Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning folks and a Happy New Year to you all.

It's nearly a year since I started this thread and, looking back, what a year it has been. Modelling took a huge backseat to coping with major building work on the house but the upside is that I've now got the modelling room I've always wanted. This now means that sections of our layouts, including Treneglos can be worked on and left up without incurring domestic wrath! At the moment there's 2 scenic boards of TG up and one of the fiddleyards is full of some of my partially completed coach building projects. Seeing them all laid out and with the assistance of RMweb being down for a week has spurred me on to start work on them again.

So, in the 'Spams workshops we currently have:

A 3 Set L (D2123 BSK, D2017 CK, D2123 BSK)

A 2 set R (D2123 BSK, D2405 BCK)

A 2 car Restaurant Set (Rebuilt Tavern and Trailer)

4 (yes 4) D2406 BCKs

and a Maunsell SO

Previously I'd made all the roofs, put together a few of the body carcasses and got fairly close to finishing one of the BCKs. In the last week I've built the remainder of the body carcasses, made all the interiors (ready for painting) and made a start on the underframe gubbins. I'm finding that batch building is a good way to make progress - you can research one element for all the coaches (end details, interior layouts, underframe layouts etc) and then apply it to all the coaches en-mass. Soon you find the quickest / best way of carrying out each operation and the amount of re-learning old ropes (as per building one complete coach at a time) is reduced. I'll post some photos when the site is 100% up and running and may even start a separate thread detailing wot I has dun.

Looking forward the the forthcoming 12 months, we're out with TG at two shows and I'll be 'assisting' on Diesels in the Duchy at three shows. (Details in the link in my signature). For the first time in years we don't have one of our layouts at Stafford show this Feb, so we'll be helping Mark and Geoff with New Haden Colliery - a Stafford club layout the three of us helped build more than a few years ago.

Talking of Geoff, he's working quietly away in the background with some MERG electrical gubbinses and has the technology to get our signals working. He's using servo motors and a programmable circuit board thingie and this enables the signals to 'bounce'. We had a demo when TG was at Spalding show with New Haden and we were most impressed.

Well that's all for now folks....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin - I think we're aiming to have 2 signals done by Tonbridge but time will tell - depends on what other bits and bobs we get up to and the Stafford show is the weekend before.

Be sure to say hello and introduce yourself if you are at the show.

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a coach update... the roofs, interiors and seating have all been primed and the interiors and seats painted and glued together as a unit.

I've knocked up a production line of 18* corridor connections using Comet white metal and brass parts. The clipping, filing, joining and cleaning up gets a tad boring after the first 6.... These have now also been primed.

Next job will probably be making up 18* buffer beams, attaching 36 buffers and priming them up.

Slight snag with the 2 Set R which was started 5 years or more ago.... the clear Southern Pride sides had tape applied to them to protect them for nicks and scratches. This was pucka Tamya tape but i'm guessing that 5yrs is a tad too long to leave the tape on as the sticky has remained stucky! Mmmm - scratchy head time.....

post-6675-0-92541200-1326058647_thumb.jpg

*It's 18 not 24 as one coach (the Maunsell SO) uses the Hornby ends and two coaches (D2406 BCK and the Tavern car) had the corridors done about 2 years ago...

Edited by 2ManySpams

Hi Chris,

A belated Happy New Year to you. Will you have the signalling ready for when Treneglos comes to Tonbridge in a few weeks time, will be interesting to see it work (if I get the time <_<)

Colin

Have I got to get worried that they want to see working signals, Hmmm

not much pressure then

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mmmm, nice of Hornby to have announced they will be doing a maunsell so. My rtr bashed version is almost ready for its green paint. Just waiting for Bachmann to announce they are retooling their bulleid coaches now!

Hi Chris,

Will certainly try and get round to see you, think you may find me first as I'm the club secretary and will be trying to get some organization on the day (famous last words). I'm not trying to put any pressure on Geoff to get the signals done, fully understand how chaotic things can be, but should I mention we have a signalling engineer amongst our members!

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Colin - I think we're aiming to have 2 signals done by Tonbridge but time will tell - depends on what other bits and bobs we get up to and the Stafford show is the weekend before.

Be sure to say hello and introduce yourself if you are at the show.

Regards

Chris

Oooh, I'm going to be there! I'll be sure to say hello too. :)

Hi Chris,

Will certainly try and get round to see you, think you may find me first as I'm the club secretary and will be trying to get some organization on the day (famous last words). I'm not trying to put any pressure on Geoff to get the signals done, fully understand how chaotic things can be, but should I mention we have a signalling engineer amongst our members!

Colin

Signalling engineer, well I'll certainly after get the bounce right then.

Don't really understand these signal thingy's had no real experience of operating them being that the layout I usually get involved with operating doesn't have any signals, it is based on an actual location and because it was only one engine in steam allowed there wasn't any requirement to have signals

• Like 2

Does this mean we are nominating Treneglos as the location for the RMWeb meeting point? :mosking:

Well... if our dear beloved leader isn't taking the RMweb stand there... yeah why not? It's a gorgeous layout, easy to spot and we'll all wind up there together to chat.

Does this mean we are nominating Treneglos as the location for the RMWeb meeting point? :mosking:

Just off the top of my head, there will be between 15-20 RM Webbers at the show, either club members, Exhibitiors or Traders, and 3 more layouts with threads on here, I have just put the final listing on the show thread.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Back to modelling (sorry) but the picture uploader seems to be behaving now so.....here's a few photos of the coach production line from the last week:

First the Kirk Maunsell SO sides cut into a Hornby Maunsell RTR coach. The torpedo vents were carefully removed for re-use, the holes filled and vents fitted in the revised locations. I noticed late in the day that the WCs a diagonally opposite each other and that I hadn't moved one of the toilet roof vents - hence the blob of drying green filler. Managed the push out and re-use the Hornby one though.

post-6675-0-79340100-1326051272_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-32216400-1326051284_thumb.jpg

The ends had all the redundant end details removed. Corridor connections come off for re-use (makes masking for the green easier). New Comet white metal electrical connectors have been added in place of the molded on ones.

post-6675-0-52627300-1326051294_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-76234600-1326051302_thumb.jpg

The whole lot was give a coat of Halfords grey primer and there's a spot more filling a filing to do before the top coats go on.

post-6675-0-78048600-1326051315_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-67530600-1326051329_thumb.jpg

Thankfully mine is subtly different to the recently announced Hornby model. This is one of the earlier batch that had continuous solebar footboards and single vents over the WC windows. Not yet decided on the number but it will be in the 1369-1400 range, possibly 1372 as there's a photo of it at Exeter in August 58.

Must remember to fit the door rails, extra bogie footboards.....

Some might consider it a shame to cut up a perfectly good Hornby coach but it was bought with that intention, cheap, and has got me much quicker to the almost completed stage. Plus the underframe, roof, ends and close coupling match the other Maunsell coaches. Will have to make a decision though on Precision vs Railmatch for the green....(or look for a Halfords match!).

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

No it means that the laptop has been 'borrowed' by SWMBO and I'm back surfing on the phone...

Currently sorting out the ride height of the Bulleid D2406 BCK. One end is now spot on the other a tad high.

No it means that the laptop has been 'borrowed' by SWMBO and I'm back surfing on the phone...

Currently sorting out the ride height of the Bulleid D2406 BCK. One end is now spot on the other a tad high.

If you're short of coaches I've got some MK2's in NSE livery in 'OO', not having been converted to EM.

Let me know what you want me to do with them...

On second thoughts - don't