Catcott Burtle

Chris Nevard

After messing about with extending Cement Quay over the last month or three, earlier today as a relief Catcott Burtle my 1950's bit of bucolic Somerset was introduced to a 27 year old Airfix 4F which has undergone an up-an-under with new Comet chassis, new paint job and most recently weathering....

Here goes, a load of old bull.... the snap is 'as is' ex cam......

Bath Green Park's Midland 4F No. 44417 is captured here trundling through Catcott Burtle with what I imagine is an Evercreech Junction to Highbridge goods. The slide mount on the colour transparency would suggest that the Kodachrome II slide was captured on the photographer's new Voigtl?¤nder Vitomatic II in the late summer of 1963. Has anyone any further thoughts on this?

post-6681-12579008538241_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise the Daddy or Chips question was a problem. Its not for my kids, Chips everytime. (Hopefully that will change when they realise where the money comes from :D

Great photo, and yet another reminder that I need to work on how I take close ups.

Hmmmmmm.....maybe the photographer needs to check his notes? Mine tell me that 44417 was a Templecombe loco :unsure: Super photo as ever, was it stacked? I really must have a go at that.

Thanks for the update re Templecombe. No stacking - just a G9 stopped right down, bean bag, self timer an clerrlick!

The below is stacked though in CS3 as per my blog http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2008/12/layer-stacking-in-photoshop-cs3-for.html

post-6681-1257940813914_thumb.jpg

Astolat Model Railway Exhibition in Guildford on Sat 16 January.

I do a maximum of 3 local shows a year rotating through the layouts.

*Stop press*

Wycrail 2010 (6 Nov) will see Combwich's first outing in 6 years. The jewel in the crown will be through running to Tim Maddocks' fabulous Bleakhouse Road!

*Stop press*

Wycrail 2010 (6 Nov) will see Combwich's first outing in 6 years. The jewel in the crown will be through running to Tim Maddocks' fabulous Bleakhouse Road!

Am i not right in thinking you are coming to wyrail for next 2,3 or 4 years with different layouts?

Sam

Am i not right in thinking you are coming to wyrail for next 2,3 or 4 years with different layouts?

Sam

Yup,

2010 Combwich (1st outing for 6 years)

2011 Catcott (no hassle)

2012 Arne Wharf (009 so like pulling teeth operationally)

2013 something new I imagine - it's a long way off.......

How about cement quay with a lump on the other side ?

Another exension?

Sam

Nah, time for something new seeing I might have the space by then - Midford Viaduct through to Midford Goods would do...... 20ft x 18" ought to do it ;)

Pics from a field trip on 18 September.....

post-6681-12582119664666_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12582119771588_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12582119879196_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12582119985096_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12582120079494_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12582121085752_thumb.jpg

Chris

For a long time I have followed your layout threads with interest......great to see it here as a "Layout Thread/Topic", for me, so much easier to work with than a blog.

By the way... thanks for the advice you gave me back in July/August re: SKY.

Your modelling is of the highest standard, so inspirational to all of us out here.

Thanks

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I inherited a dozen or so mineral wagons made up from 1960's vintage Airfix kits. Whilst they were very well made, the builder never painted them but did add the transfers. In an attempt to bring them up to modern expectations but without the additional work of stripping all the transfers off I decided to weather them as I do my buildings. When performing this, I drybrush on various greys, rust reds and then dust on grey primer and matt black from Halfords aerosols. An effective and quick fix - just another 10 or so to do!

I hope to be able to use these wagons effectively when I next take Cement Quay out - not as the usual current day scenario but as transition era.

post-6681-12594436450038_thumb.jpg

post-6681-12594436629818_thumb.jpg

Chris, I always thought Catcott was a beautiful piece of railway artistry, but only seeing pictures of steam locos on it , whilst I appreciated your skills it never really related to me (if you know what I mean) until you posted the picture with the western and the 16 tonners. Hope I don't sound sycophantic, but that it absolutely exquisite and must be one of the very best models out there! absolutely brilliant! icon_thumbsup2.gif

Chris, I always thought Catcott was a beautiful piece of railway artistry, but only seeing pictures of steam locos on it , whilst I appreciated your skills it never really related to me (if you know what I mean) until you posted the picture with the western and the 16 tonners. Hope I don't sound sycophantic, but that it absolutely exquisite and must be one of the very best models out there! absolutely brilliant! icon_thumbsup2.gif

You're too kind :D

I must admit next time Catcott does a two day show I'm temted to do a morning or afternoon in late 60's early 70's mode with plain blue bubble cars, Class 31's, Hymeks, Class 22's & Westerns etc. Lots of milk tanks and short wheelbase covered vans etc.

Archived