Pickering Station Roof

mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

A couple of points about this rather superb recreation -

1. I wonder what they are going to do about smoke dispersal (possibly alter the stopping point of arriving trains?), and

2. I wonder if the timber has been fire-proofed - surely a sensible idea with potential spark throwing from locos?, and

3. I hope they've taken their increased electricity bill into account for the extra lighting that will be neededwink.gif

Sorry, but I just can't help asking practical questions like this when I get anywhere near 'heritage' type railways which occasionally approach this sort of recreation thing with their feet not entirely on the ground.

1. I wonder what they are going to do about smoke dispersal (possibly alter the stopping point of arriving trains?), and

2. I wonder if the timber has been fire-proofed - surely a sensible idea with potential spark throwing from locos?, and

3. I hope they've taken their increased electricity bill into account for the extra lighting that will be neededwink.gif

Sorry, but I just can't help asking practical questions like this when I get anywhere near 'heritage' type railways which occasionally approach this sort of recreation thing with their feet not entirely on the ground.

To the above, I can only relate what I have been told - there are others closely involved with this project who can answer far more authoritatively.

1) I don't know but I would think that would be the case. The actual stopping location is governed by the geometry of the point and the clearances for the run round, at the southern end of the station.

2) I am told that all wood, used on the skin' has been fireproofed.

3) Don't know but I haven't yet seen the station lighting being fitted with energy saving bulbs so I imagine the NYMR has factored this in. It's a small price to pay for what is a wonderful recreation.

I'm not part of the NYMR, though a member, but to one and all, when next you are in North Yorkshire, then come and see what they've done and take a ride through some spectacular scenery on what is, quite simply, a memorable experience.

Alighting from a seven coach train in Whitby, on a warm, sunny, summer's day brings back those halcyon days of 'a day at the seaside and a ride on the train'.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I'm not part of the NYMR, though a member, but to one and all, when next you are in North Yorkshire, then come and see what they've done and take a ride through some spectacular scenery on what is, quite simply, a memorable experience.

Alighting from a seven coach train in Whitby, on a warm, sunny, summer's day brings back those halcyon days of 'a day by the seaside and a ride on the train'.

Cheers

Mike

And here is one of them - although isn't strange how folk still like standing in shot when you take a pic which they are never going to seebiggrin.gif

post-6859-0-39932700-1299754765_thumb.jpg

1 The upper clerestory is vented to allow smoke to disperse, and this is now North Yorkshires biggest wind tunnel which will aid any build up of smoke! Most NYMR locos face South in service and the stop board is positioned so as to allow a train to stop in the correct position with the exhaust outside the canopy. The other thing of note is that Pickering is at the bottom is a very shallow gradient so locos shouldn't be creating too much black smoke as the fire doesn't need much coal on it at this point.

2 Yes the timber has all been fire treated and steelwork has the latest modern treatment to withstand years of attack from suplurous fumes, this is one of the reasons for the delay as originally the contractors for the steelwork had used something akin to Hammerite rather than the grade of paint required, so all items of steel work had to be shot blasted and repainted.

3 The NYMR has stopped employing monkeys and started employing hamsters to generate electricity.

Guest stuartp

What surprised us was it was using Platform 2 which made it very hard for those, like us, with prams.

According to the chap from NYMR I was speaking to yesterday, it's because the doors on the DMU are set 1/3 in from the ends which on the curved part of platform 1 puts them almost at the widest part of the gap. You would have to lob your pram a couple of feet across the chasm. Converseley, Mk1s with the doors at the extreme end have a similar problem on platform 2.

Edit - I presume that's why the centre doors are locked on their Mk 1 SOs too but I didn't specifically ask that question.

Very impressive work. I look forward to seeing it later this year when the missus and I make our pilgrimage from Pickering to Whitby. Steam trains and fish and chips, my idea of heaven.

Very impressive work. I look forward to seeing it later this year when the missus and I make our pilgrimage from Pickering to Whitby. Steam trains and fish and chips, my idea of heaven.

And mine too.

Me and Mrs Penguin love taking the trip to Whitby and being a "Brid Kid" it brings back many happy memories, although I only really remember the diesels coming to Brid.

Looking forward to seeing the new roof this year too.

Cheers.

Sean.

I made the now weekly slight detour as I passed through Pickering, yesterday Wednesday March 16th and, what do you know, I had my camera with me. The day was grey, damp and misty so the photos taken, even at around 4.00 pm, were fairly dark.

It is getting more and more difficult to photograph the work as the entire extent of the roof is covered with scaffolding and staging and the southern entrance to the station is kept closed. The southern hip of the roof is now tiled, except for the ridge tiles down the sides. Timbering of the sides of the roof is also proceeding and the covering of the timber skin with some form of lining onto which the tiles are then fixed. Work on the ventilator is also proceeding with more sections added.

The tiles, around nine thousand of them, I believe have come from the same quarry which supplied the tiles for the original roof way back in the mid 19th century and, even in the dull light of a late winter's afternoon, do look lovely.

I am told that despite the various difficulties and delays over the winter, the work is now on schedule so I would think that next week might see the start of the removal of some of the scaffolding and staging.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-48542500-1300386250_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-01320200-1300386264_thumb.jpg

Another quick visit to Pickering Station, yesterday March 23rd, on a glorious spring afternoon. Progress is now quite rapid, though I was told that the internal scaffolding will not be removed for the start of the 2011 season on this coming Saturday. Consequently, the NYMR will be running five coach trains for the first week, using the portion of platforms 1 & 2 not covered by the scaffolding, which is now planned to be removed by the following weekend - April 2nd.

Work is now being concentrated on those aspects of the roof which require the use of the internal scaffolding - the remaining roof timbering and the ventilator and the northern hip of the roof. The southern roof hip is now completely slated with part of the sides of the southern end of the station. The northern roof hip is also now being slated, to allow the removal of this scaffolding; the roof sides can be completed with only external scaffolding in place while normal running takes place.

Talking to one of the NYMR permanent staff, he confirmed that the slates for the new roof, have come from the Penrhyn Quarry, which did supply the slates for the original roof in the mid 19th century.

So a few photos of the current state of the roof, along with a photo of a couple of would be passengers who have taken up temporary residence on the roof of the DMU presumably to ensure that they get a seat. I wonder if they have paid in advance for their tickets and I wonder how many viewers might be prompted to wonder if these two would be travellers have 'ducked out' of paying - I'll get me coat after that one!!!!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-67917700-1300960946_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-76575300-1300960968_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-73559000-1300960979_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-29912100-1300960992_thumb.jpg

Friday afternoon, March 25th around 5.00 pm and half the internal scaffolding has now gone. And now just look up and see what they've done, and it's just beautiful; classic Victorian engineering. The station is much lighter than anyone imagined it would be, perhaps the yellow colour helps. And somehow, even with half of the internal scaffolding still in place, the station now looks much larger; optical illusion I know, but perceptible nonetheless.

So there won't be many more updates on this thread, though I will photograph the first train to go under the roof, next Saturday - April 2nd.

I hope you've enjoyed viewing the thread as much as I've enjoyed posting to it! We've watched the recreation of a little bit of history.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-95288900-1301151270_thumb.jpg

Another detour into Pickering Station, yesterday March 30th around 5.00 pm. All of the roof timbering is now completed, the ventilator is now completed and the scaffolding contractors have almost completed the removal of the internal supports and staging. There are three bogie bolster and well wagons almost full of steel tubes and wooden planks.

All of the holes in the station walls which were made when the canopies were erected back in the early 1950's have been made good with new stone, so there is now almost no evidence that these canopies were ever there.

The photos below are just as they come, they have not been brightened or lightened so you can see just how light the station is. At least one of The StationMaster's concerns (see postings 50 and 51) is therefore not a problem; that of the station being dark and requiring permanent lighting.

So, as far as recording the building of this roof goes, this is about it. There are still some thousands of tiles to fit down each side of the roof but this can and will be done with the station fully functional and there is no real photographic vantage point to further show this progress.

So let's all wait and see what the first loco is to travel under the new roof, hopefully on Saturday morning. And those folks waiting for the first train from Pickering, on Saturday, will see this roof in its pristine form, as yet unstained by the smoke of the countless locomotives which will pass under it over the years to come.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-75429500-1301561538_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-08386600-1301561557_thumb.jpg

Just for information, the station roof is only part of a £1.6 million project at Pickering Station, which includes the new visitors and education centre and a demonstration signal box which will be erected at the southern end of the station by the run round. If anyone's interested then I'll post some photos as this box, which is of NER origin, is resurrected.

Now to find and photograph that signal bridge at Grosmont when it is re-erected!

Cheers

Mike

....... a demonstration signal box which will be erected at the southern end of the station by the run round. If anyone's interested then I'll post some photos as this box, which is of NER origin, is resurrected.

certainly would be interested - I'll have to make some enquiries about this. I assume it'll be an NER southern division brick job or given that its a demo unit would it be one of the small wooden pattern things that were common as gate cabins and the like in that part of the world?

Looking forward to the updates

Cheers

Steve

certainly would be interested - I'll have to make some enquiries about this. I assume it'll be an NER southern division brick job or given that its a demo unit would it be one of the small wooden pattern things that were common as gate cabins and the like in that part of the world?

Looking forward to the updates

Cheers

Steve

I belive the current plan is to use the old box, removed from Marshies Road a few years ago.

J.P.

I belive the current plan is to use the old box, removed from Marshies Road a few years ago.

So that must be moving ends then?

For a demonstration box it would have been nice to have something bigger - I doubt it ever had more than a few levers and a wheel in it in its original role.

So that must be moving ends then?

For a demonstration box it would have been nice to have something bigger - I doubt it ever had more than a few levers and a wheel in it in its original role.

Marishes Road was a 10 lever frame. It covers all the basics with a little room to spare.

Archived