Industrial locomotives in the late 80s to mid 90s

.......passing a trainload of proper minis (as opposed to the BMW effort - eugh!) at Rover's Longbridge plant 8 years later.

attachicon.gifHE8805@Rover_Longbridge1996.jpg

I wonder what was the purpose of the small pony-engine which had been added (since the Templeborough days) under the auxilliary-bonnet on her starboard side?.........Generator or compressor for brakes/starting?

I claim no rights to the image above: image copyright credited to the owner.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Probably for air braking - think I can see an air hose on the bufferbeam.

I would agree that it's a compressor. Original pics of these locos at Templeborough show it without the cabinet or air pipes. There used to be a very small box located further toward the bonnet, but removed when the air compressor was fitted. They also used to have roller shutter doors instead of lift out side panels and the distinctive Templeborough all over wasp stripes (must get on and build my Edge kit.................)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Mine is presently in process! :thankyou: ........I do like the waspie-stripe paint scheme; but doubt if I might be able to pull it off with sufficient neatness.

You need to get familiar with Fox wasp stripes and Microsol................... :paint:

Cheers,

Mick

Mine is presently in process! :thankyou: ........I do like the waspie-stripe paint scheme; but doubt if I might be able to pull it off with sufficient neatness.

C'mon now Debs, we'll have none of that defeatist talk around here.

post-6861-0-70480600-1377647351.jpg

• Like 12

As far as I am aware the cabinets do contain a diesel hydrovane compressor for the train air brakes required when the Hunslets were at Longbridge, it's quite a standard modification as a quick fit to industrial loco where they compressors are only sized to do loco brakes and control systems and not capable or charging train air brake systems within a reasonable amount of time. I know Wilmott brothers did the same to an 0-6-0 Yorkshire that they had on hire at the Austin.

The new Sainsbury's opened today on what was the old power hose and north works at the Austin, it was not so long ago that traffic was coming in and out of the factory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was something magical about Longbridge, an amazing place, so antiquated and with the MR box in the middle. I hope you don't mind, my Longbridge photos are http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bllongbridge and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/longbridgewagons

Chris Leigh discovered Longbridge during the 1960s and wrote about it at least once - "Longbridge in the 1960s - A prototype worth modelling" in Model Railway Constructor Annual 1986 p 16 - 23.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder what was the purpose of the small pony-engine which had been added (since the Templeborough days) under the auxilliary-bonnet on her starboard side?.........Generator or compressor for brakes/starting?

attachicon.gif7003 Hunslet 0-6-0DH Rachael.jpg

As I dig ever deeper into the wonderful world of things 'industrial' all sorts of questions arise...

...such as, what's the difference between a pony-engine and a donkey-engine (apart obviously from breeding)?

David

Edited by David Siddall

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I added to this topic but I've found a few more. None of them are particularly good or interesting photos but I'll add them anyway and hope I haven't already posted them.

Hunlset 0-4-0DH 7425 at Blue Circle Cement's Dewsbury rail terminal. The loco wasn't used here but was owned by RMS Locotec, a loco hire and repair company, who had workshops on the site. Loccotec later moved to Calder Vale Road in Wakefield. I don't know if they're still a going concern or where they're located if they are. The Hunslet was from Steetley Magnesite in Hartlepool.

post-494-0-39531500-1394569346.jpg

PBA40 (RR10219) seen at Thomas Hill's Kilnhurst works in April 88. This loco still carried the livery and number of its original owner - the Port of Bristol Authority.

post-494-0-58488600-1394569621.jpg

HC D1340 at Booth's Rotherham yard, Feb. 88. I can't remember where this one came from but may have been from the same place as the little Thomas Hill loco parked next to it - Stella North power station.

post-494-0-10568400-1394569746.jpg

HC D1341 is somewhat better known than it's sister in the pic above. Named 'Sprite', this loco was (perhaps still is?) the works shunter at Brush Traction in Loughborough. Seen here in May 96.

post-494-0-30464500-1394570026.jpg

• Like 9

None of them are particularly good or interesting photos but I'll add them anyway and hope I haven't already posted them.

PBA40 (RR10219) seen at Thomas Hill's Kilnhurst works in April 88. This loco still carried the livery and number of its original owner - the Port of Bristol Authority.

attachicon.gifRR10219-0488.jpg

Whilst they may not be great from a technical photographers point of view, I think they are very interesting.  The second one (Kilnhurst) in particular just screams 'micro-layout'!!!