Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Apologies, I didn't realise that I'd borrowed your TG moniker for Torr Giffard.

What will you do if Treneglos is retired? Are you considering another similar layout?

Cheers

Dave

Strangely all our layouts have had their names shortened for 'common' use. I suspect we'd have a problem in court trying to claim sole use of the initials, so you're plenty safe using them.

Although the layout lives with me, the other two owners have an equal say in what we do with the layout. One thing is clear though - we have more live layout projects than manpower / available weekends to exhibit them.

I do have a plan forming though for another BR(S) layout. This time though, it will be primarily a layout for home with potential for the odd show. At least then the stock will get more of a run and I'll have something to play with at home.

Just have to finish the outstanding items for DitD and build BCB first though!

• Like 3

About time we saw it again - have eventually found out the date and place by extensive navigation round teh Soar Valley website - date in one place, locatin on a scanned poster and list of layouts (with date or place) somewhere else. So looks like there's a visit coming up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just dug the exhibition details out of the folder:

It's the Soar Valley MRC 2012 show, being marketed as "Heart of the Midlands Railex 2012".

Date: 29th and 30th of September.

I count a good 30+ layouts, including fellow BCB member, Mark's Foundry Lane.

post-6675-0-25099800-1347807078_thumb.jpg

Www.svmrc.co.UK

Outstanding as usual. Now if I could just find a local who would do the similar carpentry for my planned Padstow on the Pacific and Clay Drys modules. Chris, Care for a visit to California next year? You don't have to bring Treneglos with you.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

Gosh, we've not been here for a few months! This is in no small part due to this year being mainly committed to other projects such as the BRM project layout - Black Country Blues - and to a lesser extent Diesels in the Duchy. Work and home have been very busy too.

The final outing for TG this year is fast approaching. This is Loughborough show at the end of the month. Further details can be found in the blog link in my signature.

The first and only other outing this year was Tonbridge, where we had the pleasure of a personal visit from Olddudders. This was only a one day show, bringing this year's total for the layout being used to 3 days. At 32' the layout is too big to use at home and so the rest of the time it gathers dust in storage. Next year, with BCB and DitD outings taken into account, it is entirely possible that the old girl will have no outings.

Is it now time for TG to bow out gracefully? Could Loughborough be it's last show?

The reality is that we built the layout 10 years ago. It was our first non-club collaboration and taught us a great deal about layout building and exhibiting. Lessons learnt have gone into DitD and BCB. If we built TG today I suspect it would be in EM, and have deeper boards. I suspect also that we'd have done more research and avoided 'assumption errors' such as incorporating trap points when the NCR had none; not building it originally with a coal yard as again the NCR didn't really have these; and perhaps having some nice concrete post and wire fencing...

Regardless of what's to come in the future, the layout will be going up in sections at home today, tested, cleaned and prepared for the show. So come and see us in two weeks time, it could be the last chance for a while!

It will be a shame if TG does head into retirement, as it is a great layout to stand and watch the trains go by. Dare I say it has also inspired us with our new club layout at Tonbridge :rolleyes: in baseboard construction and scenery. So if the Soar Valley show in a couple of weeks is its final outing, try and make sure you can get a chance to watch it.

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pictures, Chris. As said by others, it will be a shame if "TG" does retire. Regarding the notion of EM gauge, from the pictures the track work looks very convincing & it's hard to tell that it is actually 00 (especially if the track is seen side on as per normal viewing) - you would have had to do a lot of wheel swapping for possibly not a lot of gain...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All the shots by the way were taken on my phone, with no enhancements or Photoshoppery. Just natural light, the room striplights and a lot of swearing trying to get the phone to focus in the right bit! I've also cleaned the track and dine a stock check to see if everything is present and correct.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, did anyone notice there wasn't a train or station in any if the shots? I do like scenics!

Lovely photos, and I quite agree, no need to have a train as the centrepiece of the picture.

Many thanks,

Dave.T

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

and perhaps having some nice concrete post and wire fencing...

commonly found elsewhere too you know, sometimes even in the Black Country :secret:

....Soar Valley MRC 2012 show, being marketed as "Heart of the Midlands Railex 2012".

Date: 29th and 30th of September.

I count a good 30+ layouts, including fellow BCB member, Mark's Foundry Lane.

Hardly seems worthwhile unloading FL from the car after this weekend's outing to Expo EM North. Should be a good show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know the feeling when using the phone to take photos but looking at your shots it was worth it.

Ian

The best bit is that the phone fits in locations (on the layout!) that a compact or SLR won't. It also appears to cope very well with low light. Would be good to have some manual exposure control and a focus lock but hey, it's a phone and who would have thought they would have 8mp cameras!

• RMweb Premium

commonly found elsewhere too you know, sometimes even in the Black Country :secret:

Hardly seems worthwhile unloading FL from the car after this weekend's outing to Expo EM North. Should be a good show.

Yup that concrete post and wire stuff will have to make an appearance on BCB.

Go on, leave it in the car, it won't be that inconvenient!

• RMweb Premium

It will be a shame if TG does head into retirement, as it is a great layout to stand and watch the trains go by. Dare I say it has also inspired us with our new club layout at Tonbridge :rolleyes: in baseboard construction and scenery. So if the Soar Valley show in a couple of weeks is its final outing, try and make sure you can get a chance to watch it.

Colin

Probably not retirement Colin, just deep store until 2014. Certainly not looking at bonfires or sledgehammers yet ;-p

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About time we saw it again - have eventually found out the date and place by extensive navigation round teh Soar Valley website - date in one place, locatin on a scanned poster and list of layouts (with date or place) somewhere else. So looks like there's a visit coming up.

Be sure to say hello John, we don't bite but John (Old Gringo) does dribble...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Outstanding as usual. Now if I could just find a local who would do the similar carpentry for my planned Padstow on the Pacific and Clay Drys modules. Chris, Care for a visit to California next year? You don't have to bring Treneglos with you.

That would be a bit of a dream...giving up the 8til6 job and touring the world doing scenic work on layouts. Can't see SWMBO, the kids or the bank manager being too happy with the idea though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some extra population for TG:

This is Old Gringo as a lad

post-6675-0-11733600-1348431179_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-04660300-1348431185_thumb.jpg

The local tramp

post-6675-0-39314200-1348429706_thumb.jpg

A spiv type character

post-6675-0-10727900-1348429727_thumb.jpg

Shooting party (hope it's not the mermaid they have seen)

post-6675-0-36677600-1348429736_thumb.jpg

And Old Gringo as a lad again

post-6675-0-72364700-1348431191_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-42964200-1348431199_thumb.jpg

All the figures are from the Dart Castings range.

Rock (but no roll):

post-6675-0-50259200-1348431210_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-11933700-1348431223_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-69713700-1348431235_thumb.jpg

• Like 9