Mark 1 RMB (Diagram 97)

Bob Reid

This has to be one of the shortest Mark 1(model) conversions in Rmweb history (bar a simple renumbering of course) Converting a Bachmann Mk1 RMB suitable for the most common diagram (98/99) to one built to from the original diagram 97 as first built..

All in, BR Workshops built 82 Restaurant Miniature Buffets (RMB) most of which are well served by the excellent model from Bachmann. The first twelve however (1801-1812, all built to Lot No.30485 at York in 1958 and initially allocated to the Eastern Region) , were constructed two years ahead of the main production Lots, and had a few subtle differences meriting not only a different diagram number, but a few simple changes to the model as supplied by Bachmann.

First off, there was no catering stores cupboard (later located in the larger of the two saloons) meaning one extra seating bay (48 as opposed to 44 seats) and an adjacent bodylight), and a quite different roof layout from that of the later builds. In addition, the Diagram 97 was equipped (although not uniquely for the RMBs) with BR Standard light double bolster bogies as opposed to the later Commonwealths supplied by Bachmann with the model.

This RMB is as supplied by Bachmann, and suitable for Diagrams 98 & 99;

post-6691-0-19449000-1294865962_thumb.jpg

And this by removal of the store cupboard from the interior seating unit, and replacement with a spare 4-seat (2 x 2) bay, and re-instatement of the external bodylight is the diagram 97 vehicle c/w BR1/2 Bogies. Not that difficult to spot the difference!

post-6691-0-37834200-1294865976_thumb.jpg

By far the biggest change, is to the roof layout – In this shot, the original as supplied by Bachmann is shown at the top, and the reworked Diagram 97 at the bottom using parts courtesy Comet, MJT and the proverbial modelling scrap bin;

post-6691-0-54440100-1294866000_thumb.jpg

(Easiest way to spot a Diagram 97 vehicle is to look out for the curved rainstrips over the centre doors)

Still however awaiting some better weather and coat of paint!

During the 1970s all of the diagram 97 vehicles were converted to have the same layout as the Diagram 98 & 99, and were reduced to 44 seats, with the bodylight being removed and bodyside repanelled. Whilst many would appear to have made it into blue and grey as originally constructed all were eventually converted - which of course makes representing one of these vehicles in the later years even easier (only the roof changes then would be needed)!

Very nice Bob,

Certainly adds a bit of variety. Presumably you'll paint this in maroon and this was the only body you had. Otherwise, if the new window aperture is carefully cut out, one could probably keep the applied livery and just find a spare window with matching window bar. I believe the Western region still had a few like this in blue/grey in the early 1970s, as you suggested. Nice roof mods too.

Cheers, Brian.

Thanks Mark & Brian. Yes Brian - I really should have added that with a bit of care (and only repainting the roof and renumbering), the original factory finish can be kept as is........

Not being one to do it the easy way rolleyes.gif and as you do? having a few B&G RMBs floating about and some suitable spare maroon painted bodylights - I chose to change it to BR Maroon (hopefully to represent an RMB from the post 62 period (I'm sure Robert will correct me on this) for use in the Craigentinny based 'Talisman' set.

What did you use to get a nice cutout for the extra window? I keep putting off modding my choc/cream RU for the WR..

The seating says 48 and 48 btw, I assume one of those is out by 4 but not sure which one ottomh!

Cheers Craig (seating bit now corrected). For cutting the extra window, I extended a (3H pencil) line along from the the top and bottom of the bodylights to the left, and using the other side of the vehicle laid over the top of the one to be cut, marked through again in pencil the new bodylight position to the same adjacent window spacing. It was cut out using a fretsaw with a fine blade, before cleaning up but avoiding going anywhere near the curves till last and doing these with a needle file that fortunately was near the correct diameter.....

When i altered the windows on my (and other people's !) Bachmann WR RUs, changing the one to the wider 4' size on the corridor side, from memory you only had to enlarge to the left. I marked with ink on the inside of the final edge, that way you can remove most of the unwanted material with confidence and then slow down and get the final edge straight and vertical, using the new window as a gauge. As Bob said, leave the corners till last and file inwards only to avoid ripping the outside finish. You can mimic the corridor handrail on the RU with black or brown tape, painting the inside edge of the window is optional.

If you want to correct Bachmann's RU prototype W1900 (in crimson and cream), you need to alter a second corridor window to 4' width, which is a bit more difficult. Doing what Bob has done with his RMB needs even more care, since you'd be cutting four sides and four corners. I'd try a RU first !

HTH. Cheers, Brian

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Bob. Must be the time of year for Mk1s!!

I think your new window aperture is particularly well achieved. I would have cheated and tried to find the appropriate sides from Comet or similar.

Look forward to seeing the maroon finish.

36E

• 5 years later...

Hi Bob,

I hope that you can help me. I am putting together a 7mm Diagram 97. I have the two large round roof vents but not the small round or rectangular one. Would you be able to take some close up pics for me to fake them.

Thank you

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

I hope that you can help me. I am putting together a 7mm Diagram 97. I have the two large round roof vents but not the small round or rectangular one. Would you be able to take some close up pics for me to fake them.

Thank you

Martin

Who's kit are you building Martin? Are you going to post some photos ?

Hi Bob,

Thank you

Martin

Photo of the real thing to follow Martin.....

​Robert Carroll's photo refers.....

Archived