First Tram

Brian Harrap

Hello, Coachman, Dennis and Chris. Thank you for your comments, I am pleased that you like my trackwork. Yes Dennis it does take a while to do but as I enjoy track building so much this is hardly a problem. I have found myself at times just building a bit of trackwork for its own sake and to keep my hand in as it were. As for more pics Chris I'll see if I can find any more decent ones in due course. Regards, Brian.

I've managed to find another tram picture of QUAI:87. Bit of a fudge this one as the tram is actually standing on a section of heavy dock rail, QUAI:87 incorporates both types, the tramway type proper being much finer, a piece is just visible under the tram. I hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment, Brian.

post-5773-0-60306500-1295435119_thumb.jpg

Thank you Horsetan, (and others) pleased you enjoyed the Z, I'm taking the Pz ZOBhafen layout to the Houten show in March to see what the Dutch make of it. The cobbles, Nick are all hand carved as you say, mostly scribed around one and five pence pieces - having enough change to do large areas is the bugbear though. Regards, Brian. Fish heads bah!

Hello Simon, thankyou for your kind comments. The QUAI:87 layout on which these cobbles and track appear is to, well 1:87 scale using proto standards for the track and flangeways. I find working as close to exact scale as I can reasonably get actually makes fancy bits of track like this easier to do as no compromises have to be made for oversise wheel flanges.

Regards, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

The whole of the trackwork on this layout is astonishing - you really do have to see it to believe it.

Apparently 'Mr Media' has taken a few shots for a magazine, due out sometime this year, maybe.

Meanwhile, my not so perfect view :

post-7025-0-85600000-1296048177_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Horsetan, (and others) pleased you enjoyed the Z, I'm taking the Pz ZOBhafen layout to the Houten show in March to see what the Dutch make of it. ....

Brian: on the off-chance, do you have P87 wheel profile form tools? I've been trying to locate these without success.

Sorry Horsetan, no P87 profile tools. Never have had any. It's all been seat of the pants handcrafted stuff here in ZOBland. I did have a piece some time ago in the Dec 84 CM (golly was it as long ago as that) that gave an idea of my wheel turning methods, worked OK for me then and still does. Not as difficult as you might think. I do all my Pz and scaleseven by hand the same way - even the P20 in the garden. Regards, Brian.

• 2 months later...

I didn't rise early enough to catch the first tram today but as it was a nice morning I did go for a wander around the quays and was lucky enough to get this shot of a load of coal (I guess) being delivered across the bridge from QUAI:87 to the power station (or somesuch place) over the other side by this dinky little Breuer shunter. One day I'll pluck up courage to climb up onto the elevated to take an overall shot of the quays, Mr Stationmaster seems to have managed it. The extremely wide gauge rails buried in the concrete used to serve a travelling crane arrangement and maybe will again one day. Sorry about the missing A on the old bridge - read it like in 'Sunshine Desserts' Regards, Brian.

post-5773-0-34663600-1303729709_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I hope that Brian doesn't mind but here are a couple of snaps of ZOB Hafen P220 (Proto Z) that I took at this year's Houten show in the Netherlands. Track gauge (IIRC) is 9mm and the Pzm tram trackage (in the first pic, from the bottom LH corner at a 1 o'clock direction) is 6mm gauge,

post-6728-0-08860400-1303733587_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-95529800-1303733616_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I hope that Brian doesn't mind but here are a couple of snaps of ZOB Hafen P220 (Proto Z) that I took at this year's Houten show in the Netherlands. Track gauge (IIRC) is 9mm and the Pzm tram trackage (in the first pic, from the bottom LH corner at a 1 o'clock direction) is 6mm gauge,

post-6728-0-08860400-1303733587_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-95529800-1303733616_thumb.jpg

9mm would make it N Gauge. Actually I believe the correct figures are 6.5 and 4.5mm.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brian,

Excellent stuff, who makes the twin armed traction pole and what is the height to the wire and top of the pole please.

Sorry I haven't got back to you about this before but I've only just come across your post, guess I should check more often although I must admit I thought this thread was asleep. Anyway thanks for your interest - all the overhead line masts on QUAI:87 are handbuilt (by me), telescopic brass tubing, piano wire and ph/bronze strip curled up to make the twirly bits and some glass beads from the craft shop to represent the insulators. The contact wire (24 swg piano wire - which is rigid between masts, ie not tensioned) is 70mm above rail level. The whole oh system on the layout is lift offable in one piece - wires and masts all still fixed together - to facilitate transport to exhibitions. The tram runs back and forth on a shuttle thingy and adds a new dimension to shunting on the quayside where heavy rail crosses the tram tracks. QUAI:87 will be at scaleforum in Sept. If you can make it come and say hello. Best regards, Brian.

Archived