Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

a loco at each end was an operational necessity in the Bluebells early years before gaining entry into horsted keynes. They terminated at a makeshift halt with no runround. Nothing to do with pleasing punters it was a requirement. Propelling a passenger train four and a half miles would never have been permitted

Of course I understood that then and now. My point is it isn’t normally done on the real railway for passenger operations, and I knew that as a schoolboy. And it was done to please the punters - as you point out, otherwise no service.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have hung around longer to see the manoeuvre completed. It seemed they were intent on getting the train away, so I wasn’t convinced that propelling towards the stops was about to happen.

My first taste of preservation, circa 1964, was clouded by seeing the Bluebell operating with a loco at each end. I must remember that the aim of such lines is to please punters, not ape the prototype.

I suspect that if pushed for time then the coaches weren't propelled back towards the blocks. (but I did drop a hint some years ago to someone previously involved with the railway that moving coaches while they were occupied did pose a potential risk of people, especially children, losing their footing if they weren't prepared for a train or stock to be shunted back while a run-round was taking place).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

a loco at each end was an operational necessity in the Bluebells early years before gaining entry into horsted keynes. They terminated at a makeshift halt with no runround. Nothing to do with pleasing punters it was a requirement. Propelling a passenger train four and a half miles would never have been permitted

Topping and tailing continued until BR stopped using Horsted Keynes and Bluebell could run round in the station.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me with any pictures of Bulleid West Country Locomotives that had the Oil Burning system fitted. I know 21C119 'Bideford' was fitted out in 1947, but I have yet to find any pictures of her, or her class mates, that had the tanks fitted etc. I fancy doing a conversion on a Hornby model, i have an idea how it might look, but it would be great to actually see a picture for reference. Thanks in advance for any help.

This site is a bit dormant at the moment the O.P. is AWOL

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Treneglos update....

Having purchased the layout at the end of 2017, I must apologise for the lack of updates. I did make a start on a light restoration, but sadly my wife was diagnosed with small cell Cancer in June of this year, and life has been turned upside down. My wife comes first, and is being very brave, we are doing everything we can to help her fight this. Treneglos is safely stored, and I hope, one day, I will be able to continue with the layout. In the meantime, keep well, all the best, Simon.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Treneglos update....

Having purchased the layout at the end of 2017, I must apologise for the lack of updates. I did make a start on a light restoration, but sadly my wife was diagnosed with small cell Cancer in June of this year, and life has been turned upside down. My wife comes first, and is being very brave, we are doing everything we can to help her fight this. Treneglos is safely stored, and I hope, one day, I will be able to continue with the layout. In the meantime, keep well, all the best, Simon.

Simon,

Our thoughts are with you both.

Rich.

Hi Simon, sorry to learn of the misfortunes of your good lady.  Both my wife and I have suffered the Big C; me with colon and she with skin cancer.  Glad to say we are still here after many years have passed.  Cancer is not the problem it once was, so there's every good reason you both will be as fortunate.

Also hang on to the trains as they will prove a pleasant distraction as mine were.

Brian.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having seen this pop up in recent content, have to say how much I enjoyed the summary in the 'virtual SWAG day'. Lots of stuff here in this thread but it was good to see it all condensed with AY's accompanying images. Reminded me just how much I enjoyed seeing this at the Barnstaple show a few years ago, complete with Stubby's scones on offer :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2020 at 14:18, 2ManySpams said:

Just found my original 2002 sketch for the Treneglos goods shed, prepared from photos before we knew of the LSWR drawings...

IMG_20200501_141557.jpg.46f4cdf6abc967d405b5ad51e7ded8b9.jpg

Is that Johnny Gringo on the platform? Looks like he's about to go for his six-shooters... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• 3 months later...