NCE Upgrade

This is just an advance notification for users of NCE PowerCab and PowerPro systems that an EPROM upgrade will be available for each of these systems, due next month. I don't have the precise details to hand at the moment but will post these when available.

What is important is that users have registered with NCE as they will then get the offer of an upgrade at a discounted price. The upgrade will be installed by the user, using instructions provided with the upgrade.

Recent purchasers of PowerCab systems will have been provided with a manual for the upgraded system (it will have Rev 1.65 on the front of the manual) and a yellow card offering them a FREE upgrade. If you have such a card you therefore qualify for this offer, so please make sure the yellow card is returned to NCE or you may miss out on this.

I do know that the upgraded PowerCab EPROM will provide a recall stack of 6 instead of the current limit of 2, something users have been asking for.

Hi John et al,

I bought my powercab second hand through the classifieds here on RMweb,

How do I go about getting the upgrade?

I tried to get onto the NCEDCC website but this appears to be down at the moment.

Your help, guidance, advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian

This is just an advance notification for users of NCE PowerCab and PowerPro systems that an EPROM upgrade will be available for each of these systems, due next month. I don't have the precise details to hand at the moment but will post these when available.

According to an Australian agent for NCE products the new EPROM is only for PowerCab and not PowerPro can you confirm this?

According to an Australian agent for NCE products the new EPROM is only for PowerCab and not PowerPro can you confirm this?

No - the information I provided is correct. In fact the PowerPro upgrade is due first, on or around 10 Feb.

Two more snippets of information with regard to the upgrades:

(1) The PowerCab will now support 3 cabs, which means that if you already have 2 hand-held cabs you can add a USB or MiniPanel, or you could just add a USB and a Minipanel as the 2nd and 3rd throttles. I also assume that you could use the Cab 4e or Cab 5 now, as those both have 2 cab positions, using the switch on the top of the throttles.

(2) The PowerPro will have a new function (which the PowerCab already has) called Select Loco Refresh, which means that locos called back into the stack won't just stop but will keep on doing whatever they were doing (sound, lights, movement, etc.) until the user changes an instruction.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a really worthwhile upgrade. Do NCE keep registrations on file? - I have a Powercab which is getting pretty long in the tooth now. It is a veteran of the first upgrade which I received with no problems. I jut wondered if I would have to be proactive in this, ie as it's quite an old PCab now will I be contacted or will I have to contact NCE for upgrade details?

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I E-mailed NCE and they mailed back that if you have registered (I registered in 2001) It will still be on their data base,and they will get in touch when the upgrade is released.

MickD

I found the website was back up his morning. I left my details via the contact page and when I got home from work there was an e-mail from Larry, I replied at 4pm and got another e-mail congratulating me on my purchase albeit second hand and that they would be in touch when the update was ready.

Ian

Do we know how the upgrade to the Powercab will work please? Do they send you a new chip or do you have to ship the handset back to the States?

Thanks,

Dave

under bromsgrove models first post:

The upgrade will be installed by the user, using instructions provided with the upgrade.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Danemouth,

The upgrade is an chip that fits in the handset,you have to fit it yourself or get some one to do it for you.The last upgrade was supplied by Bromsmods.It is only a matter of removing the rear of the handset & swopping the plug in E-Prom.

MickD.

Archived