RTR O Gauge Steam Locomoive from Heljan?

Stephen Lacey (92245)

Morning All,

This is a bit of a speculative post seeing as I will openly admit to putting two and two together and not really being sure of the outcome! Anyway, reading in one of the model railway magazines (either Model Rail or Railway Modeller), there was an article about Heljan's latest products and forthcoming releases, where it loosly stated that Heljan were going to move into a new territory from what they had previously been in. That combined with looking on the Hejlan website where under their Danish pages they are producing what I presume is a Danish 4-4-2 in O Gauge, has got me wondering (hoping) that we could finally see a RTR steam loco for the UK market manufactured from injection moulded plastic.

I have no intention of turning this thread into a wishlist, but perhpase if Heljan were to produce a WD 2-8-0, very much like Bachmann did with the 4mm version, they could market this to the Scandanavian counties which also used them post WW2.

Anyway, what I am more interested in, is to know whether anyone has heard any rumours that Heljan are to start producing RTR Steam in O gauge?

Regards,

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Ooh what an exciting time to come back to O gauge! I left about 8 years ago to play in the garden with G but here I am casting loving glances at a newly acquired O Heljan 37 on a nearby shelf...

I noticed that news too, about "new territory" and can only think it'll be steam...because it's not something they've done in 00 either (?) Here's wishing for a RTR pacific for £499 :)

Also...I wonder if Bachmann, having given up on O brass, have seen Heljan's plastic success and fancy a bit of the pie? Pleasant thoughts! :D

• 6 months later...

Well the new direction is definetly Oo gauge steam.

As for brassworks Bachmann gave this range up and there now all under the San cheng fine scale brass range.

I spoke to Heljan about a year ago and they said they would probably do a O class 31 and there's been talk about a O western aswell.

Archived