Bachmann Flush Front 37's (non-Ltd Editions)

0O00

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't bother? The Bachmann plough is an abomination. Check the history in Google as to whether either of them ever wore ploughs too. When it is correct to fit ploughs we either go brass PJH or Heljan. This means no tension lock. Then again real locos have screw links. Cannot quickly find a photo of the metals loco wearing ploughs?

I also use use Heljan 'ploughs on Bachmann 37's but I make a cradle to hold them that also works as a loop to couple with tension lock couplings. Hope the photos show how it fits. The wire I used is the soft armouring found on electric cables but any wire around 0.8/1.0mm works OK. I have a nasty 1st radius curve on my layout but with a bit of care the modified 37s will still work with standard Bachmann mrk 1's & mrk 2's.

post-5311-0-91692000-1324237680_thumb.jpgpost-5311-0-71562800-1324237614_thumb.jpgpost-5311-0-35170900-1324237722_thumb.jpg

Very effective! The Heljan ploughs do look slightly better than the Bachmann ploughs, although I do not that the new style 'one piece' Bachmann plough is overall better looking than the original.

The problem is that the original was a decent compromise if you wanted a chunking great tension lock and still have your outer ploughs.

Well, it will have to wait, as Howes seem to be out of 47 ploughs at the moment.

Very effective! The Heljan ploughs do look slightly better than the Bachmann ploughs, although I do not that the new style 'one piece' Bachmann plough is overall better looking than the original.

The problem is that the original was a decent compromise if you wanted a chunking great tension lock and still have your outer ploughs.

Well, it will have to wait, as Howes seem to be out of 47 ploughs at the moment.

If you want a set of the older style Bachmann Ploughs (which can still be fitted to newer models) then drop me a PM. As others have said they arn't very accurate but do enable the above.

Cheers,

Bruce

Yes it does. They can be switched off via a switch under the loco

Thanks deltic, I found those and they're on, but they're not responding to any of the Dynamis 20 function buttons! The MR DRS 37 sound special responds to F8 so I think a call to Adam at Rails is in order tomorrow!

Martin

What's your assembly problem?

Martin

I wasn't going to say as I don't want people 'dreading' 25 Dec. But, on the assumption its a one off, here goes:

With a relatively heavy workload, I have not had the time or patience to investigate properly, and will not be attempting a repair, this one will be go back, on the assumption its not batch wide... The problem is the fault doesn't make simple mechanical sense...

Looking at the loco head on, the body seems to be higher on the LHS than RHS, but about 1mm (yes I have measured it!). This also means that the gap 'twix body and bogie is about 1mm larger than it should be on one side. Head on the thing looks lopsided. It is NOT the buffer beams (although one is not quite located properly and is pushed down slightly).

Now, this is where it gets intersting. One would have thought that looking at the other end of the loco, the RHS would be higher than LHS (based on the assumption that one complete side of the loco is higher). This is not the case, instead the LHS is just under 1mm higher than RHS. Very very odd, and suggests that either the chassis or body moulding is slightly twisted.

Looking at the loco side on, the bottom edge of the body is 1mm higher at one end than the other, so things all tally up, but this is not noticable. 1mm over 250mm = invisible. 1mm over 30mm....

Before anyone accuses me of being over-fussy, try tilting your locos by 1mm, and then stare head on. Very noticable and a scale 2-3 inches height difference.

G-BOAF - try loosening off all the screws that hold the body-shell to the chassis and then re-adjust the body-shell so it sits 'square' on the chassis. When adjusted, tighten up the screws a little at a time.

I first noted on the early Bachmann 37's that, if the 'nose end screws' were over tightened, it could induce a 'bow' in the plastic frame attached the metals chassis block.

Hope this helps.

I don't particularly want to play around with it. Also notice that the fuel tanks are not flat, but have a bow in them (or rather they bottom edge forms a shallow 'V', and also some of the plastic sub-frame just nosewards of the tanks is proud of the body bottom - it can be pushed flush, but the 'pops' out again. Me thinks a major strip-down would be in order, which I'm not prepared to do it this time (see my A2 dismantling - I can do it when I want to!)

• 2 weeks later...

Although not quite in keeping with the most recent posts can anyone confirm or deny their models of 37514 came with a set of etched metal BR arrows and Thornaby depot plaques. Seem to recall reading in Model Rail Express that they did have them but purchased 2 online last week and on arrival neither model has them inside the box.

Although not quite in keeping with the most recent posts can anyone confirm or deny their models of 37514 came with a set of etched metal BR arrows and Thornaby depot plaques. Seem to recall reading in Model Rail Express that they did have them but purchased 2 online last week and on arrival neither model has them inside the box.

Mine didn't. BUT this doesn't mean they don't! I recall Evening Star being somewhat 'hit and miss' as regards supply of nameplates....! So, anyone actually got a model with etched arrows and plaques?

Mine didn't. BUT this doesn't mean they don't! I recall Evening Star being somewhat 'hit and miss' as regards supply of nameplates....! So, anyone actually got a model with etched arrows and plaques?

Mine hasn't either, just had a rummage in the box and there's nothing except the accessory bag. Probably have to get them from Shawplan at the Warwick show on the 21st. Tony.

Just to confirm, none with mine too.

Also ref my post above, the cab lights should be working so awaiting news from Adam once he's talked to SWD. Guess it'll be going back to get this fixed.

Martin

Update. My 37/5 has been returned. The body was, quite litterally twisted. As a replacement, I tried 37406, older batch, same problem, just only affecting one end, so not as bad, but still there.

In contrast my Large Logo 37 (new 6-axle drive, opening doors etc) is fine, so its not a tooling problem.

Have I just been unlucky, or is there an issue with 'grey painted' class 37s in general?

The examples in MZ Holborn the other day seemed to have the same problem, but there is only so much one can see through a glass case!

While on the subject of doors, Bachmann seem to have abandoned opening doors on the refurb class 37s now. Post 37415 they don't have this feature.

Archived