Schiller Point, Soo Line

F-UnitMad

Dear Jordan,

A few questions if I may:

1 - are you running some form of traverser/sectorplate/cassette system behind 'the curtain"?

2 - is the "mainline" train at far right going to be shuttling or animated in any way?

3 - what are the actual dimensions of the layout, inc both "scenic" and "offstage" areas?

A disturbing idea is on the boil as we speak...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Answers...

1 - No, the two lines (which are at different heights) just run into the hidden area. Stuff will be swapped by hand; slow, yes, but the pace isn't meant to be frantic anyway...

2 - Yes, I have some movements planned for this; the Switcher can shuttle with some cars as if switching a longer train beyond the bridge, and these cars can be changed; cars can be pushed into the scene as if being switched from the other end; the Switcher can drop a Caboose, then some cars can be pushed to it (by hand); Road Engines can arrive with a car or two, which can then be drawn back as if by the Switcher, etc etc... The new Atlas caboose has a red flashing light on it (not prototypical for the Soo, but hey...), I can have that at the end of some cars and with power applied ( Spurs & Mainline are fed seperately) it can sit there for a while just flashing away, if you'll excuse the term...

yes, a fair bit of variation and movement.

3 - Dimensions:- The Scenic board is 4ft deep, by 4ft across at the front - well the main board itself is narrower but the Fascia is 4ft, and the Interstate board is attached to the side of the board, and adds to the impression of depth . Width at the bridge is 1ft. Hidden Sidings are 4ft long by 1ft, but the actual board is 2ft wide as I built it with a shelf to hold the controller, spare stock, bottles of beer, etc... It's one part of the layout I haven't photographed really; I'll take some pics soon.

So Total Footprint is 8ft long by 4ft wide, but that includes Operator Space. The only thing to remember is that the Viewer stands at the 4ft end, not the 8ft one...

I hope your Idea isn't too disturbing..!! :blink: and any consequences (such as new layouts) are not my fault!! :rolleyes: :D

The Prof is not the only one with ideas on the boil as a result of seeing this.

Something just hit me too. Quite out of the blue. I wasn't expecting that...

That's my summer ruined then... I'm going to be building a new layout.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

A little late, I know, but I weathering some of my stock for the TVNAM Show in particular; here's some of the better results.

Most of the weathering was done with tube acrylics; Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna & Black, using washes and 'stippling' especially on the boxcar roofs. Some airbrushing was done, mainly Underframe Dirt, and Rust on the wheels.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

And in an attempt to get away from the "Total Rustbucket" look, finally one that just had some light washes...

IMG_0092.jpg

Thanks Ian!! I must be doing something right, then!! :D

One area I did find difficult to weather... the Eagle-eyed amongst you will note the ends of the Covered Hoppers are untouched - just HOW are you supposed to reach through all that ladder-work to weather the ends?!?!?! :help: <_< :(

• 9 months later...

Of absolutely no significance to the rest of you, but this afternoon the Photographer for Continental Modeller came to take some snaps of Schiller Point.... :D :D :D :D ...fame awaits...happy0207.gif happy0045.gif

As the pics are Copyright C.M. & the photographer, you'll have to wait to see 'em... In fact I don't even have any copies myself yet!! Plenty of track-level shots taken, though. :locomotive:

An amazing co-incidence was that the Photographer was one of the team that built "Villier Street", the 4mm EM layout that directly inspired the 'viewpoint' of this layout! He said this is the first layout he's seen that followed the same style of presentation, and was delighted to see it!

At last! The first step in taking over the World! Er, Did he take a pic of your scale sized "punter"? Sorry but I love that description of yours, Jordan. Mind you he has probably grown 6 inches or more since.

I really like your weathering on CovHop #74010......

Well done! Pete.

• 8 months later...

Not exactly an Earth-shattering event, and still some way off, but Schiller Point is booked for the first Exhibition organised by Cradley Heath MRC, Sat. 19th Oct 2013, at the Community Centre, Reddal Hill Road Cradley Heath B64 5JG. :D

I forgot to post on here that my article about the layout has been published in this month's ( December ) issue of Continental Modeller, although the event was duly noted in this thread by Jack Shortliner... thanks Jack!!! :sungum:

• 10 months later...

Not exactly an Earth-shattering event, and still some way off, but Schiller Point is booked for the first Exhibition organised by Cradley Heath MRC, Sat. 19th Oct 2013, at the Community Centre, Reddal Hill Road Cradley Heath B64 5JG. :D

..... which it duly did, and was very well received by both modellers and the 'mom/dad/kids' visitors.

I was encouraged to post some pics of it here on RMweb by a few; such is the size of this place that this existing thread has obviously been long buried away, so I hope no-one minds the *bump* so to speak, & if you were at the Cradley Show and liked my layout (many thought it was DCC because of the sound) well here's the back story. :)

Archived