Large Folding Stock/Fiddle Yard

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I can't make anything permanent due to an impending move ( I'm off because the b*st*rds from the Council won't let me build anything in my football pitch sized garden.....:angry: ) , and I have not bought the new property yet, so I can't pre construct anything.

There is only so much stock weathering and building I can do without itching to lay down some track and watch the stuff going round and round. I have a large room with hard level gap free floors which is great for building a nice big "roundy roundy" with set track. Sadly the room also gets used for other things so I can't leave things down for long. Building and dismantling this doesn't take long until you want to add a stock yard/fiddle yard.

My thoughts were to build a folding yard. This would serve many purposes:

Get me friendly with the woodwork tools again.

Allow me to practice things like wiring, soldering, ballasting, track painting, point motor fitting etc.

And to "play" with some of the stuff I have sat in boxes.

I have some 9mm ply sheets which are 3' x 4'6". Using raised hinges in a CJ Freezer style (mounted at hieght on top of the boards), and using bracing down the centre and sides of the board with cross braces above load guage height. The side braces also act as a stop when the unit is folded.

All wiring above board level with simple continuity wires jumping the board gap.

My only concern at the moment is climbing the 9mm rise to get on top of the board. How long a "run up" ramp should I build?

If I have missed anything, please point it out.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I have wondered about using a table tennis table as a basis for a large folding fiddle yard. Has the ease of being designed to fold and comes with wheels to allow for easy and quick moving. You might need to make the surface a little more substantial but in essence you have an easy to move folding baseboard ready to go.

Doesn't help you get friendly with the wood work tools though.

• RMweb Gold

If its a folding fiddleyard you have to take everything off to fold it. A yard on an oversized tea trolly that could be wheeled into place might be an idea.

You could mount the controller(s) underneath.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I have to get it through a domestic doorway - I was looking for something along the lines of an oversized wallpapering table.

My biggest concern is the length of incline I need to make 9mm in height in OO.

• RMweb Gold

If its just a 9mm high i would expect 1:30 which would be 270mm long would be ok as it only a short length. If taken a very slow speeds or heavy loads increase to 1:40 or 1:50 eg. 450mm conversly if taken at reasonable speeds with light loads you might get away with 1:25 - 225mm in all casesI would add a bit for transition onto the gradient say 50 to 100mm.

Don

Archived