Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Old Gringo? Last seen staggering out of a pub in deepest Yorkshire...

Could be serious if he was staggering east from a pub in Robin Hoods Bay......... :scared:

Would be even more serious if he was anywhere in Hull...................................

P

• RMweb Premium

With the help of Mike, my father-in-law, Treneglos was erected today in sections in the Train Room. Now, the room is a smidge over 17' long which seems massive until you try and put up a 34' long layout! Thankfully the layout is wired so that each board has a lead back to the control panel which means that the boards don't physically have to be attached to each other to test things like point motors. They do however have to be attached if you want to test board joints and run some stock...

First up was the Okehampton fiddleyard and the adjacent two scenic boards - that combination takes up 15' alone. Whilst they were attached trains were run over every road and each end of the turntable fiddle. All happy after a little cleaning of the brass tube and rod that aligns the track and provides power. Smashing.

Next the Okehampton fiddleyard was taken down and shoved out of the way enabling another two scenic boards to be put up. This gave me a clear run over the marsh, under the station road bridge (must find the bus), through the station, past the goods yard and over the viaduct before a stopping sharply to avoid hitting the wall! Again all fine and the little dip before the viaduct doesn't appear to have got any bigger. The layout has been vacuumed, the streams polished and various green bits touched up. Having been working on my 7mm layout recently, which has 980mm deep boards, the 500mm ones on TG don't half look narrow! 

With these four boards up it has been possible to start test running locos up and down through the loop. Fairly mixed results at this stage. Two years of locos not being used hasn't been kind and it's the Bachmann Std 4MT tanks and Maunsell Ns that appear to be sulking the most. Looks like I'll be stripping them down tonight for a good clean. Hornby Spams are, and have always been, a mixed bunch. The early releases have the loco pick up issues and the later ones don't seem as well put together. Most have annoying squeaks from the tender pickups. Grrr!

The next phase will be to put up the Padstow fiddle and two adjacent scenic boards.  

On a plus note for Stu, the WR Prairie runs fine (just got to find the box).  On a minus note for Old Gringo the Standard 3MT tank runs fine too.

• Like 5

Shame I am not in the UK to come and see this. SWMBO likes coming to the UK over Christmas, which is not a good time for shows. I do like to see southern based layouts even if out of period for my own modelling. One year I am going to make a trip so I can get to Telford or Reading O gauge shows.

All the best with the exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

A few photos from this afternoon...

Four boards from the Padstow end and then the Okehampton end (cutting board missing).

post-6675-0-82724100-1405882758_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-45553400-1405882763_thumb.jpg

T9 running in the yard with the yardmaster scrutinising operations.

post-6675-0-00816800-1405882761_thumb.jpg

Looks like I'm in trouble...

post-6675-0-50759300-1405882766_thumb.jpg

Slight issue with the stock gauge...

post-6675-0-71299700-1405882769_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-66960500-1405882772_thumb.jpg

...and we also had 'help' from my son too:

post-6675-0-69674000-1405882774_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-13370200-1405882777_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Shame I am not in the UK to come and see this. SWMBO likes coming to the UK over Christmas, which is not a good time for shows. I do like to see southern based layouts even if out of period for my own modelling. One year I am going to make a trip so I can get to Telford or Reading O gauge shows.

All the best with the exhibition.

Peter, if you do intend making Telford show this year be sure to let me know - I'm aiming to get there too. Would be good to meet up. 

Peter, if you do intend making Telford show this year be sure to let me know - I'm aiming to get there too. Would be good to meet up. 

I am afraid it will not be this year. We are planning a trip to Europe this Christmas. So thats this years trip fixed. SWMBO wants to drive up the east coast of America the next vacation, so it is looking like a couple of years hence at least. As you say would be nice to meet some of the bods behind all these great models on here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 'lad' is thinking.......'I wonder if those streams would look better with a bit of liquid?' He is also confused about the Okehampton Fiddle. He thought that was  a folk dance used in fertility rituals.

Quack.