Nowhere in Particular

Paul47

Hi All,

Well, after lurking around in the shadows for some time I thought it was about time I actually posted something.

The layout is based on nowhere in particular and is the first N gauge layout I have built. I had my first (and last) layout when I was 11 which was erm .... more than 10 years ago. In fact a lot more!

It measures the grand size of 27" x 9.5" (68cm x 24cm) and the reason for this is threefold. Firstly, I wanted something small to practice on before I tackle anything major. Secondly until one of the kids move out (hopefully soon :D ) I'm limited for space and finally it's small enough to fit onto one of the bookshelves. When finished I plan to use it as a backdrop to take photos of my stock.

I have attached the track plan and a photo of the board. I'm actually a bit further on with the track laid and the retaining wall partially built.

post-10365-0-32314700-1294685608_thumb.jpg

post-10365-0-39968300-1294685628_thumb.jpg

As I progress I'd be happy for any comments, suggestions (name for the layout) etc. As I said above, I'm new to all of this and therefore have a lot to learn.

Cheers

Paul47

• RMweb Premium

Hello Paul.

Are you going to add fiddle yards?

It looks like you are using MDF as the trackbed, if this is correct make sure that you give it a good coat of paint or similar to seal it, you don't want it to swell up once your models are in place.

• RMweb Gold

I feel that in a real situation there would a connection from the track leading to the depot across to the mainlines. Certainly iwould have been in steam days perhaps less so in diesel days. However I just wonder whether if you intend to expand this layout you may wish you done it. If on the otherhand you plan to just keep this as a diorama then I wouldn't bother.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the connection to the mainline is at the other end of the platforms out of sight?

Looks like a nice little project you've got there - I'm looking forward to seeing this progress :D

Simon

Maybe the connection to the mainline is at the other end of the platforms out of sight?

That was exactly my first thought when I saw the trackplan - assumed that it's "the other side of the scenic break" that is the right hand wall of the board.

Hi! Can I assume that you are familiar with Carl's site?http://www.carendt.com/index.html

If not take a look.

Best, Pete.

No I wasn't familiar with the site but after a brief look I think I need to be. Thanks.

Hello Paul.

Are you going to add fiddle yards?

It looks like you are using MDF as the trackbed, if this is correct make sure that you give it a good coat of paint or similar to seal it, you don't want it to swell up once your models are in place.

I'm not planning to add any fiddle yards as it is only really a practice piece. I've earmarked our attic room for my main layout but wanted to make my mistakes on a smaller scale first. Case in point is that it is MDF but I didn't paint it before I laid the track. Ooops!

I feel that in a real situation there would a connection from the track leading to the depot across to the mainlines. Certainly iwould have been in steam days perhaps less so in diesel days. However I just wonder whether if you intend to expand this layout you may wish you done it. If on the otherhand you plan to just keep this as a diorama then I wouldn't bother.

Don

The first track plan I did had just that but I decided that since it was going to be a test piece it was not worth the added cost.

Cheers

Paul47

Hi Paul,

Looks like this will be an interesting project. Much like my practice piece I made a couple of years ago - Nutbrook - which I used to learn/make mistakes on. I can thoroughly recommend that approach, although I'm now making more mistakes on my larger layout!

Good luck with it all. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been nearly three weeks sinc my last post so I thought I should add a few pictures showing my (slow) progress.

post-10365-0-40434100-1296413460_thumb.jpg

This is the overall layout showing my first attempt at ballasting. I used a ballast spreader but I think I'm not sure it does a very good job. It may be work better if the track is on cork, just need to give it a try.

post-10365-0-50695100-1296414391_thumb.jpg

There will be another bridge on the left with the archway bricked up. The two sidings will be covered by a diesel depot.

post-10365-0-83884600-1296414556_thumb.jpg

The hole in the sky on the right will be hidden by a footbridge which will have an entrance on raised road at the back. Platforms need to be fixed down and ballasting finished. Still need to paint the rail sides and give the back another coat of blue.

Paul47

Archived