Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Right, got the laptop back from She Who Must Facebook :no:

To start, here's a few of the interiors being batch built. Marking up the bases, adding the internal partitions, priming and spraying a base 'wood' colour (Halfords Ford Tuscan Beige). First class seats were sprayed Halfords Ford Fjord Blue and have since been fixed in the BCKs (4x D2406 and 1x D2405)

post-6675-0-73539200-1326056997_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-76638400-1326057011_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-40345200-1326057024_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-14045300-1326057069_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-08513800-1326057081_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-47003200-1326057138_thumb.jpg

I've also been batch building the underframe equipment bits as separate modules as they are less fiddly and easier to spray up. First they are all marked up (examples are for the D2406s) and then Comet bits added (first stages of the D2123 BSKs for the 3-Set L).

post-6675-0-71182000-1326057049_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-24647500-1326057037_thumb.jpg

And then some batch building of the corridor ends from comet whitemetal and brass bits - seen here all sprayed up.

post-6675-0-98821100-1326057098_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Originally I was going to use the Southern Pride molded plastic underframe trusses but too my eye they look slightly course and on another coach I found the plastic to be quite brittle. On the Bulleid 2-Set R I 'fixed' this by cunningly adding some brass L section to the unseen sides but, to be honest, 3 years later I wasn't happy with the result visually. When I started the D2406 BCK two years ago I therefore decided to make up my own from brass L section. Takes longer but the result is finer and stronger. There's some photos below of the brass vs plastic truss and also the underside of a coach showing where the truss slots in:

post-6675-0-40203300-1326059082_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-90216200-1326059100_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The coach bodies themselves use a lot of Southern Pride plastic parts, their chassis, ends, solebars and clear glazed sides, overlaid with brass Comet sides. The shots below give a general idea of the construction method:

post-6675-0-36653500-1326059753_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-62181500-1326059713_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-11553900-1326059734_thumb.jpg

My original idea was to use the clear sides as the coach glazing but in the last few weeks I realised I wasn't happy with this. It's very difficult to not nick or scratch the clear sides during construction. Putting one protective tape has an issue (and messy residue) if you leave it on for 5 years! You have to make, prime and paint the brass sides completely before gluing them to the plastic and this gives a problem filling gaps at the end etc. Also the SP clear sides a quite thick. All the coaches will have window stickers, corridor rails and some have curtains. A test showed these were visibly too far into the the coach when stuck behind the clear glazing. (Oh and on one of the 2-Set R coaches I had some misting issues from superglue vapours....

So back to the drawing board..... Spurred on by the gunked up red tape left on one of the original project coaches, I decided to bite the bullet and cut sections of glazing out. (Yes, I did try IPA to remove the tape residue but this scratched and slightly clouded the glazing):

post-6675-0-48162500-1326059932_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-35435100-1326059951_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-49787500-1326059971_thumb.jpg

(The coach above has the original, cruder truss frame and the original idea of fixing underframe parts directly to the chassis rather than a sub-assembly)

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So the current state of play is that:

# I've all the roofs done and primed

# All the interiors bar 3 are done - just the second class seats to spray up (Halfords Mazda Classic Red)

# All the main body shells are together

# All the corridor ends are done and primed

# I've got all the Comet sides and bits except the D2318 CK for the 3-Set L and have soldered the bits and bobs to 3 sides

The most complete coach is now the D2406 BCK I started off about 2 years ago. This has had the sides primed, glazing cut out and sides glued on. The underframe module has been attached, the interior is almost ready and it's currently running on some Bachmann Bulleid bogies. I was going to use Comet bogies but, having made some up, can't accept that they are visibly too wide for the coach. Accordingly any steps fixed to them either have to be too thin or just stick out too far. So until I find something better, cheap and cheerful Bachmann Bulleids it is.

It was a tad low on ride height to start with (first 2 photos) but that's now sorted:

post-6675-0-81940100-1326060793_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-60323900-1326060810_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-89749300-1326060826_thumb.jpg

Looking good to get some finished and running for Tonbridge...work permitting!

A few other shots of half of the 2-Set R and the rebuilt Bulleid Tavern Pair

post-6675-0-11289500-1326060919_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-42112300-1326060932_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-91405600-1326060948_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

So the current state of play is that:

# I've all the roofs done and primed

# All the interiors bar 3 are done - just the second class seats to spray up (Halfords Mazda Classic Red)

# All the main body shells are together

# All the corridor ends are done and primed

# I've got all the Comet sides and bits except the D2318 CK for the 3-Set L and have soldered the bits and bobs to 3 sides

The most complete coach is now the D2406 BCK I started off about 2 years ago. This has had the sides primed, glazing cut out and sides glued on. The underframe module has been attached, the interior is almost ready and it's currently running on some Bachmann Bulleid bogies. I was going to use Comet bogies but, having made some up, can't accept that they are visibly too wide for the coach. Accordingly any steps fixed to them either have to be too thin or just stick out too far. So until I find something better, cheap and cheerful Bachmann Bulleids it is.

It was a tad low on ride height to start with (first 2 photos) but that's now sorted:

post-6675-0-81940100-1326060793_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-60323900-1326060810_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-89749300-1326060826_thumb.jpg

Looking good to get some finished and running for Tonbridge...work permitting!

A few other shots of half of the 2-Set R and the rebuilt Bulleid Tavern Pair

post-6675-0-11289500-1326060919_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-42112300-1326060932_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-91405600-1326060948_thumb.jpg

you have certainly been busy Chris, hopefully I will get the chance to see them run in a few weeks time. Nice to see the Bulleids in the background as well. We have a Bullied fan in our club and have told him about your layout so will tell him to pop round to see you at the show.

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Colin, more than happy to talk Bulleids with anyone. Sadly those in the background of some of the coach shots all need running attention. Happily there's around 30 others in the back up pile plus a few Class 22s..

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you have quite a few spam cans... are they generally the Hornby ones?

Not sure if this is the problem but I had a fair few that didn't run well but after playing with the pick up strip under the plastic keep plate of the main chassis, the running greatly improved.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, we do indeed have "2 many spams". Yes they are all Hornby with various parts added and new identities.

I'd agree that the pick up strips are a big cause of running issues. The wheels have all been cleaned and the next stage is a strip down. All added to the job list.

Colin, more than happy to talk Bulleids with anyone. Sadly those in the background of some of the coach shots all need running attention. Happily there's around 30 others in the back up pile plus a few Class 22s..

Thanks Chris, with all those Bulleids available , I will need to check the floor plan to see how close you are to Albert Goodall's stand (its going to be Shirley's last show.)

Colin

• Like 1

Oh yes, we do indeed have "2 many spams". Yes they are all Hornby with various parts added and new identities.

I'd agree that the pick up strips are a big cause of running issues. The wheels have all been cleaned and the next stage is a strip down. All added to the job list.

I fear you may actually have more spams than were actually built in real life.

And yes I know how many that is - to the nearest thousand.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have found the best way is to put a bit of a bend in the part of the pickup that touches the stud under the chassis and clean off the excess oil thats normally on it from new. Upon screwing the plastic keep plate back down it forces the pick up strip to make better contact with the stud. Newer Hornby Bullieds tend to have a bit of a bend formed in them so Hornby obviously found this problem out at some stage. Only a few minutes work, but as you say its another item on the list to do and if you have quite a few then its a fair amount of time.

Would like to have visited the Tonbridge show this year but we are at another show the same weekend with a layout.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris, with all those Bulleids available , I will need to check the floor plan to see how close you are to Albert Goodall's stand (its going to be Shirley's last show.)

Colin

Many of the spams have Albert's bits fitted, so that would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was hoping to get some of the coaches finished for Tonbridge but that's not looking likely. Everything is in grey primer and the chassis, roofs and bodies need spraying their final colours (black, grey and green). I was worried about the damp and temperature in the garage where I do the spraying so did a quick test panel. The naff paint finish confirmed my suspicions that it is indeed to cold and/or damp. Thankfully I've not sprayed a coach otherwise I'd be doing some stripping off (of paint).

So instead today I've fitted some Shawplan laser cut glazing into a Lima CCT. This replaces the 'flush glaze' that was previously fitted and I was never happy with.

I also had a look at fitting the missing motion brackets on one of my Bachmann Ivatt tanks. Dis some preliminary chopping and filing and then noticed that the piston rod comes past the rear of the slide bars and therefore clashes with the motion bracket.... mmmm some more thinking required!

next on the bench has been a Bavhmann N Class - one of the 31813 batch that has the problem with the bendy footplate castings. About 5 years ago I sent off for a replacement casting and finally got around to stripping the old body down and fitting the parts to the replacement footplate. Not an easy task, so I thought I'd make it more difficult by building it back up as one of the locos that received replacement frames, cylinders, outside steampipes and a Std 4 Chimney. This is a kit (SGLP04) available from RT Models to which I've added a Gibson Std 4 chimney . Also, whilst the chassis and footplate were stripped down to component pars, I dug out a Mainly Trains MT254 detailing etch for the N Class. This has replacement parts for the smoke deflectors, lamp irons, fall plate, AWS plate, cab doors and.....cosmetic replacement frames.

It seemed like a good idea at the time......

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I added the motion bracket to my Ivatts I made them out of styrene but they don't quite touch the slide bars thus allowing the piston head to move behind it. However the brackets did eventually break but drilling them and inserting fine brass wire now allows them to bend slightly if the y get moved.

• Like 1

Spams,

This is the green steam engine I'm bringing to Tonbridge.

post-8734-0-17963300-1329078369_thumb.jpg

I've posted it on the Diesels in the Duchy site just in case you miss it.

It should fit in with all those other green engines.....

I am sure that with a bit of work to the body, you can make it into a B4, although a bit off route from Southampton Docks if going to be on Treneglos!

Colin

Edited by ColinW

• RMweb Premium

Just had a PM from fellow BSMRG and SFG member Geoff and he's sent photos of the new signal operation equipment. So hopefully at Tonbridge we'll have the outer signals with added bounce! Smashing stuff and many thanks to Geoff for doing this for us. Will post some photos of the the operation at the weekend, and perhaps a movie if I can work out how.

Edited by 2ManySpams
  • Like 1

Just had a PM from fellow BSMRG and SFG member Geoff and he's sent photos of the new signal operation equipment. So hopefully at Tonbridge we'll have the outer signals with added bounce! Smashing stuff and many thanks to Geoff for doing this for us. Will post some photos of the the operation at the weekend, and perhaps a movie if I can work out how.

What with the BSMRG, SFG, TTFOTTP and HAPPY.

What ever next?