DCC Concepts Loco Decoders

Hi Spocky,

If you are familiar with the Bachmann 3 function decoders, the 56-553 has a harness with an 8-pin plug on the end and the 56-554 is a 21-pin direct plug-in type.

From the description given, these new decoders are fitted with wires (a harness) and are not the direct plug-in type like a 21-pin or 8-pin Direct. From Richards's description, there is an 8-pin plug on the end of the harness.

The 9 JST refers to the connection between the harness and the decoder.

Some decoders have the harness wires soldered to them and others have a detachable harness. The detachable harness uses a standard 9-pin connector (JST type - with one pin for each of the 9 wires on a 4 function decoder) to connect to the decoder itself.

Therefore if you remove the harness from the decoder, it will have a 9-pin JST plug on one end and an 8-pin plug on the other.

Does that make sense?

• RMweb Gold

John,

can you explain a pricing oddity in the website please?

Small 4 function decoder with stay alive is priced at £20.50 singly and £84.00 for 5

Large 4 function decoder with stay alive is priced at £19.50 singly and £87.50 for 5

Why is the small decoder more expensive singly but cheaper in bulk than its larger counterpart?

Andi

*** Yes, the small decoder will fit some N locos but the plug adds depth which may make it harder in many. we have no firm intention of doing a 6 pin harness at this stage.

We are considering a version without the decoder end plug and if this DOES go ahead its possible to do it with the 6 pin at the loco end... this is by no means certain at this point in time though. The range will continue to slowly grow through 2011

Richard

John,

can you explain a pricing oddity in the website please?

Small 4 function decoder with stay alive is priced at £20.50 singly and £84.00 for 5

Large 4 function decoder with stay alive is priced at £19.50 singly and £87.50 for 5

Why is the small decoder more expensive singly but cheaper in bulk than its larger counterpart?

Andi

Thanks for pointing that out Andi - will be corrected within the next hour. That's what comes of trying to do this about 11.30 pm after a 16 hour day!!

• RMweb Gold

OK, I have one of the small decoders with stay-alive sitting on the desk. I haven't put it in a loco yet, but here are some observations.

• The decoder is TCS M2 sized - like the M2 the JST plug adds to its overall height and means that it won't fit in a Farish N gauge class 66.
  • The stay-alive is smaller than a Lenz Power-1 - about 2/3 the height - and connects to the decoder by 2 wires instead of the Lenz's 3.
  • The stay alive is fitted with really long wires that can be cut to length and joined to wires coming off the decoder. No tricky soldering (the Lenz makes you solder onto small pads on the decoder) and it can be put at the opposite end of the loco to the decoder if necessary.
  • The decoder and stay-alive are sleeved so there should be no awkward shorts to a metal chassis.

Richard, any pricing for Australia yet. (you know the bit that is WET.....in the south)

If the prices from Bromsgrove match in Australian Terms you are onto a winner!

(You can send me a PM if you don't want to put it "out there")

• RMweb Premium

*** Hi all

A quick bit of feedback on the decoders...................

.....................All this is a wee bit premature in a way as I hadn't actually intended to add them to the web until my return from an OS trip early in Feb So far we have 3 models to hand one of them in limited numbers (full productiondelivery only exists for 2 models) with the third only available in limited qtys until later in Feb.. Full initial range of 4 models will not be available until then either...

<ore models will follow later in 2011. We will be shipping to a wider retailer base ASAp, but I really want to introduce them face to face to most dealers, so look for that late Feb

Please be patient, all will be revealed in due course.

regards

Richard

DCCconcepts

This sounds like an excellent product. Cant wait to get my hands on a couple!

Good luck with it Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Well, they've arrived, .......

However, there are no instructions..........................

Hi John,

Can you let me know when you have the instructions sorted and I will be placing my order!

Thanks,

• RMweb Premium

Decoder specs are now in our internet store. Decoder instructions are due for release soon...... I can't divulge more yet, but basic functions work as many of the common decoders around. Reset is CV8 with a value of 2.

Thanks.

Hi

When the instructions are released I think many a novice and pro will be extremely pleased with the "new new" style and ease of use. A totally new approach and even those who find DCC intimidating will be pleased with these instructions. For me it puts a new definition on plug and PLAY.

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Hi

When the instructions are released I think many a novice and pro will be extremely pleased with the "new new" style and ease of use. A totally new approach and even those who find DCC intimidating will be pleased with these instructions. For me it puts a new definition on plug and PLAY.

Martin

Sounds better all the time!

• RMweb Gold

I've got one but until the instructions are available there is only so much that I can try out.

See my earlier post - the smaller one is TCS M2 sized, the stay-alive is smaller than the Lenz equivalent but is only capable of coping with short power interruptions (but unless you have really bad track or a penchant for demonstrating how clever DCC is, that shouldn't be a problem).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived