GWR 8 Wheel Tender

ianwales

Finished at last My version of the Collett 8 wheeled tender in 00 using my 3D printed chassis, Gibson wheels and a Hornby tender top. Just need to change the identity of the loco pulling it.

Why? As far as its owners were concerned, it was just another 4000 gallon tender, and by the 20th century, GWR tenders were fully interchangeable. Similarly, whenever it went in for Works attention, it would be fitted with whatever wheels were available of the right size, capacity and journal dimensions.

Jim

Why? As far as its owners were concerned, it was just another 4000 gallon tender, and by the 20th century, GWR tenders were fully interchangeable. Similarly, whenever it went in for Works attention, it would be fitted with whatever wheels were available of the right size, capacity and journal dimensions.

Jim

But surely we know exactly what locomotives pulled it? They are listed further up the thread.

Jason

But surely we know exactly what locomotives pulled it? They are listed further up the thread.

Jason

We might do, but the whole point is that that tender could have been coupled to any number of locomotives in its time, and the actual allocation was very much a matter of chance. Locomotives and tenders went through Works independently and got paired up on a next available basis. So you can either follow reality slavishly, or do what the railway would have done and simply model what is entirely plausible.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Jim

This castle was a damaged duplicate originally bought as spares but aside from minor damage to the cab and a missing name plate it wasn't too bad. I've now replaced the cab and plate with one from the spares box but none of them match! so will need to change it to something coherent!

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone have information which will help me identify the correct livery for 6951 which was given the 8 wheel tender after The Gloucestershire Regiment, and before 5068 Beverston Castle.

There are lots of photos of this tender in BR livery, but few in GWR.

From other info I gather that Beverston gained the tender in April 48.  5017 got a 6 wheeler in Dec 45.

So (Impney Hall) 6951 had the 8 wheeler from about Dec 45 to Apr 48 , which is before the engine was named, got a heavy and presumably got a green repait and cab windows.

So 6951 was black with probably an unlined Green G**W 8 wheel tender   OR    Unlined black G**W 8 wheel tender

Any help in confirming please?

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/11/2019 at 05:16, M.I.B said:

Does anyone have information which will help me identify the correct livery for 6951 which was given the 8 wheel tender after The Gloucestershire Regiment, and before 5068 Beverston Castle.

There are lots of photos of this tender in BR livery, but few in GWR.

From other info I gather that Beverston gained the tender in April 48.  5017 got a 6 wheeler in Dec 45.

So (Impney Hall) 6951 had the 8 wheeler from about Dec 45 to Apr 48 , which is before the engine was named, got a heavy and presumably got a green repait and cab windows.

So 6951 was black with probably an unlined Green G**W 8 wheel tender   OR    Unlined black G**W 8 wheel tender

Any help in confirming please?

Thanks

On 21/01/2011 at 04:07, Coach bogie said:

I need to question the running order of these locomotives. Photo eveidence shows 5068 with the tender at Nationalisation whereas 6951 was running with it in 1956 several years after 4043 had been cut up.post-9992-0-90311700-1295536050_thumb.jpg

@M.I.B this post says that 6951 was running with it only after nationalisation. Beveraton Castle ran with it at nationalisation. 

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2019 at 06:27, Hilux5972 said:

@M.I.B this post says that 6951 was running with it only after nationalisation. Beveraton Castle ran with it at nationalisation. 

There is some very conflicting information about this unit:  It's GWR days are fairly well documented on easily accessible sites (BR Database) but it's BR days aren't so well defined.

Even in this post there are allocations missing from some people's lists, and other lists are in possibly the wrong order:  Examples include:

1.  6905 Claughton Hall gets a mention in some places and doesn't in others. (There are references to photos of Claughton Hall).

2.   4093 Dunster Castle is listed in some references , but the BR database  entry for  Dunster Castle does not list this tender from ever having been fitted.

3.  5904 Kelham Hall is listed as having been associated with the 8 wheeler in some references, but not others.

4.  7904 Fountains Hall is associated with the 8 wheeler in some references, but not others.

Beverston is a definite "milestone" in the series because of the "British Railways" script on the tender.  April 48 onwards.

So where was the 8 wheeler allocated from Dec 45 to Apr 48?  (5017 received 6 wheeler #2615 in Dec 45)

Edited by M.I.B
Added more detail.