Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Confirm: Melksham is in SWAG... although it's (how can I say it without causing offence to our GW friends) the other side of the tracks from the L&SWR :D

I kind of strange seeing the layout progressing on this thread - I have an attack of Deja-vous with every post.

PS The bridge details are very interesting - thanks for sharing those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

HI

I have always loved this layout, right up my line!. see you at the show in a few weeks , keep the photo coming!

All the best

Darren

Darren

Be sure to say hello if you see us. Photos may restart as the home PC is now returned after a melt down, although it's still not too happy....

• RMweb Premium

phew.... I've found most of the stock and buildings in our upsidedown house/building site. Final check in the morning and then off North to Damian's......then SW to Melksham. It makes sense honest!

• RMweb Premium

Good to see everybody at the show, although it sounds like a few of you did undercover visits! Think there needs to be a subtle RMweb badge produced to help members identify each other.......

Great news from yesterday was that we've now got an invite from Nick at BRM for the Ally Pally show, March 2013. Nice.

Day 2 coming up, tired again after waking up way too early.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see everybody at the show, although it sounds like a few of you did undercover visits!

I did - and getting into my 'operational safety assessment' mode I was pleased to see that the single line crossings (or certainly those which I witnessed) were done absolutely correctly and that another watcher also noted that fact (shame about the signals tho' wink.gif).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad you noticed the crossings... We had loads of ex railwaymen telling us how to do it correctly. There's still the old slip - loss of attention or distracted talking to folk but the intention is there.

The signals did work and have the mechanisms on the bases to prove it but we found the memory wire very susceptable to temperature changes in the halls during a typical show and they needed lots of attention to keep the throw. Substitution with something more 'fit and forget' is on the cards.

After a few timings we worked out that we ran 560 trains this weekend and each covered about 28 feet. That's 225 ish scale miles....

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Great news from yesterday was that we've now got an invite from Nick at BRM for the Ally Pally show, March 2013. Nice.

That's good to hear, I shall be there myself in 2013 either with Fisherton Sarum or my club's Hinton Parva depending on which layout he can fit in either 2013 or 14

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep i can say the same , just amazing bit of work ,spent most of my time looking at this layout biggrin.gif

Good to meet you too Darren. Glad you enjoyed the layout. When the house build settles down and I can find all my stuff again I'll have a look through the Spams fleet and let you know which are surplus.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry, no news or updates for a while due to work commitments and building work at home. We have, however, reached a landmark in the house destruction / reconstruction and on Tuesday evening Treneglos moved in to the new modelling room.

post-6675-0-18007500-1307008055_thumb.jpg

The room is just over 13' x 17', big, but too short to erect the full 32' of TG in full. I am however really exciting about using the new room after 25 years of working on odd corners of various houses. It is but a great area to do some modelling in and work on sections of the layout without having to tidy up afterwards. Eventually, after finishing work on Damain's DitD and John's Outlaw layouts I will build my own home layout. But first more house painting and finishing work to be done.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thats a nice looking room for a layout Chris.What you planning for you own layout then ? Western perhaps. ;)

Errr, would I surprise you if I said it's unlikely to be Western? I'll be sticking with the Southern's Withered Arm as a theme (I've got the stock and reference material after all) and have a few ideas now I've seen the room nearly complete.

I'll start a new thread at some point but initial ideas for a specification include:

• Terminous to fiddle format
  • U shaped boards - with one 17' leg slightly diaganally towards the other
  • Design elements from Padstow, Illfracombe and Bude
  • Space enough in the room for bookcases and a modelling desk
  • Home use only - not for exhibition
  • 4mm/OO - too much stock to convert to EM
  • Handbuilt track
  • Something interesting to operate and to look at
  • Up to 3' deep boards
  • Make use of one of TG's turntable fiddles

The railway room was a surprising outcome from what was supposed to be just a ground floor extension... the depth of the building created quiet a roof void and a minor alteration to the gutter height and roof pitch produced a very useable space that also has a 4'x6' dormer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could you add a couple of temporary, only-for-use-at-home sections on a curve, to fit inbetween existing Treneglos boards, to allow you to errect the layout in the room ?

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Could you add a couple of temporary, only-for-use-at-home sections on a curve, to fit inbetween existing Treneglos boards, to allow you to errect the layout in the room ?

Stu

Hi Stu

I have thought about that - the board geometry would work: 6' TT, 2x4' scenic boards, new corner, 1x4' scenic board, new corner, 2x4' scenic boards and 6' TT. Problem is that the new corner boards would be either side of the board containing the main station throat and headshunt. Not the best place for a break!

• RMweb Premium

The other alternative would be to run the layout as a fiddle to terminus. Loose the RHS 4' scenic board with the mill, stream and cottages on. Substitute it with a 12" traverser - the scenic break would be the bridge. That would allow three scenic boards to be put up (Station, throat and viaduct) before needing a corner (90deg). This could be followed by the cutting board and a further corner (110deg) before using one of the TT fiddles.

Very doable, but very limited operationally and probably not worth the effort? This would also distract me from helping to finish Damian and John's projects. I think also that TG was started 8 years ago and, to be honest, how we build layouts and the standards we want to apply has moved on in that time.

I think i've made my mind up but I do still think of the idea.....

• RMweb Gold

I think also that TG was started 8 years ago and, to be honest, how we build layouts and the standards we want to apply has moved on in that time.

That almost sounds like the skip is beckoning for Treneglos...:blink:

• RMweb Premium

No, not the skip - just not use as a home layout. We've never had anywhere to put it up completely in the 8 years and it's always been stored in between shows - so no real change.

Errr, would I surprise you if I said it's unlikely to be Western? I'll be sticking with the Southern's Withered Arm as a theme (I've got the stock and reference material after all) and have a few ideas now I've seen the room nearly complete.

I'll start a new thread at some point but initial ideas for a specification include:

• Terminous to fiddle format
  • U shaped boards - with one 17' leg slightly diaganally towards the other
  • Design elements from Padstow, Illfracombe and Bude
  • Space enough in the room for bookcases and a modelling desk
  • Home use only - not for exhibition
  • 4mm/OO - too much stock to convert to EM
  • Handbuilt track
  • Something interesting to operate and to look at
  • Up to 3' deep boards
  • Make use of one of TG's turntable fiddles

The railway room was a surprising outcome from what was supposed to be just a ground floor extension... the depth of the building created quiet a roof void and a minor alteration to the gutter height and roof pitch produced a very useable space that also has a 4'x6' dormer.

That's an attractive design brief, Chris. Is there a new project title to enable us to follow progress?

PB

Hi Chris,

Like the railway room, and intrigued by your plans for a new permanent layout. Have you not thought about making the new layout the end of the line from Treneglos, along the lines of Padstow as you mentioned.

Colin