First Tram

Brian Harrap

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brian, I'm intrigued to know what P20 is. I love odd scales like 5.5mm and 8mm. Please enlighten me

Hello Ian, sorry to have been so long getting back to you. 1/20th scale is what's used by Bachman for the Shay and other large scale models in their (logging) range. They call it G scale which is used for so many other large scale models of differing scales to be meaningless. The 'P' part is because I use 'P'rotoscale wheels and trackwork on my logging line in the garden. Hope this helps, regards, Brian.

Brian,

May I ask what you used for rails on your Proto-Z/P220 track, please?

Nick

Of course you may Nick. I used code 40BH rail, I think from Markway or possibly Micro Engineering. It's way overscale for Z of course but all I could get, the 2mm FS plain strip didn't appeal and is still oversize for Z. I reduced the apparent bulk of the head of the rail by repeatedly drawing through my fingers against some 400grit wet an dry. Also I buried quite a bit of it in quayside cobbles and concrete on Zobhafen. Sleepers are Nscale copperclad reduced in width. Thank you for your interest, Brian.

Ps are you going to try a bit of Pz?

post-5773-0-70929400-1358883101_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Brian. I've been wondering whether you could get away with code 40. That photo shows it is a bit bulky, but far better than any of the off-the-shelf track. Am I going to try it? Well, let's say I'm rather tempted. At present I'm hovering between exploring what can be done with the standard wheels and turning my own. Do you start from scratch with the wheels or turn down the commercial ones? Any chance of a photo of your wheels?

Nick

Thanks, Brian. I've been wondering whether you could get away with code 40. That photo shows it is a bit bulky, but far better than any of the off-the-shelf track. Am I going to try it? Well, let's say I'm rather tempted. At present I'm hovering between exploring what can be done with the standard wheels and turning my own. Do you start from scratch with the wheels or turn down the commercial ones? Any chance of a photo of your wheels?

Nick

Hello Nick. Here is a picture of the wagon I show when asked about Pz wheels. As you can see there's quite a difference. These are the original Marklin wheel reprofiled, I have never made any Pz wheels from scratch although I suppose it could be done. I don't use those awful couplers either, I use Micro Trains. Looking forward to learning how you get on. Regards, Brian.

post-5773-0-29849400-1359190084_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, Brian. Some food for thought there. It's good to know that the supplied wheels can be reprofiled. As to the couplings, I'd read that the Micro Trains ones were the best option. Is there a UK supplier or is it easier to order direct? For me, this is going to be a back-burner project, but I might try some code 40 rail and reprofiling some wheels in the next few weeks.

Nick

Thanks again, Brian. Some food for thought there. It's good to know that the supplied wheels can be reprofiled. As to the couplings, I'd read that the Micro Trains ones were the best option. Is there a UK supplier or is it easier to order direct? For me, this is going to be a back-burner project, but I might try some code 40 rail and reprofiling some wheels in the next few weeks.

Nick

Hello Nick, I think I got my couplers from Macs Models, certainly somewhere in Uk. A few phone calls will probably locate some, Brian.

Archived