Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

How's the haircut going?

Still on the agenda. Deb's hair is growing back - and still dark at 57, which is nice - but not as quickly as mine does. The last few haircuts, well actually almost all in the last 8 years, have been conducted in a salon at Rugeley, but my reasons for being there have disappeared in recent months, so that is an unlikely venue. And yesterday Deb had a session with the insurers that make it clear we will not be flying round the world on her compensation money, so maybe the Beaufay lady is still my best chance, some time about Easter. Anyway, Winter is trying to make a comeback here this week, so becoming shorn would be quite unpleasant!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colin W is showing just how big that fish was he hauled out of the Medway (between trains) the week before.

The pic where I'm idly studying the storage yard is a bit cruel, because in the background The Laird is doing much the same - but for real - during his solo marathon session on Bradfield.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

We're a bit overdue a report from our last show, Tonbridge, so here we go....

Lizards to Tonbridge - Pt1: A cloud of horsepower....

It was Friday before high noon and the wild west gun slinger Old Gringo arrived at the 'Spams ranch with his trusty steed. Thankfully the not very trusty steed had been left in the wild west. He had made it past the restless natives and had collected some booty en route from the black hills of Blurton. Things were looking up. No time was wasted and the kettle was put on. Smoke signals were sighted to the north east, "I'll be there in 15". It was an Indomitable lone rider.

Gringo signalled that there was time to look over the collected booty. We were mightily impressed with what we saw. (photos to be added) . It was all very impressive and we did our very best to look like we understood it. There was no time to waste and so we had our teas.

The long arduous task of talking rubbish started and we began moving the cargo from its first floor stable lodgings down to the grounds of the ranch. To mark the lone rider's arrival in a cloud of horsepower the sky darkened and the heavens were slightly ajar. Much later, with only 30 shows experience to fall back on, Gringo had the trusty steed loaded in yet another new and exciting way.

We were off, but not before we'd checked that we had NO navigational aids or details of where we were going. When you have a trusty steed and a full posse, who needs such trivial items....?

Wagons were rolling and it was not long before thoughts of a food break came up. In fact it was less than 1/2 a mile. Whilst tucking into a pack of almond slices we decided to try and set a new endurance record for not eating. We set the controls for a secret location south of Oxford and spent the next 90mins talking rubbish and playing 'wind up Old Gringo' in the increasingly uncomfortable trusty steed.

Our stop came into view and then disappeared as Gringo reversed the trusty stead up to the tying rail. Dressed in black, proudly emblazoned with our shiny silver lizards, we walked into the bar. Had there been music it would have stopped as all eyes turned towards the posse from the north. We ordered three glasses of local milk and chose a good defensive position. The Gringo announced that he was on a diet and ordered a chicken and bacon jaw breaker with side of fries. In no time the grits and beans arrived and swiftly departed.

Back on the road and the second leg of our magical mystery tour began. We decided that south and east were the best two directions and headed that way. After much time talking rubbish we spied Mr Sainsbury's pie establishment. That was a good sign. There were however no other wagons at Fort Tonbridge. That was a bad sign. Despite our best efforts we had arrived 3 hours early - truly a lizard posse first!

To be continued.....

HMMMM isn't the suspense waiting for part 2 tremendous, perhaps we are waiting on a building project to be finished :rolleyes:

Colin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Chris I understand the "who called" query that you posted on the TG site now. I'm Dave and would like to say how I've enjoyed looking through the Treneglos pages, also I'm looking forward to seeing the layout at a future exhibition. Have you any in the pipeline?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Chris I understand the "who called" query that you posted on the TG site now. I'm Dave and would like to say how I've enjoyed looking through the Treneglos pages, also I'm looking forward to seeing the layout at a future exhibition. Have you any in the pipeline?

Hi Dave,

The exhibitions our layouts are going to are in my blog here.

I think the nearest to you for Treneglos might be Loughborough later this year.

All the best

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Gosh, we've not been here for a few months! This is in no small part due to this year being mainly committed to other projects such as the BRM project layout - Black Country Blues - and to a lesser extent Diesels in the Duchy. Work and home have been very busy too.

The final outing for TG this year is fast approaching. This is Loughborough show at the end of the month. Further details can be found in the blog link in my signature.

The first and only other outing this year was Tonbridge, where we had the pleasure of a personal visit from Olddudders. This was only a one day show, bringing this year's total for the layout being used to 3 days. At 32' the layout is too big to use at home and so the rest of the time it gathers dust in storage. Next year, with BCB and DitD outings taken into account, it is entirely possible that the old girl will have no outings.

Is it now time for TG to bow out gracefully? Could Loughborough be it's last show?

The reality is that we built the layout 10 years ago. It was our first non-club collaboration and taught us a great deal about layout building and exhibiting. Lessons learnt have gone into DitD and BCB. If we built TG today I suspect it would be in EM, and have deeper boards. I suspect also that we'd have done more research and avoided 'assumption errors' such as incorporating catch points when the NCR had none; not building it originally with a coal yard as again the NCR didn't really have these; and perhaps having some nice concrete post and wire fencing...

Regardless of what's to come in the future, the layout will be going up in sections at home today, tested, cleaned and prepared for the show. So come and see us in two weeks time, it could be the last chance for a while!

• Like 5

Hi Chris,

Apologies, I didn't realise that I'd borrowed your TG moniker for Torr Giffard.

What will you do if Treneglos is retired? Are you considering another similar layout?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1