NCE Upgrade

For NCE's primary intended target demographic for their PowerCab, in my view the 6 loco recall support upgrade, whilst undeniably welcome, is more importantly a pre-purchase hypothetical selling point than a feature one which will be used on the typical purchaser's first layout. By the time a PowerCab user has progressed to a layout with the accommodation and sophistication for a single user on a single controller to comfortably manage more than two or three locos running simultaneously, ordinarily by then he'll also have upgraded to a more comprehensive controller setup, albeit including at the very least the addition of a booster in the case of NCE, or perhaps even chosen a different brand control system altogether - perish the thought.

I say this as a PowerCab and ProCab owner and user, and will tell you why I believe it to be so.

I multi-task pretty well, the seeming self-accolade actually being from others observed in a check system in an intensive dynamic high workload multi-tasking 'take no prisoners' you either 'pass or fail' environment. A fail means a recheck, with a subsequent fail reward an non-negotiable offer to leave. But I digress. On my first static layout of a double continuous oval plus points, shunting sidings and fiddle yard on a 12X4 flat-top in what I think world be variation of the most common average home layout size and orientation of the typical PowerCab buyer (?), I've found that for a single user using a PowerCab, trying to manage more than three locomotives simultaneously is a bore of chore rather than the fun MR is supposed to be. The Achilles' Heel rather than being the imagined current lack of sufficient loco recalls in memory of more than two, is in reality simply intensity of workload, tending to load-shedding unless 100% focussed 100% of the time. I find two locos comfortable and very enjoyable, with a third perhaps simultaneously providing interest though action in display orientated automated fashion on a siding somewhere using the benefit of the likes of Hornby's Sapphire's pre-programmable start-stop-reverse direction start stop-repeat mode capability. All in all a nice balance. Once one factors in a third train controlled by a single person on such a sized layout, things start getting hectic, which in my view has little to do with a third recall being available or not. Since having deployed NCE's PowerHouse 5A base CSB so I have six recalls on either controller in ProCab deployment mode, the real limitation to the number of locos a single operator of ordinary ability - which is where I place myself - can enjoyably and successfully manage simultaneously on any layout is a more a function/restriction of its size and orientation, not the two loco recall stack of the PowerCab in the early home layout environment in which you would normally find it deployed. Appreciating as ever, OMMV.

I do think however, that marketing wise its a very clever move from NCE, and will prove to be the enticing icing on an already delicious cake.

Biggles,

Whilst I agree in principle with your comments about the inability of an operator to run more than three locos simultaneously, most would I am sure like also to have a number of locos simmering or ticking over whilst they stand still. Thus, I like the stack of six available on my ProCab since, when I want them to move off, I can do so without having them switch off when reselected. Mind you, it only works if you have remembered to put them into recall first.

Harold.

I agree with Harold, particularly for exhibition use where it would be handy to have the six recall stack available. I am quite used to having six on the Power Pro setup at home but tend to forget myself at exhibitions when using the Power Cab setup and only having two slots available.

Hi Harold

I take on board the validity of your point. Perhaps the primary point I was trying to make I lost in elaboration? i.e. By the time a user gets to being desirous of kind of situ you and SR mention, in most cases they'll have moved on from a Powercab being their primary system. e.g. Specific cases in point being yourself, SRman & myself.

In any case, with the announced increase in PowerCab's recall stack welcome by all, such considerations will be moot shortly, the restricting limitation transferring from recall stack to power available from the 1.35A PSU in the case of a Powercab's supplied wall wart.

On another pertinent tack, following up in anticipation of the imminent firmware update release notifications, I tried to phone NCE in NY today to confirm receipt of my snail mailed registrations neither of which's receipt has ever been acknowledged by so much as an email. No joy with the intl+cc+585 265 0230 number for NCE CS listed on their website. Confirmed the attempt fell within UTC-5 adjusted 0900-1600 local working window for CS prior to calling. Anyone know of an alternative phone contact for NCE NY which answers?

Cheers,

Keiron

Hi Harold

I take on board the validity of your point. Perhaps the primary point I was trying to make I lost in elaboration? i.e. By the time a user gets to being desirous of kind of situ you and SR mention, in most cases they'll have moved on from a Powercab being their primary system. e.g. Specific cases in point being yourself, SRman & myself.

In any case, with the announced increase in PowerCab's recall stack welcome by all, such considerations will be moot shortly, the restricting limitation transferring from recall stack to power available from the 1.35A PSU in the case of a Powercab's supplied wall wart.

On another pertinent tack, following up in anticipation of the imminent firmware update release notifications, I tried to phone NCE in NY today to confirm receipt of my snail mailed registrations neither of which's receipt has ever been acknowledged by so much as an email. No joy with the intl+cc+585 265 0230 number for NCE CS listed on their website. Confirmed the attempt fell within UTC-5 adjusted 0900-1600 local working window for CS prior to calling. Anyone know of an alternative phone contact for NCE NY which answers?

Cheers,

Keiron

Ah :scratchhead: , i think keiron means in short..... that by the time larry releases the new 6 stack, newer more cheaper systems will be available with more recall memory

i think??

Mark.

Posted Today, 09:05

I tried to phone NCE in NY today

No joy with the intl+cc+585 265 0230 number for NCE CS listed on their website. Confirmed the attempt fell within UTC-5 adjusted 0900-1600 local working window for CS prior to calling.

Where are you located Keiron, the UK or elsewhere ?

If the UK, then surely you meant to say that you tried to phone yesterday?

I don't doubt your maths and forgive me for asking, but just to be sure, did you correct for EST (UTC-5) correctly ?

Stranger things have happened and all that... :scratchhead:

If you are in the UK, then the opening hours are 1400 - 2100 UK time (currently on UTC),

Have you tried email via the website ?

...or directly to the published email address - support@ncecorporation.com

Their old email address was - jscorse@aol.com

Sorry, I'm not sure if that's any help ?

Yeah ... he's one of us!!! ;)

It should be pointed out that if the Power Cab does gain up to six recall slots, it will be like the Power Pro, with the user able to choose the number of active recall slots. With the Power Pro, currently you may have anything from two to six active recall slots, so for the Power Cab as well, it will be up to the user to set the actual number that suits them.

Hi Ron

Great Southern Land on the side Captain Cook bumped into with his barge = K(ilo) time = UTC/GMT+10 uncorrected for AEDST. NY is UTC-5, on the other side of the date line to us. This running on my desktop takes all the pain away, although the 'Captain Crosscheck' in me always reaffirms with simple DR.

Have you tried email via the website ?

Yes. Twice, or it may have been thrice over the past 18 months. No response to either enquiry submitted via their website's HTML enquiry form accessible from the CC tab.

...or directly to the published email address http://support@ncecorporation.com

Not yet as best I recall. "Guilty" ...of being slack Your Honour. :blind: Following up on the initial lack of any response wasn't a priority as I didn't actually need any support as such. Rather I was simply trying to confirm receipt of warranty cards. I figured a phone call now was simply faster, easier and surer given the lack-lustre response thus far to enquiry via the website and to avoid confusion over whether the enquiry was about my Powercab or PowerHouse Pro R system. I will though, and see if it evokes the desired result. I did find an alternative phone number for NCE DCC, but it was also associated with a different physical address than that annotated on their CC page. Got tied up then with demands from SWMBO, so I thought it best to leave of until I had a chance to determine it wasn't the home number of Mr. Scorse.

Thanks for the intended assistance Ron. Most kind. Appreciated.

Cheers,

Keiron

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I agree in principle with your comments about the inability of an operator to run more than three locos simultaneously, most would I am sure like also to have a number of locos simmering or ticking over whilst they stand still. Thus, I like the stack of six available on my ProCab since, when I want them to move off, I can do so without having them switch off when reselected.

That was put right with an upgrade over 3 years ago ( v1.28b / 10/07/09 ) but it is not the default setting & has to be enabled.

To do so:

Press ESC on the throttle until SET COMMAND STATION appears on the screen.

Press ENTER to accept settings for each option.

SELECT LOCO REFRESH is the option you are looking for. Choose 0.

That was put right with an upgrade over 3 years ago ( v1.28b / 10/07/09 ) but it is not the default setting & has to be enabled.

To do so:

Press ESC on the throttle until SET COMMAND STATION appears on the screen.

Press ENTER to accept settings for each option.

SELECT LOCO REFRESH is the option you are looking for. Choose 0.

Thank you for that. I will look at it tomorrow and see if I am missing some thing.

Pete,

Today I did as you recommended to both my PowerCab and ProCab (they happened to be set differently). As you suggested, I was able to set eight locos simmering while I ran another and was then able to re-select any one of the eight without the lights and/or sound stopping. However, as soon as the loco was asked to move or change direction, all functions switched off. Actually that is quite logical because, when a loco is re-selected, the display indicates that the functions are off so switching them on again immediately after re-selecting is the thing to do.

Many thanks,

Harold.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:scratchhead: :dontknow: :whistle: :banghead:

Almost as long a wait for our class 22.

Serious question now............do you think NCE have given up on this project and are developing the next evolution in Powercabs?

I ask because once upon a time it was 'next month' now its that next month + gawd knows how many more and still nothing.

Like a lot of you out there i'm still waiting, but some thoughts from NCE one way or another would be nice.

Cheers

Dave

Hmmm. Trouble with the site update is that opening these threads takes you to beginning and not last unread post... just read this, opened powercab box up... found yellow card and was about to see about an envelope and postage and then realised that what I was reading was old news... probably should register tbh.... but the urgency seems to have evaporated.

:scratchhead: :dontknow: :whistle: :banghead:

Almost as long a wait for our class 22.

Serious question now............do you think NCE have given up on this project and are developing the next evolution in Powercabs?

I ask because once upon a time it was 'next month' now its that next month + gawd knows how many more and still nothing.

Like a lot of you out there i'm still waiting, but some thoughts from NCE one way or another would be nice.

Cheers

Dave

I e-mailed Larry at NCE and got the following reply "Cab06 is done. He is working on the Power Cab update now and should be done soon."

Hope this answers some of the questions and I hope I'm not in trouble with the guys at NCE!

Best regards,

Ian Carlton

The topic of the PowerCab upgrade erupts every month it seems on the NCC-DCC Yahoo Group forum. The guru's who NCE relies on for product advice and testing are on that forum. Their consensus is that you just have to wait. The Cab06 was needed for the big layout operators.

Personally I upgraded after 3 years with a PowerCab to an SB3 then SB3a and found it makes the NCE system that much better. I currently operate what would be called a 2 foot by 12 foot shunting plank. I have grandiose plans to expand so that trains can actulally leave the station area and have purchased the necessary PCP's for a larger layout configuration using existing technology. But I have no plans to upgrade to the PowerPro level. Maybe I will think about that when it is USB equipped and a dedicated device comes along that can connect to a WiFi router so that I can use a PDA or similar device (Android preferred rather than evil Apple) for untethered control.

I am concerned that NCE is so small an organization that is supporting two major product lines (PowerCab and PowerPro-my SB3s falls in the middle) and a host of peripheral devices that it will not be able make greater leaps forward in the near future. They are heavily invested in radio throttles that cannot be used in the UK or Europe (the radio frequency certification is recognized only in the US, Canada and Austrailia.) They need a leap beyond into wireless that does not rely on Decoder Pro software to a Wi-Fi or other wireless throttle solution.

best

Archived