Turntable colouring, BR (Western)

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

What colour(s) would a turntable such as now found preserved on the West Somerset Railway at Minehead have been painted in BR(W) days, c. 1960?

http://www.flickr.co...ove/2938745211/

I guess the current colour is representing GWR. Would it have stayed the same after nationalisation or been repainted?

Thanks,

Apollo

The girders of our local one were painted all over WR cream in, I think, 1956 (if I'm remembering the station repainting date correctly). PS the table was little used and the colour simply got paler and 'chalkier' as the paint weathered - more or less as it did on timber.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stationmaster!

When you say "girders" do you mean *all* of the structure above the rail level was painted cream. i.e. no chocolate/brown at all?

Apollo

The side girders were entirely cream, no other colour. I vaguely remember the wheels as just being dirty blackish and the deck was probably timber.

PS As it is over 50 years since it was done away with I've just checked a book illustration which shows it and can confirm that all the metalwork was the same colour.

• RMweb Gold

Location seems to have no bearing on paint styles in BR days. I have found examples of three different styles of painting being used on over girder turntables in the same Division in BR days with the most common of the three being all over cream for the girders above deck level. It might have been done differently elsewhere and I suspect it might well have depended on the Painting Gang Foreman or the amount of time/money allowed for the job as much as anything else - and one example from the BR period with 'picked out' (in a darker colour) framing shows a slightly different application of the dark paint from the original GWR application!

The painting of the girder at Minehead seems to be similar to the GWR style in vogue c.1906/7 although photos from that period show a much darker 'dark colour' than is apparent at Minehead although that could be due to the type of film emulsion as much as to the paint tones; that style accords with that described in 'Great Western Way' - which also notes that, exceptionally, some turntable girders were painted bridge grey (a latterday example being Laira).

• RMweb Gold

TIn the early 1960s the Didcot turntable girders were all one colour above rail level with nothing picked out in darker paint - I suspect that's possibly shadow or - much more likely - build-up of grime on top of the girder. The Oxford table appears from contemporary photos to have originally been painted in the scheme quoted in 'Great Western Way' with only the panels between the frames done in a paler colour - as can be seen in the pic above this had changed by its final days with not all of the framing picked out in the darker paint (what shows up in the above pic as darker on the line of rivets for the girder framing is shadow as other pics make much clearer) but the angled bracing was, as the pic shows, definitely painted darker together with the top and bottom flanges

Great photos Dave, so typical of both locations in BR days. I'm sure I've seen photos of Banbury's turntable in similar condition, although in black and white, IIRC the top and side girders were in a darker colour than the vertical panels, as per Didcot and Oxford. Like Oxford, Banbury's table seemed to be positioned out in the middle of a field! The outline of the pit is still there today at Banbury, as are the exposed foundations of all the buildings.

Nidge ;)

• RMweb Gold

I've just found and uploaded another couple of Oxford pics, and added them to my previous post, to keep them together. The Hall pic is in cloudier conditions, and I think it shows that there are 2 colours. The angle iron, the flange and the channel bracing seem to be painted a darker colour. Also the end of the web is painted the darker colour with a curved edge.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Dave, so typical of both locations in BR days. I'm sure I've seen photos of Banbury's turntable in similar condition, although in black and white, IIRC the top and side girders were in a darker colour than the vertical panels, as per Didcot and Oxford. Like Oxford, Banbury's table seemed to be positioned out in the middle of a field! The outline of the pit is still there today at Banbury, as are the exposed foundations of all the buildings.

Nidge ;)

Nidge, Judging from the 10 b&w photos of the detail of it in London Division Engine Sheds the top girder surface at Didcot was painted in exactly the same (pale) colour as everything else above deck level although the ends where the girders sloped down were quite dirty on some of the girders. The surfaces of the top girders look much darker in a 1964 picture of a loco being turned but this could be due to shadow or dirt build-up (the first 10 pics are undated but most likely some years earlier having been taken by Roye England and Jim Russell). It is of course quite possible that the turntable received a lick of paint at some time and the top of the girder was given a different colour but I do wonder about that as the bottom at the end is clearly much paler under the while the angled straps at the side are in shadow - they were very clearly painted in the paler colour in the earlier pics.

Further delving through various books reveals the following -

Definitely two colours - Oswestry c. mid 1950s, Truro 1956, Exeter 1962, (note all of these have the angled support metalwork as at Oxford)

Clearly one colour but top girder surface very dirty - Machynlleth mid 1950s (note this table does not have the angled side framing and has timber staging on top of the centre of the girder),

Clearly one colour, top girder surface clean - Henley mid 1950s (note this table does not have the angled side framing and has timber staging on top of the centre of the girder, bottom flange is possibly in a slightly darker colour),

Apparently one colour but bottom flange might be darker - Stafford Road late 1950s (note this table does not have the angled side framing)

Well, here it is. Moretoncombe's turntable.

My first ever scratch-build (of anything, ever!), so please be gentle with your comments, once the laughter subsides!

Clearly on a bare layout with no scenery yet, so please ignore the backdrop.

Still to do: weathering, turntable surrounds including circular rail, signs.

My own criticism: girder tops between steps are a bit too high - driver would have to step up from cab onto table. Cream colour is rather richer than shown in the real photo's, but I reckon weathering will tone it down if needed?

post-7714-0-82962900-1295713503_thumb.jpg

post-7714-0-82050000-1295713463_thumb.jpg

post-7714-0-60450200-1295713516_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Apollo

'What do we think...?'

Well I think that's fantastic Apollo! It really looks the part, especially with the handrails, ladders etc.

Mike - thanks for the additional info.... regarding Truro's table, judging from all of the photos I have to hand (Bradford Bartons etc) it looks like it kept it's two tone scheme until the shed closed.

Must dig out my 'London Div Sheds' and have a perusal too ;)

Nidge

• RMweb Gold

My comment from yesterday appears top have got stuck in a loop somewhere in the ether. It's looks a really nice job although this type of table is as per the Henley and Machynlleth style so the vertical framing etc was not picked out in a darker colour. They are the only tables of that sort that I've so far found pics off so others might be different.

• RMweb Gold

Just found this on the bay of all things 'e'...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item230da28e08

Appears to be painted in a shade similar to GWR Dark Stone.

Nidge

It might possibly be what was called 'Mid Stone' (says he without checking the book but having previously seen a reference to it being used on turntables). Whichever the colour looks to be fairly true judging by the loco etc and it looks like the only colour on the girder etc structure (? the bottom flange - not too clearly visible). Definitely more to this than a first visit might suggestrolleyes.gif

Thanks for the kind comments, that's encouraging. rolleyes.gif

I was basing it on the photo (linked below) of West Country "Lynton" at Swindon in April '64. It looks to be the same type of table as I have modelled, similar to that now at Minehead.

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net/p45829154.html

Apollo

My comment from yesterday appears top have got stuck in a loop somewhere in the ether. It's looks a really nice job although this type of table is as per the Henley and Machynlleth style so the vertical framing etc was not picked out in a darker colour. They are the only tables of that sort that I've so far found pics off so others might be different.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comments, that's encouraging. rolleyes.gif

I was basing it on the photo (linked below) of West Country "Lynton" at Swindon in April '64. It looks to be the same type of table as I have modelled, similar to that now at Minehead.

http://geoff-plumb.f.../p45829154.html

Apollo

Interesting that. The Swindon Works turntable near A Shop (the one in that pic) always appears to be quite 'decorative' in photos although I couldn't find any decent ones of it from the steam era and I wonder if it got 'special' attention and the full job in view of its position? But you clearly have a protototype so there's your answerwink.gif.

Interesting that. The Swindon Works turntable near A Shop (the one in that pic) always appears to be quite 'decorative' in photos although I couldn't find any decent ones of it from the steam era and I wonder if it got 'special' attention and the full job in view of its position? But you clearly have a protototype so there's your answerwink.gif.

Well Mike, the Swindon 'table is still there, although I dare say it's had a few coats of paint over the years. Must have a proper look next time I'm down there... I can feel a 'works jolly up' comng on!

I must have stood next to it countless times when the Works was still open, not paying any attention to it, instead drooling over D818 stood nearby :wub:

When I get my behind into gear and build my Dapol 'table I'll be finishing it WR choc / cream, with a fair bit of filth on top no doubt.

Nidge

• RMweb Gold

Well Mike, the Swindon 'table is still there, although I dare say it's had a few coats of paint over the years. Must have a proper look next time I'm down there... I can feel a 'works jolly up' comng on!

I must have stood next to it countless times when the Works was still open, not paying any attention to it, instead drooling over D818 stood nearby :wub:

When I get my behind into gear and build my Dapol 'table I'll be finishing it WR choc / cream, with a fair bit of filth on top no doubt.

Nidge

The last time I looked the Swindon one was painted a sort of whitish colour with the framing picked out in blueohmy.gifangry.gif If you find the Dapol plastic not to your taste Nidge I do have a small stock of genuine Airfix turntable kits - 'mint boxed, never opened … suit keen collector .. etc'

Guest 838rapid

Here are some pictures I took a while ago of the Swindon Turntable.

As I recall its in Green and Cream.

Am down Swindon soon for a Funeral so will check that out

post-7937-0-99589100-1295915603_thumb.jpg

post-7937-0-04940200-1295915618_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

IIRC There is a photo in the E Lyons book of GWR/Western Region Sheds which shows a table with chocolate and cream side panels - The main girder work seems to be black, then the "infill panels" are cream on the outer edge but most of the infil panel is a chocolate rectangle with a 1/4 circle cut out of each corner.

Archived