How Many Named Locos to Have "At Home"

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Fictitious GWR urban "just to the W of Paddington", mid to late 40s. Through Up and Downs for expresses and local goods as well.

I have a nice selection of named engines, the majority of which were Old Oak Common shedded at the time, however I have a Hall, a Saint and a 4-6-0 County which all hail from elsewhere.

Part of me says re-name the remainder to OOC shedded engines (to some names which appeal more to me than the RTR names).

Part of me says that engines shedded elsewhere would have been passing through on the Up leg, so there should be a sprinkling of passing visitors.

Please can I have your thoughts.

There was apparently no shortage of OOC engines working quite far West(Devon) in the 1950's - some even "borrowed" for local workings before being returned.

I'm not sure about earlier GWR practice but, as you say, engines from other GWR sheds must have worked into Paddington in considerable numbers - from Bristol, Oxford, the Birmingham area and from further to the West.

There must be some non-OOC GWR loco names that are attractive.

I would have thought it might actually be unprototypical to have all OOC allocated engines.

Oh how I wish I had kept my notes for Old oak, having visited the shed many times in the early 60's. But what I remember, the only day in the week where the majority of locos on shed were home allocated was a Sunday, otherwise there was always a healthy variety from many of the other sheds on the Western region.

• RMweb Premium

You would expect see locos from many different sheds, trains from the South West would have regularly been hauled by locos from Plymouth, Newton Abbot or other sheds, however you would have been unlikely to have seen locos from the Cornish sheds, and conversely locos from further East that Newton Abbot seem to have been noted as being unusual in Cornwall.

Realistically, unless modelling Sunday, have a mix representing the principal locations that OOC allocated locos worked to. Crudely, for every OOC worked down train to Bristle or wherever, there has to be a balancing up working, and at the start of the week these would come up with a 'foreign' loco on. Since 'all roads led to Paddington' on the Western you may be able to see for a small class like the Kings that OOC had say 30% of the class and the rest allocated at X, Y, Z... ; so at any random moment during the working week , of the Kings on view in the area 30% would be OOC, and the others 'visitors' in just proportion to their X, Y, Z allocations.

Archived