Parkside Dundas LNER Horsebox

• RMweb Premium

You have the part of the brake linking the two v hangers the wrong way up it should be the same way as the photo above, if the brake lever is pulled down it would release the brakes rather than putting them on.

David

Oh thanks Dave. I thought I'd copied Coachman's version in his pics but I must be going bonkers (probably trying to think up silly horse related terms).

Out comes the knife!!!!!Original pic replaced!!

:wub:

P

• 1 year later...

Dear all

Just made a 7mm one whilst sitting on a beach in the Maldives! Went together very well, although it took me a while to realise that the glazing was 'stickable' with conventional polystyrene glue! Didn't follow the instructions too precisely and had pre coloured all the outside parts.

A question - does anyone know how the grooms compartment was finished? I'm after what colour the walls would be, and the seat. I don't know enough about 3rd class LNER stock, and would assume these would be similar.

Thanks

Paul Bartlet

• Like 1

Just made a 7mm one whilst sitting on a beach in the Maldives!

That requires some medal for dedication to modelling, especially if you packed your paints and airbrush as well as glue.

I think I'd end up dead or divorced if I even suggested doing something like that.

Don't know much about coach interiors but my best guess is that it wasn't anything luxurious. A quick splash of paint probably the same as on the interior of horse's vestibule and as for comfy seats there would always be a spare horse blanket?

• Like 1

If similar to 3rd class stock, grained timber walls and red/black moquette seats. I think I took a guess and painted the compartment walls on mine cream. In 4mm I just use a dark red for the seats; there may be a better way to do it in 7mm.

Jonathan

Thanks, it is what I had guessed at - a dark red like BR used for its early years. I'm confused, a timber wall would be quite dark, so cream? Although I had thought a lightly painted wall - or even that Roxene stuff the LNER used - might have been used as I would imagine keeping these even reasonably clean would be quite difficult.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

That requires some medal for dedication to modelling, especially if you packed your paints and airbrush as well as glue.

I think I'd end up dead or divorced if I even suggested doing something like that.

No, the painting is done at home but I take a reasonable kit with me. They don't get totally finished but I achieved 95-99% also on Parkside rivetted LNER 21 ton hopper & GWR Mogo and a Slaters LMS Cattle wagon. Being totally away from any computer, no wagons to photograph and no rock bands to get drunk to almost all of my modelling has been achieved on holidays for the past 20 years.

As to divorce, you are talking of a woman who spent weeks of her life hanging around in freight yards (and after the kids came along alongside the yards), holding tape measures etc. My life partner was very carefully selected at 17! [and she subsidised the film, petrol, motor caravans etc. etc.] http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmowtmineral/e131de16e :sungum:

But, back on topic, what is the difference between reading a book and modelling between snorkelling swims?. It is on the equator and neither of us sit out for long periods in the direct sun. What I did improve on this year was the packaging of the finished kits - I took out a selection of the excellent plastic boxes that Persil clothes washing tabs come in - they are amazingly good, the smallest is perfect for 17ft. 6in oh 7mm wagons and the larger are suitable for longer wagons.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 4

My memory from "cabbing" the horse boxes when they came into the yard was that the entire interior was a dark maroon. The wall painted and the seat, if you could call it that, a dark maroon cloth. The groom who travelled with the horse was pretty low on the totem pole so no luxuries for him.

• Like 1

My memory from "cabbing" the horse boxes when they came into the yard was that the entire interior was a dark maroon. The wall painted and the seat, if you could call it that, a dark maroon cloth. The groom who travelled with the horse was pretty low on the totem pole so no luxuries for him.

Well, compared to the average passenger I think they had quite a lot of luxury - a seat and a loo, the former was (remains) rarely available to commuters and there were plenty of long distance trains - especially excursion specials and those commuter trains - where a loo was a very special facility! :O

But, thanks very much for the suggestion they were quite dark. That would fit well with the ideas of suitable internal decoration which lasted well into BR days - the Mark 1 coaches may had different woods for each compartment, with a description of the origin of the wood, but they were mostly very dark.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well Paul at least you will have a few pics to which you can refer.......... :onthequiet:

I thank you kind reader for liking this and letting me re read my silliness.

P @36E

Having carefully painted mine in Crimson one of the Ebor club members mentioned seeing one in c1958 still in teak - well he did say largely in weathered wood.. which would have been ideal for my period.

Paul Bartlett

Edited by hmrspaul

• 5 years later...

Just had one arrive.

Looks ok, some minor flash, it comes with moulded handrails and door handles !! The same problem is on the Chivers Pigeon Van blink.gif Why do they still do this ??

Does anyone know of a source for LNER White lettering " Return to Newmarket " decals ? I presume the Cambridge version is in Yellow ???

Any progress on the white LNER transfers - I can do the lettering and numbering but the ‘return to’ sets defeat me...?

• 1 year later...
On 08/05/2011 at 18:02, micklner said:

Ready for varnish then glazing and done.:yahoo:

post-7186-0-83678600-1304874124_thumb.jpg

Detail added to the underframe

post-7186-0-89891900-1304874133_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Mick,  I appreciate this was a heck of a long time ago, but do you recall where you found accurate transfers for the LNER horsebox? Or did you paint on the white lettering by hand?

I've used the past few evenings of self-isolation to knock together my own. It's the first piece of rolling stock I've ever built, about time too. Pretty rough around the edges and the roof needs a second coat of paint then fixing down (once I've weighted the interior with some liquid gravity) but for a first attempt I'm oddly proud. Had plenty of help and tips from RMweb as per. 

IMG_9617.jpg.a101a0e82c2fd4ba1b0d334833021edd.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg.a365bcda249d425c4b6283613940dcd4.jpg

Cheers,

Ollie

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OliverBytham said:

Hi all,

Mick,  I appreciate this was a heck of a long time ago, but do you recall where you found accurate transfers for the LNER horsebox? Or did you paint on the white lettering by hand?

I've used the past few evenings of self-isolation to knock together my own. It's the first piece of rolling stock I've ever built, about time too. Pretty rough around the edges and the roof needs a second coat of paint then fixing down (once I've weighted the interior with some liquid gravity) but for a first attempt I'm oddly proud. Had plenty of help and tips from RMweb as per. 

IMG_9617.jpg.a101a0e82c2fd4ba1b0d334833021edd.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg.a365bcda249d425c4b6283613940dcd4.jpg

Cheers,

Ollie

I don't know where the makers transfers came from in 2011, but now Peco manufacture the Parkside range, they include transfers made by Modelmaster. These are available separately from Modelmaster and for the LNER horsebox they are ref MMPC83, currently available but limited stock, at £3.15. I assume you want LNER period, the Modelmaster site doesn't show the periods covered for this set, but other pre nationalisation sets cover the pre 1948 and post nationalisation period. Cambridge Custom Transfers also make transfers but only for the BR steam period.

• Thanks 1

From memory the supplied transfers only cover the BR era (and the 'return to' lettering is far too large).  For BR you can't look past CCT's sheet and for LNER as Mick has said, the HMRS wagon sheet will do almost everything you need.  If you want the very small dimensional lettering then that's available from Precision Decals.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm if there is a page 2 in the instructions - I've just opened up a kit and seem to be missing one page. .

Normally I'd contact Peco but they are all closed down at the moment.

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I have just opened up a brand new kit and found the same as you Gilbert.

All sheets are single-sided.  There is one page of "Assembly Instructions" where the final "Body details" section does seem to be shorter than I'd expect.  There is an assembly diagram sheet "Page 3" and a transfers layout sheet "Page 4".

The text seems to cover most of the numbered parts but not all.  It is almost as if one extra paragraph would cover it.  Further study is required but, based on the diagrams, I think I can work out where the parts not mentioned go.  However, it would be reassuring to have a "Page 2".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, teaky said:

I have just opened up a brand new kit and found the same as you Gilbert.

All sheets are single-sided.  There is one page of "Assembly Instructions" where the final "Body details" section does seem to be shorter than I'd expect.  There is an assembly diagram sheet "Page 3" and a transfers layout sheet "Page 4".

The text seems to cover most of the numbered parts but not all.  It is almost as if one extra paragraph would cover it.  Further study is required but, based on the diagrams, I think I can work out where the parts not mentioned go.  However, it would be reassuring to have a "Page 2".

I'm doing the same thing at the moment!

• Funny 1

On 16/01/2011 at 13:27, hmrspaul said:

.... there is an exceptionally nice Don Rowland photograph in Larkin, David (1978) BR General parcels rolling stock Pictorial survey. Bradford Barton Ltd, Cornwall ISBN 0 85153 320 5, 64 pages. It is on page 46, of E2242E.

That pic would suggest that the walls of the groom's compartment are a lighter colour, so I've painted mine cream as suggested by others, with the seat to be dark red.

Does anyone have any info on where the toilet door was from the groom's compartment - centred or to one side, and if so which ?

I've never been convinced about the toilet window vent on this kit, and plan to make up my own - see the top pic on the next page of the Bradford Barton book Paul refers to, showing the LNER horsebox in the bacground with the toilet window vent at the nearer end.

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Extra info.