DP2 Vulcan Foundry October 1st 1967 by Geoff Taylor

Vulcan Foundry, DP2 for Scrap, October 1st 1967. Photo Geoff Taylor.

Vulcan Foundry, DP2 returns to works, August 1967. Photo Eddie Bellass.

Camden 1962 by Polyrus

The Deltic bodied DP2

First photo I have seen of DP2 back at Vulcan Foundry. It was definitely beyond repair even if it wasn't non standard.

If they had built 50 x DP2s rather than class 50s, I would have been a big fan, the deltic bodyshell was a much nicer looking loco in my opinion.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, 37114 said:

First photo I have seen of DP2 back at Vulcan Foundry. It was definitely beyond repair even if it wasn't non standard.

If they had built 50 x DP2s rather than class 50s, I would have been a big fan, the deltic bodyshell was a much nicer looking loco in my opinion.

I'm sure iv read that EE took it back to Vulcan as they thought it may be repairable, obviously it wasn't. 50 DP2's would have been perfect for BR if they didn't include the electric gizmos that went into the 50's.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Picture the Deltic bodied DP2s in Network SouthEast livery! Urgh!

• RMweb Premium

From what I've read, even if the cl.50 was just a production DP2 (i.e. without all of the gadgetry), it had been decreed by BR that it would have the flat-fronted cab.

• Agree 2

On 16/07/2021 at 19:16, montyburns56 said:

DP2 Vulcan Foundry October 1st 1967 by Geoff Taylor

Vulcan Foundry, DP2 for Scrap, October 1st 1967. Photo Geoff Taylor.

Vulcan Foundry, DP2 returns to works, August 1967. Photo Eddie Bellass.

Camden 1962 by Polyrus

The Deltic bodied DP2

Pretty sure I saw it back to Vulcan, coming through Saddleworth. I remember the tarpaulin.

47 minutes ago, JeffP said:

In the second photo posted by montyburns 56 it looks like a third bogie sheeted over on the well wagon?

Probably the damaged leading bogie of the locomotive, with the actual locomotive on a class 37 or 55 spare bogie for transit otherwise it wouldn't have been able to be moved by rail.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2