Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

Do you remember the Happy Eater chain of restaurants? I think that they had a sign like a bloke who had just found out that the pies had arrived.

And trust the Great Western to fit their little Pannier tanks with Pie warmers on the Cleobury branch, you couldn't make it up could you? Mind you I think there was a connection with munitions, which might mean that you wouldn't want your hot cinders or fresh pasty to land on some tasty ordnance!

All the best, John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, about 3hrs in the co-acting signal stopped responding. This was after a couple of occasions of doing it's own thing (or was it John doing his own thing?). Remembering what Geoff said about the servos being susceptible to other electrical interference, we rerouted the control cable further away from other cables (hence the windy day). Still no joy so we unplugged the accessory power supply for a while to see if that rebooted the servo controller, again no joy. So after a fault finding process and swapping kit around we confirmed it wasn't the actual signal, or its servo or the cable. That left the control panel switch, socket and signal controller itself. Will have to talk to Geoff to see what the next course of action is. Apart from that and the odd driver error, everything else worked faultlessly. Great show and tonight I'll post some photos.

• Like 1

Hi, really enjoyed seeing Treneglos at Tonbridge. One of the two main reasons I went to the show. I spent most of the day there and came back to you many times, not disapointed at all, and took some pics / video to remind and inspire latter. Thanks and look forward to seeing Treneglos again. Phil, Peacehaven, E Sussex.

• Like 1

Hi there!

GWR-Fanatic here, I think ColinW introduced me on Saturday at the Tonbridge show.

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing your layout at the exhibition, I know that I'm personally a GWR enthusiast, but to see a layout like Treneglos where so much care has been taken to create something that really catches the eye really makes all the difference.

Also it's the display that makes it come to life, all the additional information shown below the layout added to is. I'm still working on my own display features, the articles I had around my own layout at the exhibition will probably change in the future, though I did take a few notes. ^_^

Hope you enjoyed the exhibition as much as I did.

Edited by GWR-Fanatic
  • Like 2

Thanks for your comments, Matt. It was good to meet you, if only briefly at the show (which if I remember right was the first time out for your own layout?).

The display panels were included at the front of Treneglos right from the beginning as an integral part of the viewing "experience"!!!!

It's now well over forty years since the North Cornwall section was deleted from the U.K. railway network and as is inevitable on a single line, end-to-end layout, there will be times when the trains disappear into the fiddle-yards.

So, it seemed a good idea to provide something else for visitors to look at and explain "where, why, when and what" our model railway is based upon and how it received the epithet "Withered Arm" of the Southern. Plus there's some items for the kids to search for, while they're waiting for the next train to arrive at the station and a few "spotter's pictures" for those who like to know about T9s, the superb N class 2-6-0s and "Spam cans". We hope the display panels help make up for those periods when we're busy fiddling in the fiddle-yards, preparing the next train to run through Treneglos, up from Padstow and Wadebridge, or down from Okehampton and Waterloo.

As Chris posted on the show thread, we thoroughly enjoyed our "day excursion" to Tonbridge. Great to meet you all and thanks once again for the invitation to bring our layout to your exhibition.

All the best, John.

Edited by Old Gringo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

We're a bit overdue a report from our last show, Tonbridge, so here we go....

Lizards to Tonbridge - Pt1: A cloud of horsepower....

It was Friday before high noon and the wild west gun slinger Old Gringo arrived at the 'Spams ranch with his trusty steed. Thankfully the not very trusty steed had been left in the wild west. He had made it past the restless natives and had collected some booty en route from the black hills of Blurton. Things were looking up. No time was wasted and the kettle was put on. Smoke signals were sighted to the north east, "I'll be there in 15". It was an Indomitable lone rider.

Gringo signalled that there was time to look over the collected booty. We were mightily impressed with what we saw. (photos to be added) . It was all very impressive and we did our very best to look like we understood it. There was no time to waste and so we had our teas.

The long arduous task of talking rubbish started and we began moving the cargo from its first floor stable lodgings down to the grounds of the ranch. To mark the lone rider's arrival in a cloud of horsepower the sky darkened and the heavens were slightly ajar. Much later, with only 30 shows experience to fall back on, Gringo had the trusty steed loaded in yet another new and exciting way.

We were off, but not before we'd checked that we had NO navigational aids or details of where we were going. When you have a trusty steed and a full posse, who needs such trivial items....?

Wagons were rolling and it was not long before thoughts of a food break came up. In fact it was less than 1/2 a mile. Whilst tucking into a pack of almond slices we decided to try and set a new endurance record for not eating. We set the controls for a secret location south of Oxford and spent the next 90mins talking rubbish and playing 'wind up Old Gringo' in the increasingly uncomfortable trusty steed.

Our stop came into view and then disappeared as Gringo reversed the trusty stead up to the tying rail. Dressed in black, proudly emblazoned with our shiny silver lizards, we walked into the bar. Had there been music it would have stopped as all eyes turned towards the posse from the north. We ordered three glasses of local milk and chose a good defensive position. The Gringo announced that he was on a diet and ordered a chicken and bacon jaw breaker with side of fries. In no time the grits and beans arrived and swiftly departed.

Back on the road and the second leg of our magical mystery tour began. We decided that south and east were the best two directions and headed that way. After much time talking rubbish we spied Mr Sainsbury's pie establishment. That was a good sign. There were however no other wagons at Fort Tonbridge. That was a bad sign. Despite our best efforts we had arrived 3 hours early - truly a lizard posse first!

To be continued.....

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 8